The New York Times has announced three new additions to the staff:
- Emily Schmall has joined the international staff as a foreign correspondent based in New Delhi. Schmall was most recently based in New Delhi for the Associated Press, serving as South Asia correspondent. Prior to this, she was a correspondent for the AP in Fort Worth, Texas. Before that, she was a stringer for The New York Times and Reuters in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and also worked for Forbes as chief reporter for the Forbes 400.
- Nestor Ramos will join The New York Times Metro desk later this month as an assistant editor. Ramos is currently deputy metro editor at The Boston Globe. He joined the Globe as a general assignment reporter and feature writer in 2014, and also wrote columns about Boston-centric issues, as well as food. Prior to this, he was a reporter for the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.
- Ephrat Livni joined the Times' DealBook staff as a reporter in Washington, covering the intersection of business, policy and the law for the newsletter and the Business desk in general. Livni comes to the New York Times from the Supreme Court beat at Quartz, which she joined as a senior reporter in 2016. Aside from journalism, she has worked in the legal field as a public defender and a document review attorney, and also served in the Peace Corps.
INSIDER welcomed Joi-Marie McKenzie Lewis as deputy editor of entertainment, overseeing entertainment and celebrity coverage from New York, Los Angeles and the U.K. She comes to INSIDER from Essence, where she's been senior entertainment editor for the past two years. McKenzie Lewis also served as digital editor for Good Morning America, entertainment/lifestyle editor for ABC News, and is the author of the critically acclaimed "The Engagement Game."
Whembley Sewell was promoted to editor in chief of Them from Conde Nast. She was most recently executive editor of the digital LGBTQ+ magazine since 2019, following two years as a channel manager overseeing platform programming strategy for Teen Vogue. Before this, Sewell was a social media editor for Hearst Digital, and a programming associate for Refinery29.
Jason Davis joined Crain's Detroit Business as a reporter, covering small business. Davis was most recently a sports writer for C&G Newspapers in Warren, Michigan, and prior to this, covering a variety of beats for the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus. Before that, he was news editor and editorial manager for the Dearborn Press & Guide, and a staff writer for the Northville Record.
Law360 added Emily Lever as a new reporter covering general assignments on the legal industry. Lever most recently wrote for Gothamist.com, covering arts, crime, policy, food and offbeat stories. She interned for The Daily Star in Lebanon and also worked for the AFP previously.
Shelby Cashman is moving to KOCO-TV as morning anchor for the ABC affiliate in Oklahoma City. It's a homecoming for Cashman, who previously worked as an anchor for Oklahoma City's FOX affiliate, KOKH-TV. She was most recently an anchor for KOAT-TV in Albuquerque, and previously worked for WCAX-TV in Burlington, Vermont and for WBFF-TV in Baltimore.
Two promotions were announced at Beasley Media Group's WKLB-FM in Boston:
- Dawn Santolucito was promoted to assistant program director. She first joined the station in 2009 as marketing director, and will continue to serve in that capacity as well.
- Jim Clerkin, producer for the morning show, will now serve as music director for the station. He joined the staff in June 2019 as a producer, and previously served as executive producer and an on air personality for WKRO-FM in Boston.
Be a Live Guest on Cision's Take 5 Series!
The Take 5 sessions is a bi-weekly series hosted by Cision where we discuss today’s top media trends, everyday tips for PR pros on how to best work with journalists, and the state of the industry. If you’d like to be considered as a speaker for this series, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.