July 11, 2012
/ by Frank Strong
There are hundreds of millions of blogs floating around the Internet today, and sifting through them to find the best content around takes time. However, once you have a solid list, perusing the content from week to week can provide us with a mountain of marketing ideas.
We’ve taken a chop at helping narrow down the list. Here’s 15 (mostly) small business marketing blogs we think are must reads.
1. Small Business Search Marketing. This is something of a side project for Search Engine Land Executive News Editor Matt McGee. Great tips on search marketing and SEO for small business. Check out this article on using Help A Reporter Out: HARO for authoritative link building.
2. allBusiness. The site says it’s the “world’s largest resource for small business” and on the site you’ll find helpful articles on everything from management and employee retention to marketing and sales.
3. Small Business Labs. This blog is penned by Steve Kin and Carolyn Ockels – both Senior Fellows at the Society for New Communications Research – the blog is laden with data-driven posts on big picture trends in small business.
4. Escape from Cubicle Nation. A maverick blogger, Pam Slim helps people break out of corporate jobs and start their own businesses. She writes with a heavy personal interest angle with ideas that are a healthy dose of what’s possible for entrepreneurs.
5. Denise O’Berry. She started her first blog for small business in 2004 and wrote extensively about cash-flow for small business, because she says, “More businesses fail because of insufficient cash flow than for any other reason.” A book publisher called Wiley found her online and she’s never looked back. We especially like her Small Business Tips and Small Business Tools segments of her blog. She once afforded us the opportunity to publish this guest post: News Flash! Press Releases Aren’t Just for the Media Anymore.
6. Planning Startup Stories. Tim Berry is the founder and president of Palo Alto Software which makes software for creating business plans and marketing plans. Tim takes a wide-angle view of small business and covers down on a range of issues affecting entrepreneurs. Despite leading s a software company, he’s an avid blogger too and you’ll find posts he’s written on AMEX Open Forum, Small Business Trends and the Huffington Post too.
7. Flyte. This blog explores web marketing strategies for small business, this blog by Rich Brooks, promises to help small business marketers “attract more qualified traffic and convert that traffic into leads and sales…” Traffic into leads and sales. That sounds like good reading, no?
8. Damn, I Wish I’d Thought of That!. Andy Sernovitz is all about word of mouth marketing. In fact he wrote a New York Times bestseller on that exact topic complete with a forward and afterward by legendary small business advocates Seth Godin and Guy Kawasaki. Darn, I wish we’d thought of that name for a blog!
9. Understanding Marketing. This blog is just about a complete guide for DIY marketing and written for the small business owner. It covers topics from direct mail and public relations – to blogging and social networking. Check out this timeless post on The Value of Press Releases.
10. Jim’s Marketing Blog. Jim Connolly has spent a career helping small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) improve their marketing. What’s unique about Jim is he’s got a view point from both sides of the pond – the US and the UK.
11. Duct Tape Marketing. Looking for smart marketing tips and proven content strategies that are crafted with the small business marketer in mind? John Jantsch writes a must-read blog those looking for actionable ideas.
12. Small Business Trends – Founded by Anita Campbell, this blog is one of the most compressive resources a small business can find. It has a team of contributors, who have earned a long standing reputation for writing about small business including, Susan Payton, Lisa Barone, Laura Leites, and former Wall Street Journal reporter turned entrepreneur TJ McCue. We especially enjoyed this recent post.
13. YoungEntrepreneur.Com – it started as a forum in 1999 and never looked back. Today the site’s blog is rich with ideas for any small business, like this one on brand journalism.
14. Lonely Marketer – small business marketing can be a lonely endeavor, but Patrick Schaber knows that doesn’t mean you can’t share ideas. Ever think about video marketing? Here’s Pat’s beginner’s guide.
15. Shoestring Venture – we’ve all heard about marketing on a shoestring – this blog is the startup bible. Founded by Richard Hooker and Steve Monas the site covers a bit of everything related to startups, from mobile marketing to fundraising.
Photo credit: Flickr
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like: 5 content marketing ideas for your next PRWeb release
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.
1-877-297-8912from 8 AM - 5 PM CT