How Arianna Huffington Conquered the News
Every great business success has an even greater story behind it. When you look at the world’s largest brands, what do you see? Coca-Cola, Apple, FedEx – what stands out the most about these businesses?
Perhaps it’s their marketing. The content they present day, the problems they solve and the whimsy they conjure are all contributing factors to successful brand marketing. However, these brands, and all brands have milestones to conquer before they can take center stage.
Take Demand Success keynote Arianna Huffington for example. She’s on Forbes’ list of the Most Influential Women in Media and The Guardian’s Top 100 in Media. Now President and Editor-in-Chief of The Huffington Post, this multi-millionaire power entrepreneur has achieved many marketing milestones to get where she is today. Here’s a timeline of her biggest accomplishments in business to prime you for her Demand 13 session:
- 1970s and 80s– Arianna writes several books on women in culture and art icons like Pablo Picasso
- 1997 – Nominated for a Emmy for her coverage of the 1996 election on Comedy Central
- 2003- Huffington heads The Detroit Project, a public interest group lobbying automakers to start producing cars that run on alternative fuels
- 2003 – Huffington runs for the Governor of California recall election as an independent candidate
- 2005 – The Huffington Post is founded
- 2006 – HuffPo gets venture capital funding
- 2006/2007 – HuffPo gets Webby Awards for best Politics Blog
- 2008 – HuffPo Chicago launched
- 2009 – HuffPo New York, Denver, LA launched
- 2009 – TIME names HuffPo one of the 25 best blogs
- 2010 – People’s Choice Award in the Webbys
- 2011 – HuffPo San Francisco, Detroit, Miami, Canada, UK, launched
- 2011- The Huffington Post is acquired by AOL for over $300 million
- 2012 – HuffPo Spain, Germany and Italy launched
- 2012 – The Huffington Post becomes the first commercially run U.S. digital media enterprise to win a Pulitzer Prize
- 2013 – HuffPo Japan launched
The evolution of The Huffington Post is a rapid and interesting phenomenon to observe. Over the span of eight years Arianna Huffington built a media empire from scratch. How did she do it so quickly? She became an expert at what she was interested in, gained buy-in from the industry through awards and expanded to offer precisely what the industry wanted: news coverage nationally and eventually, globally.
The Huffington Post is a unique brand that offers original content on politics, entertainment, style, world news, technology and comedy. Not only does it broadcast, but it fosters conversation within its blogs and news stories that house over 1 million comments each month.
Creating this news and information centric community helped to propel HuffPo’s popularity. What unique value proposition does your brand offer? Answer this question to take the first step towards achieving your marketing milestones.
Want to hear more from Arianna? Hear her speak at Demand Success this June.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.