Social Media Timeline: What Has Changed Since 2008?
The year was 2008. Barack Obama was named president, Apple launched its app store and Google announced Google Chrome.
Flash forward to today, when a memento from 2008 surfaced in my desk drawer: notes from Amber Naslund’s social media presentation at Cision. Her passion for social media is the reason I joined Twitter.
Let’s take a look at some of her advice and recommendations, and see how it compares to the social media scene four years later.
Books Amber recommended:
Popular Books Launched Since Then:
- Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
- Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (& Other Social Networks)
- The NOW Revolution: 7 Shifts to Make Your Business Faster, Smarter and More Social
- Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers into Friends & Friends into Customers
- To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth about Moving Others
- Return on Influence: The Revolutionary Power of Klout, Social Scoring and Influence Marketing
Advice, circa 2008, from Amber Naslund:
“Look where the audience is; follow them.”
“Package [information] for individuals, not groups.”
“Listen. Learn. Connect. Cultivate.”
The above advice still applies to social media, which enforces that it is indeed about the message and not the medium. Here are a few more wise words that have been spoken since 2008:
“Your Customers Are Listening in Social Media. And So Are Search Engines.”
– Li Evans
“Quit counting fans, followers and blog subscribers like bottle caps. Think, instead, about what you’re hoping to achieve with and through the community that actually cares about what you’re doing.”
– Amber Naslund
“Creating content isn’t the last step. You have to promote your content to amplify it.”
– Heidi Sullivan
What differences have you noticed in social media since 2008?
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.