Holiday music may presently be heard crooning from your radio this season as many stations change to an all-holiday format. But ‘tis also the season when various radio stations across the country decide to take advantage of the holidays and flip to a new format. Referencing AllAccess.com, RadioInsight.com and other radio industry sites, here is a list of some of the latest format flips taking us into the New Year:
- Classic Country KJUG-AM in Visalia, Calif., is finding their spiritual groove this season and flipped to Religious programming.
- In honor of Colorado’s recent legalization of marijuana, Top 40 KDHT-FM in Aurora, Colo., flipped to Hip-Hop, Classic Rock and Reggae with the tagline, “Denver’s Dope Hits.” This format flip lasted all of a weekend when the station legitimately flipped to an Adult Hits station.
- On Jan. 1, Talk KINF-AM in Boise, Idaho, will flip to a Sports format affiliated with ESPN Radio.
- Classic Hits KMAX-FM in Windsor, Colo., changed to a Rock format earlier this month.
- Family Talk WTDY-AM flipped to Christmas music in a prelude to a format flip later this season. (The new format hasn’t been announced yet).
- Christian Talk/Gospel WMUU-FM in South Carolina flipped to Talk under new owners Caron Broadcasting Inc., in early December.
- Jazz KRML-AM in Monterey, Calif., is now blasting out Top 40 hits.
- An early format flipper, Gospel WPRF-FM in Houma, La., changed to Classic Country WGUO-FM in November.
- According to Radio Insight, Oldies KVLD-FM in Russellville, Ark., flipped to a Classic Rock format on Nov. 15.
- Oldies music station WICL-FM in Williamsport, Md., decided to get countrified and has changed to a Country format.
- Top 40 CFWD-FM in Saskatoon, Sask., is broadcasting Christmas music during the holiday season, but will have a new format after the New Year.
- New York City’s Regional Mexican WQBU-FM flipped to Spanish Tropical in November.
- RadioInk.com reported that Spanish Adult Hits KTZR-AM in Tucson, Ariz., has changed to Contemporary Hits.
- There were several Sports flips reported by Radio Insight, including Adult Contemporary WEZQ-FM in Bangor, Maine, which will change to a Sports format Jan. 1.
- Oldies WMOJ-FM in Cincinnati, Ohio, is also going to a Sports format in the New Year.
- Hot Adult Contemporary KALZ-FM in Fresno, Calif., will flip to Conservative Talk.
- In an unprecedented move, Clear Channel’s Alternative music station WHBA-FM in Boston changed its format to Electronic Dance Music, the first of its kind running full-time on the air.
–Katrina M. Mendolera
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.