6 free and indispensable sites to fuel your PR jet pack
(Photo – Flickr Creative Commons: jurvetson)
Traveling to infinity and beyond with your PR plans? You’ll need some fuel for that jet pack. Here I’ve listed just a few of my favorite tools and blogs that always satisfy my craving for info on public relations, pitching, social media and the like for small businesses or PR pros:
1) Helpareporter.com – Brainchild of the infamous Peter Shankman, Help a Reporter Out (HARO) has made waves in the PR world as one of the easiest and most useful platforms to pitch a reporter, ever. Almost 30,000 reporters submit specific queries through the system which go out to over 100,000 people who sign up for the 3x daily email list. Find a query you’re an expert on, and pitch politely. Outlets using the service range from the New York Times to CNN and national lifestyle magazines.
2) Muckrack.com – Since 2009, Muck Rack has been listing the journalists available on Twitter for your delight. Journalists are categorized by beats (topics of coverage) as well as media outlet. Be sure to use Muck Rack wisely in order to research and engage with the journalist of your choice. Spam or pitch too early, and you’ll find yourself blacklisted by the journo on Twitter.
3) Searchenginejournal.com – It’s not just about pitching anymore. PR is now about creating great content online, and with that comes SEO. Search Engine Optimization is easier than you think—with a little research, a few links and some multimedia, you’ll be on your way to higher search engine rankings for your webpage. So buckle up and subscribe to this blog for an SEO turbo boost.
4) Toiletpaperentrepreneur.com – Mike Michalowicz and his blog center on the fundamentals of building a small business from the ground up with little money but tons of resources. Tips are from Mike himself and a slew of readers all experienced in small business, social media, networking and public relations.
6) Socialmediaexaminer.com – Need a guide to the social media jungle? Social Media Examiner has got it. Whether you are a beginner or a social media strategist, there is always something new on this blog. And the little mascot is pretty cute too.
Like these sites? Stay tuned—I’ll conjure up a few more in my post next month.
You may also enjoy: 31 Must-Follow People on Twitter
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.