Tim Chan has been named director of commerce for Billboard Magazine. In his new role, he will lead lifestyle and e-commerce coverage for Billboard, while working with the sales and marketing team on tentpole events and franchises. Chan will continue to serve as director of products and commerce for Rolling Stone, alongside his new role at Billboard. He has been at Penske Media since 2016.
Entertainment Weekly has announced top editorial changes:
- Mary Margaret has been named editor in chief, making her the first female top editor at the magazine; she starts April 12. She most recently worked at HubSpot, a sales-software platform where she was senior director of product marketing. Before that, Margaret led product content strategy teams for Facebook’s entertainment products and was Roku’s first editorial director for almost two years.
- Dan Wakeford will expand his role at Meredith and will serve as editorial director at Entertainments Weekly. He will continue in his role as editor in chief of People magazine. He has been at People since 2015 when he started as deputy editor and before that spent 12 years at Bauer Publishing as editor in chief of In Touch and Life & Style magazines.
Bijal Trivedi has joined National Geographic magazine as senior science editor. She is a veteran science writer who spent the past two decades specializing in biology, biotechnology, and medical research. Her work has appeared in Scientific American, Wired, New Scientist, National Geographic, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Discover, The Economist, Science, Nature, and many others. Most recently, Trivedi was the science and technology editor at The Conversation US.
The Washington Post has announced a promotion and a new hire:
- April Bethea has been promoted to deputy education editor. Most recently, she served as a night editor on the Metro desk and before that was the national homepage editor on the Universal News Desk. Bethea has been at The Post since 2016 and before that worked for the Charlotte Observer.
- Marianna Sotomayor has joined The Post’s national politics team as a reporter covering Congress. She comes from NBC News, where she worked on the Hill after a successful run covering Joe Biden’s presidential campaign
Michael Zelenko has joined Rest of World as deputy editor. He most recently served as the executive editor at Medium and had been on staff since 2018. Prior to that, Zelenko worked at The Verge and The Fader. Rest of World launched in 2020 as a nonprofit digital journalism organization focused on the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble.
The New York Times has announced several editorial staff updates at two of its sections:
- Rachel Dry has been promoted to Sunday Business editor. She joined the business team after a stint as deputy politics editor and has been at The Time since 2015. Prior to that, Dry spent nine years at The Washington Post.
- Molly Bennet has been promoted to managing editor of The New York Times for Kids, the monthly, print-only section for kids. She has been an editor on the Labs team since 2018 and has previously worked at The Village Voice.
- Amber Williams, the previous managing editor, Kids, has been upped to editorial director of the section. She has been at the paper since 2017 and before that worked at Scientific American and Popular Science magazines.
Zack O'Malley Greenburg is the new features writer at INSIDER focusing on longform writing. He spent the past decade at Forbes, most recently as senior editor of media and entertainment. His work has also appeared the New York Times, Washington Post, Vanity Fair, Billboard, Sports Illustrated, and other publications.
Politico has two staff updates:
- Liz Crampton, who has spent the past three years on the agriculture policy team, has taken on a new position covering state policy and legislative trends across the country. She joined the outlet in 2016 from Bloomberg BNA.
- Julia Arcigahas joined the staff as a reporter covering federal legislation. She focuses on a wide range of issues on Capitol Hill, writing bill analyses and helping helm the Day Ahead newsletter. She’ll primarily cover cybersecurity, defense, energy, health care, technology and transportation. Arciga was previously at Law360
USA Today has welcomed Craig Harris as business investigative reporter. He spent most of his career at the Arizona Republic, where he spent more than two decades as an investigative reporter. Harris has also reported for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Louisville Courier Journal.
The Desert Sun has tapped James B. Cutchin as a business reporter, who will begin his duties at the end of March. He comes from the Los Angeles Business Journal, where he had covered banking and finance since 2019. Prior to that, Cutchin was a business reporting fellow at the Los Angeles Times.
Sportico has tapped veteran journalist Kurt Badenhausen as a reporter. He spent the past 23 years at Forbes, most recently as senior editor and focused mainly on the business of sports and its annual franchise valuations. Before that, Badenhausen was a reporter for Financial World magazine.
Rick Green has been promoted to senior editor at Bloomberg News. He will work at the new markets editing hub which also deals with credit, equities, and cross-assets. Most recently, Green was a team leader for the destressed company news team, and before that has served as corporate finance editor and senior editor on the U.S. finance team. He has been at Bloomberg since 2006.
The Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal has welcomed Iain Carlos as a reporter covering entrepreneurs of color. He was most recently a summer intern as part of the Dow Jones News Fund and has also previously interned at the Northfield News in Minnesota.
The Wall Street Journal has moved reporter Emily Glazer to a new beat and now covers business leaders and their power with a focus on developing sources with boards, CEOs and their advisers. Most recently, Glazer covered tech, money and politics during the 2020 election season. She has been on staff since 2014 and has covered a wide range of topics including bankruptcy, corporate distress, and consumer products.
Shannon Miller has joined Adweek as a senior editor of creative and representation. She comes from The AV Club where she worked since 2019 as a news editor. As a freelance writer, Miller has contributed entertainment and media stories to Hello Giggles, Black Girl Nerds, and more.
Eamon Javers has been promoted to senior Washington correspondent at CNBC. He will focus on the role of money and influence in the nation's capital, as well as the Justice Department and dark corners of cybercrime. Most recently, Javers covered the Trump White House for the network and has been on staff since 2010.
KUSA-TV, the NBC station in Denver, Colorado, has welcomed Kelly Reinke as a reporter. She comes from WXIN-TV in Indiana, where she spent two years as a reporter. Prior to that, Reinke spent six years at Annenberg TV News.
KARK-TV, the NBC station in Little Rock, Arkansas, has promoted Hunter Hoagland to weekend anchor. He has been a reporter at the station since June 2020. Before that, he reported for WRCB-TV in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he started his journalism career.
Rebecca White has joined WPBX-FM Spokane Public Radio as a reporter and host. She was most recently a news reporter for The Spokesman-Review and also freelanced for The Dayton Chronicle. Prior to that, White served as managing editor of The Daily Evergreen, the student newspaper for Washington State University.
KFSN-TV, the ABC station in Fresno, California, has welcomed back Elisa Navarro as a multimedia journalist. She was most recently an anchor and producer at KXXV-TV in Waco, Texas, and has previously interned at KFSN-TV.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.