See the original post on Beyond Bylines.
You've got more holiday feature writing to do, while you watch your colleagues start off on their vacations.
This annual deadline doesn't always lead to your most creative writing.
Keep these five things in mind, when readying your news site for the holidays.
News releases get creative.
Thanks to content marketing, news releases have become great vehicles for storytelling. Marketers and publicists know you’re pressed for time and low on staff through the new year, so they’re making releases easier than ever to use.
A quick search of recent releases uncovered these gems, which can be used as stand-alone holiday pieces:
- Bermuda's 12 Days of Holiday Fun
- Holiday Shoppers More Likely to Give Food Gifts During Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa
- Research: Holiday Gifts Can Keep Employees Motivated, Yet Most Companies Surveyed Don't Offer Holiday Reward Programs
- How to Reduce Food Waste over the Holidays [VIDEO]
- Lack of Confidence Keeps Car Buyers From Best Holiday Deals
- Take a Peek Inside Santa's $765,000 Custom North Pole Home
Many releases come with art or graphics.
Stop searching for high-resolution images and/or videos – many of our releases come with multimedia elements, making them easy to upload.
Feel free to publish photos, logos and videos without worrying about copyright issues. Everything on our newswire is fair game for use.
Here are just some of the images you might find, if you search the word "holiday" in our multimedia section of PR Newswire for Journalists.
Advance the story.
The unbelievably destructive California wildfires have been on everyone's minds.
Just around Thanksgiving, CNN reported smoke from the California fires was visible across the country in New York City.
The Camp Fire in Northern California now is 100 percent contained, though it tragically killed 85 and burned more than 153,000 acres. Roughly 14,000 residences have been destroyed.
The recovery for many is underway, and if you're reporting on some of the things happening in response to this disaster, a search on PR Newswire will pull up these items:
- As Wildfire Recovery Begins, American Red Cross Encourages Holiday Home Fire Safety
- Direct Relief Makes $2 Million Cash Commitment to California Wildfire Response and Recovery
- SoCalGas and Sempra Energy Foundation Pledge as Much as $350,000 to California Wildfire Victims
- American Humane Rescue Team Rushes to Help Animals Displaced by California's Deadly Camp Fire
- The State Bar of California Issues Fraud Alert, Warns Fire Victims to Watch for and Report Potential Legal Fraud
- Public Can Access NICB's Geospatial Intelligence Center Images of California Wildfires Damage
- United Way of Greater Los Angeles Announces Disaster Relief Fund for Hill and Woolsey Fires
Now, about that evergreen copy.
Say you’re a magazine and you’ve already closed your holiday gift-giving guide or round-ups months prior. You likely must continue updating your website.
So unless a major news event occurs, you’re probably still recycling the same ideas, tweaking them a bit, and adding a 2018 or 2019 label.
Need some evergreen ideas to start from? Try these:
- Annual publication from The Economist, predicts that 2019 will be jittery
- 3 Tips for Tackling Holiday Travel During Winter Storm Season
- 85 Percent of U.S. Consumers Surveyed Believe Holidays Are a Riskier Time to Shop
- Wine.com Releases 2018 Wine.com 100
- Red Cross Issues Urgent Call for Blood Donations Heading Into Holiday Season
Need to follow up? That’s easy.
OK, so the newsroom’s quiet and you have more than a minute to complete the task of updating the site. You decide to make a few calls to add to and/or change some of the site content.
Finding a source to interview isn’t hard.
Every release that crosses our newswire comes with a media contact at the bottom of the release. Email and phone numbers are standard, and these folks are ready for your questions.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.