Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to email@example.com.
- CisionScoop: ELLE.com named R. Eric Thomas a senior staff writer after just more than a year as a contributor. He continues to write his daily humor column, Eric Reads the News, in addition to other cultural commentary. Thomas is also a playwright and freelance writer.
- CisionScoop: Reviews editor Arthur Gies exited Polygon, a site he helped co-found, to pursue a masters degree in fine arts. He remains a producer and co-host of gaming podcast Rebel FM. Gies previously worked at Joystiq and IGN.
- Michael Tackett will assume a new role as national political correspondent at The New York Times, effective mid-September. He currently serves as deputy editor in the paper’s Washington bureau. Before joining NYT in 2013, Tackett was on staff at Bloomberg News, the Chicago Tribune and U.S. News & World Report.
- The Washington Post hired Eugene Scott to report on identity politics for The Fix; he begins Sept. 5. Scott currently serves as a political reporter for CNN, and has previously written for The Arizona Republic, The Kansas City Star and The Charlotte Observer.
- Tommy Craggs and Luke O’Brien will both join HuffPost‘s Washington bureau on Sept. 5 as senior enterprise editor and Highline contributing editor, respectively. Craggs was previously politics editor at Slate and executive editor at Gawker Media (now Gizmodo Media Group). O’Brien has worked for Village Voice Media, Politico, SF Weekly and Deadspin.
- James Asher was named news editor at the Associated Press Washington bureau. He will oversee coverage of the investigations into interference in the 2016 presidential election, and other key elements of the Trump administration. Asher previously served as Washington bureau chief at McClatchy Newspapers.
- WIRED tapped Erin Griffith as a senior writer in the New York office, starting Sept. 11. Griffith joins from Fortune, where she most recently oversaw its Term Sheet newsletter. She previously wrote for Pando and Adweek.
- Mario Diaz starts a new gig as an investigative reporter at KPRC-TV on Sept. 18. He comes to the Houston NBC affiliate from WPIX-TV in New York. Diaz has more than 20 years of experience in broadcast journalism and has been awarded four Edward R. Murrow Awards and numerous Emmys.
- Henry Meier assumed the post of managing editor at Los Angeles Business Journal, replacing Omar Shamout. Meier joined the staff as a reporter in 2016, and previously wrote for the Los Angeles Daily Journal.