“Fun Fact” Friday — 9/9: San Francisco Giants
As the penant race heats up, a lot of us in the Bay Area are paying extra close attention to one in particular: The Giants and the Diamondbacks. This past weekend was a big one when the two faced off in San Francisco — the Giants best opportunity to close the gap between them and Arizona to lead the NL West. While I was watching the games rooting for the orange and black, I thought it would be interesting to keep an eye on the social media conversations surrounding this big series…
As the Giants find themselves 7.5 games behind the Diamondbacks with 19 games left in the regular season, it will be fun (and maybe torturous) to watch as the rest of September unfolds…
The Giants have a great social media presence that is both entertaining and informative, but there are also a number of other people on Twitter including beat reporters, Giants organization affiliates, superfans and regular fans that keep the conversations going. Here’s a quick look at some social media activity around the SF Giants over the past 7 days:
- Over the past 7 days, there have more than 18,700 mentions posted about the Giants across the social Web.
- More than 7,978 unique Twitter users mentioned the team in their posts.
- There are some big names paying attention to this penant race, including U.S. Senator John McCain @SenJohnMcCain, ESPN’s Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN and Funkmaster Flex @funkmasterflex, who are all among the top influencers by impact combining for a total of 2,072,631 followers.
- The top three Facebook fan pages based on number of fans are: the San Francisco Giants official fan page, the Tim Lincecum fan page and the San Francisco Giants Fanatics page.
- Both Twitter and Facebook users talked about the Giants generally positively with about 58% mentions (Twitter) and 57% (Facebook) expressing positive sentiment on each, 21% (Twitter) and 15% (Facebook) neutral and 21% (Twitter) and 28% (Facebook) negative.
- The video that was shared this week with the most total views was “MLB 2K11 Demo: Xbox 360 Gameplay – Rangers vs. Giants” with 53,707 views.
So enjoy the fun facts and the rest of the regular 2011 season!
Have an idea for a future featured profile? Let us know in the comments!
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.