Social media analysis: Ten questions to drive advanced segmentation
In our webcast today – Turbocharging Your Approach to Social Media Analysis – Cathy Buena discussed an approach to analyzing business problems using advanced segmentation with social media analytics. It was a fantastic presentation that has generated lots of interest, so we wanted to make some of the information available as soon as we could. Here it is! (Note: To view the entire recorded webcast, see our site. Learn More>>Webinars. The content will be available Nov 22.)
The analytic process can be broken down into 5 steps:
- Developing the Research Question
- Defining the Data Universe
- Building the Data Structure
- Assessing the Quantitative Data
- Assessing the Qualitative Data
Under these 5 steps, Cathy suggested 10 key questions that you can use to get started.
1. Developing the Research Question
- What are the challenges to the category?
- What do we want to know about our consumers related to these challenges?
- What “layering” should we employ so that the scope is not so daunting and the questions don’t pre-empt the nature of the dialogue?
2. Defining the Data Universe
- What data universe will provide us with the most meaningful perspective? Brand level? Product level? Or mindset level?
- What data assets are important to compare against each other?
- What equivalence decisions do we need to keep in mind regarding these assets?
3. Building the Data Structure
- What high-level definitive or thematic segments should we consider as we begin exploring the data universe?
4. Assessing the Quantitative Data
- While we may not view social media as a quantitative tool, are there non-negotiable data points that the listening research needs to deliver?
5. Assessing the Qualitative Data
- What is our threshold for qualitative analysis?
- Do we need to plan for potentially doing further quantification of essential themes?
Of course, this is not meant to be exhaustive, but we hope it gives you a good place to start. If you are able to answer these questions in theory, but not able to execute due to the limits of your social media analytics platform, we would love to talk. Request a demo by clicking here.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.