The opportunities to promote your organization and get your brand in front of a new audience of potential customers can be found by discovering newsworthy reasons to send a press release.
In this series, we have outlined press releases related to company news, employee news, product and service offerings, events, financial disclosures, recognition and more.
Stakeholders are increasingly demanding that organizations make progress on environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues. Consequently, more and more companies are sending out press releases outlining their ESG initiatives. Show audiences you're doing your part to address the most critical issues of our time.
ESG Topics to Consider for Your Next Press Release: What Audiences Want
Here are some topics to consider that can connect the dots between ESG and brands for your audiences.
Launching efforts to reduce environmental footprint. From implementing advanced recycling initiatives to reducing packaging or lowering energy consumption, there are myriad ways organizations can improve their impact on the environment. Customers, investors and employees strongly support and encourage any steps organizations take to limit their harm to the environment, so if there is effort to be a better corporate citizen, that’s more than enough reason to create a press release about it.
- Kellogg helping rice farmers reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Alaska Airlines eliminates inflight plastic cups: West Coast-based airline becomes first U.S. carrier to replace plastic with planet-friendly alternative
- Toyota and Lexus Offer Lower Emissions EV Charging Program
Publishing a sustainability report. More and more organizations are choosing to include sustainability goals and metrics as part of their quarterly and yearly disclosures. To provide that information in one place, many organizations have taken to publishing annual sustainability reports that outline their progress. If your organization has the resources and bandwidth to create a report of your own – and it makes sense for your brand – consider gifting investors and customers with this gift of knowledge – in the form of a press release.
- McCain Foods 2022 Sustainability Report Spotlights Key Progress & Opportunity for Sustainable, Regenerative Food Production
- John Deere's 2022 Sustainability Report Shows Progress Against Key Goals
- Targus® Announces Sustainability Strategy in its First Global Sustainability Report
Setting or reaching goals to increase diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Customers and investors prefer to patronize and invest in companies committed to creating a fair and equitable workplace for their employees and business partners. (Not to mention a more diverse, inclusive work environment will only make your organization stronger.) If your organization is making concerted efforts to create a more diverse and inclusive environment, sharing the reasons for doing so – and how you’re going about it – can go a long way in generating brand loyalty.
- Medtronic continues to make significant advances as an Inclusion, Diversity & Equity leader
- Synchrony Commits $100 Million to Grow Minority-Owned Businesses
- All-Female Legal Team at Foster Law Firm Flips the Script on Family Law and Criminal Defense
Creating an environment that sets employees up for success. Treating employees well isn’t just goodwill – it’s good for business and your brand rep. Not only will you attract (and retain) more talent the better you treat your employees, but you will also be more attractive to potential customers, who increasingly want to conduct business with companies that do good by their employees. Show your stakeholders how you are investing in those actually creating the products and services your organization delivers, and your stakeholders will invest in you right back.
- Harley-Davidson Announces Plans for a Community Park to Benefit Its Employees and the Milwaukee Community
- Sharecare launches VR program to improve well-being of American workforce and bring innovation to exercise
- Northwestern Mutual Announces $500M Investment in Downtown Milwaukee Campus
Announcing changes to the company board. For public companies, investors want to know that major decisions have the oversight of an independent and capable board. Announcing an addition to your board in a press release shows investors that your company is committed to transparency.
- Jill Soltau to Join Southwest Airlines' Board of Directors
- BerGenBio Announces the Establishment of Oncology Scientific Advisory Board
- New ArcBest Board Member Added
3 Tips for Creating a Strong ESG Release
- Use specific target dates and well-defined goals. Companies are increasingly running the risk of being accused of "greenwashing" or "diversity-washing" when announcing new commitments to environmental or diversity goals. Show your audience that you are walking the talk by including specific, measurable goals and outlining how you will ensure accountability in reaching those goals.
- Ensure you're only sharing attainable milestones. While it is important to set and share tangible goals, make sure they are realistic. Saying that your company will become carbon neutral by 2050 sounds laudable, but is it achievable for your brand? If not, focus on smaller, more manageable goals your organization can reach.
- Highlight the main takeaway in your headline. In many of the ESG press release examples we've shared, the headlines not only explain the "what" but also answer the all-important question, "Why should your audience care?" Your press release will be more compelling (and more likely to receive engagement) if you present your primary conclusion up front.
More Reasons to Write a Press Release
Check out the rest of our series on all the newsworthy reasons to write a press release:
- Part 1: Company Growth
- Part 2: Employee News
- Part 3: Product or Service New
- Part 4: Branding and Marketing
- Part 5: Events
- Part 6: Original Content
- Part 7: Recognition
- Part 8: Financials
Want to ensure your brand's ESG message strikes the right chord? Check out The Growing Importance of ESG in Corporate Communications.
Need help with your ESG strategy? We have solutions.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.
About Erin Payton
Erin Payton is an Integrated Marketing Manager for Distribution at Cision. In her role, she develops multichannel marketing campaigns, drives demand generation, fosters brand awareness and creates thought leadership. Away from the keyboard, she is an unabashedly enthusiastic cat mom to Mia.