Grazia USA has announced a series of key editorial hires:
- Zoe Ruffner has joined the outlet as fashion and beauty features director, overseeing all fashion and beauty features for the brand’s print and digital editions. She was previously beauty editor at Vogue, and has also contributed to Harper’s Bazaar, ELLE, and the Los Angeles Times.
- Gabrielle Prescod has been named market director, and she is responsible for all fashion market coverage. Prescod was previously the senior fashion market editor at BDG Media where she oversaw original fashion and celebrity features for Bustle, Nylon, The Zoe Report, Elite Daily, and Romper.
- Channing Hargrove has joined as culture editor and will oversee all pop culture coverage at the publication. Most recently, she was the fashion news editor at Refinery29, where she was co-creator of Unbothered, R29's fastest growing sub-brand created by and for millennial black women.
- Kathleen Burns has been named editorial coordinator. She was previously assistant to the editor in chief at InStyle.
Thomas Moore will join The Hill Feb. 16 as media reporter. He will focus on the intersection of politics and media. Moore is currently wrapping up his duties as a senior reporter and opinion editor at PRWeek, a position he has held since 2018. Prior to that, he reported on the gambling and casino businesses for the Las Vegas Sun.
The Kansas City Star has hired Jeanne Kuang as Statehouse reporter. She was most recently a reporter at The News Journal Media Group, where she covered the city of Wilmington, Delaware, with a focus on local government watchdog/enterprise reporting. Before that, Kuang reported on the justice system at Injustice Watch.
Amelia Edelman is the new deputy editor of Meredith's cross-brand Finance Desk for Real Simple, Better Homes & Gardens, Parents, Health, and other magazines. She works on the intersection of lifestyle and personal finance, from planning cost-effective home renovations to travel on a budget to saving for school and beyond. Most recently, Edelman was a senior editor at SheKnows and before that worked at Refinery29.
The Associated Press has re-assigned reporter Josh Boak to the White House and now covers President Joe Biden’s handling of the economy, both the policies his administration is championing and the impact of those policies on Americans. Boak has been a Washington-based reporter for the AP since 2013 and has since covered the economy. Before that, he was a deputy Washington bureau chief for The Fiscal Times and an economics reporter for Politico.
Glenn Gamboa has joined the Associated Press business department as philanthropy editor. He will write and edit stories on how philanthropies are changing to meet the challenges of the current time. Gamboa was most recently the managing editor of Karma, and independent business journalism site, and before that spent almost two decades at Newsday. He led Newsday's coverage on the influence of hip-hop that was a Pulitzer Prize finalist in explanatory reporting.
Michelle Maltais has been promoted to managing editor of consumer news at USA Today. She will supervise coverage that includes consumer issues, technology and travel, and will report on what’s important to readers as consumers – shoppers and savers – to help them feel confident and informed in areas they spend their time and money Maltais joined the paper in 2018 as an editor in Money and Tech, overseeing coverage of retail, food and technology.
The Boston Globe has welcomed Emma Platoff as politics reporter. She comes from the Texas Tribune, where she was most recently justice and politics reporter covering politics and its intersections with the law, including pay-to-play practices at the Texas Supreme Court.
The Markup has recruited Dara Kerr as a reporter covering labor. She focuses on Silicon Valley employees, gig and warehouse workers, and the ways labor is changing. She’s interested in how companies are redefining work and what that means for society. Kerr was previously with CBS Interactive as a senior reporter for CNET, writing about the gig economy.
TechCrunch has promoted two to editors, and hired two reporters:
- Jonathan Shieber has been promoted to climate editor, upped from venture capital reporter. He will focus on startups, and funding behind renewables, environmental technology, and green businesses. Shieber has been on staff since 2014.
- Kirsten Korosec has been promoted to transportation editor. She will expand coverage on electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles, automotive electronics, and other advancements in transportation. Korosec was most recently a senior reporter covering transportation and joined TechCrunch from Fortune in 2018.
- Tage Kene-Okafor has joined the staff as a reporter covering African startups. He comes from Techpoint Africa, where he was a reporter based in Lagos, Nigeria.
- Sophie Burkholder has joined as health tech reporter covering startups from health and biotech to enterprise. She was most recently an intern at PublicSource.
Nihal Krishan now covers big tech as a reporter for the Washington Examiner. He focused on the intersection of politics and technology, including Section 230, antitrust investigations/regulations, censorship, misinformation, and data privacy. Most recently, he covered economics for the outlet and has been on staff since 2019.
Reem Abdellatif has joined travel industry site, Skift, as an editorial assistant. She was previously a contributor for Skift based in Dubai, and reported on the MENA region before the pandemic hit. Abdellatif has previously worked as a correspondent for The Wall Street Journal, and the Los Angeles Times.
The Wall Street Journal has shifted White House reporter Rebecca Ballhaus to the Investigations team. She will focus on the government. Ballhous has been with The Journal since 2013 and has covered covered money in politics and the 2016 campaign. She has spent her entire journalism career at the paper.
David Freeman has joined The Wall Street Journal as science bureau chief. He was previously an editorial director , MACH the science, tech, and innovations section on NBCNews.com. Before that, Freeman spent five years at HuffPost as science editor and managing editor of the innovations section.
Andrew Blye is the new reporter at the Phoenix Business Journal covering financial services, banking and technology, as well as private equity and venture capital deals. He was most recently at the Dow Jones News Fund and part of the 2020 Class of Dow Jones News Fund interns.
Nick Vega is the new money reporter at CNBC Make It. He spent the past three years at the New York Post as a reporter covering technology, and before that interned at Business Insider. CNBC Make it focuses on how you earn, save, and spend your money.
KOAT-TV, the ABC station in Albuquerque, New Mexico, has tapped Ron Burke as news anchor. He co-anchors the 4 p.m. news shows Monday through Friday, and serves as the station’s sports anchor during the 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. shows. Burke comes from WPBF-TV in West Palm Beach, Florida, where he’s been anchoring weekends since 2018.
NBC-owned WPTZ-TV in Plattsburgh, New York, has moved morning anchor Alice Kang to the evening team. She will anchor the 5, 6 and 11 p.m. newscasts, as well as the 10 p.m. on WNNE, the CW affiliate. Kang has been at the station since 2018 and launched the first 4:30 a.m. morning show in the market.
Danny Freeman has joined WCAU-TV, the NBC station in Philadelphia, as political reporter. He comes from NBC 7 San Diego, where he spent three years as political reporter and host of the station’s weekly public affairs show, "Politically Speaking." Prior to that, Freeman worked at KGET, the NBC station in Bakersfield, California.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.