Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CisionScoop: Digital producer for U.S. News & World Report, Alexandra Pannoni is leaving for The Washington Post. In her new role, Pannoni will be WaPo’s multi-platform editor for emerging and new products. Pannoni had been with U.S. News & World Report since 2015, where she started as a staff writer, covering education. She then moved on to be a web producer, before her most recent role.
CisionScoop: The Observer, the digital daily written for residents of New York City, has promoted associate editor Kelsey Smith to editor, covering politics and business. Smith joined the pub in 2017, and previously worked for Lippe Taylor and Sentinel Solutions.
CisionScoop: Nick Bailey has announced the launch of Black Texas, an online lifestyle magazine that highlights and introduces black-owned businesses and brands in the state of Texas. Bailey will be heading up the magazine as its editor in chief. Previously, Bailey worked as an editor for The East Texan and Texas Lifestyle Magazine.
The following staff changes are underway at The New York Times:
- NYT welcomes Michael Keller, previously a reporter for Bloomberg. He is joining the team as an investigative reporter, covering artificial intelligence, algorithms, robots and technology. Keller has also written for Newsweek, The Daily Beast and Al Jazeera America.
- Katie Rogers, who joined the Washington bureau of NYT last January, is now a White House correspondent. Rogers has been with the paper since 2014, where she started as a staff editor. She has also worked as the social news editor for The Guardian U.S., as well as the social network editor for The Washington Post.
- Gilbert Cruz, television editor and digital journalist covering entertainment and the arts, will be the next culture editor of NYT. Prior to joining NYT, Cruz was with Vulture, where he held positions as senior editor, deputy editor and editorial director. He has also worked as a writer and editor for TIME Magazine.
- Editor Gregory Cowles will be taking on the role of senior editor for the Books desk. He will also oversee poetry reviews. Cowles has been an editor with NYT for 13 years, serving four years on the copy desk, followed by nine years as a preview editor for fiction and poetry.
- Replacing Gregory as fiction preview editors is Tina Jordan. Jordan was the longtime books editor at Entertainment Weekly, where she has worked since the magazine’s founding. She edited all of the magazine’s book coverage, overseeing not just reviews but features and publishing industry news as well.
Entertainment Weekly says goodbye to assistant editor Isabella Biedenharn as she heads into her new positions as the senior publicist for Penguin Random House. Biedenharn had been with EW since 2014, where she covered books.
The following staff changes have been announced at Jezebel:
- Managing editor Joanna Rothkopf has been named senior editor for the magazine, covering features, social issues and politics. Rothkopf has been with Jezebel since 2015, where she has held positions as a staff writer and features editor.
- Moving in to fill the managing editor position is Madeleine Davies, who was previously a senior writer for the magazine. Davies will cover women’s interests, sexism, dating, pop culture and more.
- Julianne Escobedo Shepherd has taken on the title of deputy editor, covering culture, fashion and music. Prior to joining Jezebel, she was the associate editor for AlterNet, and the executive editor for FADER.
Harper’s Bazaar’s longtime creative director Stephen Gan is moving over to Elle, where he will have the same role. Gan spent 16 years with Harper’s Bazaar. He will continue in his role as editor in chief of V Magazine, which he founded in 1999.
Nancy Elliott has been named editor at the Huntington Herald-Press. She will cover local news and events for the paper. The Huntington Herald-Press is published daily for the residents of Huntington, Indiana and the surrounding areas. It covers local news and community events.
Houston FOX affiliate KRIV-TV has promoted Sally MacDonald to weekend morning anchor. MacDonald was previously a general assignment reporter for the station. Before joining KRIV-TV, she was a reporter and fill-in anchor for KFDM-TV.
Mattie John Bamman has left his editor position at Eater Portland, where he covered travel, food and wine. He has been with Eater since 20015, and has also contributed to Edible Portland, Northstar Travel Guide, Northwest Travel & Life, Travel + Escape, Vice, Visitor’s Travel Blog, and Washington Magazine. No replacement has been announced yet.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.