Holiday music may presently be heard crooning from your radio this season as many stations change to an all-holiday format. But ‘tis also the season when various radio stations across the country decide to take advantage of the holidays and flip to a new format. Referencing AllAccess.com, RadioInsight.com and other radio industry sites, here is a list of some of the latest format flips taking us into the New Year:
- Classic Country KJUG-AM in Visalia, Calif., is finding their spiritual groove this season and flipped to Religious programming.
- In honor of Colorado’s recent legalization of marijuana, Top 40 KDHT-FM in Aurora, Colo., flipped to Hip-Hop, Classic Rock and Reggae with the tagline, “Denver’s Dope Hits.” This format flip lasted all of a weekend when the station legitimately flipped to an Adult Hits station.
- On Jan. 1, Talk KINF-AM in Boise, Idaho, will flip to a Sports format affiliated with ESPN Radio.
- Classic Hits KMAX-FM in Windsor, Colo., changed to a Rock format earlier this month.
- Family Talk WTDY-AM flipped to Christmas music in a prelude to a format flip later this season. (The new format hasn’t been announced yet).
- Christian Talk/Gospel WMUU-FM in South Carolina flipped to Talk under new owners Caron Broadcasting Inc., in early December.
- Jazz KRML-AM in Monterey, Calif., is now blasting out Top 40 hits.
- An early format flipper, Gospel WPRF-FM in Houma, La., changed to Classic Country WGUO-FM in November.
- According to Radio Insight, Oldies KVLD-FM in Russellville, Ark., flipped to a Classic Rock format on Nov. 15.
- Oldies music station WICL-FM in Williamsport, Md., decided to get countrified and has changed to a Country format.
- Top 40 CFWD-FM in Saskatoon, Sask., is broadcasting Christmas music during the holiday season, but will have a new format after the New Year.
- New York City’s Regional Mexican WQBU-FM flipped to Spanish Tropical in November.
- RadioInk.com reported that Spanish Adult Hits KTZR-AM in Tucson, Ariz., has changed to Contemporary Hits.
- There were several Sports flips reported by Radio Insight, including Adult Contemporary WEZQ-FM in Bangor, Maine, which will change to a Sports format Jan. 1.
- Oldies WMOJ-FM in Cincinnati, Ohio, is also going to a Sports format in the New Year.
- Hot Adult Contemporary KALZ-FM in Fresno, Calif., will flip to Conservative Talk.
- In an unprecedented move, Clear Channel’s Alternative music station WHBA-FM in Boston changed its format to Electronic Dance Music, the first of its kind running full-time on the air.
–Katrina M. Mendolera