This is a guest post by Heather Whaling, president of Geben Communication.
As humans, change is happening all around us every day–but it’s how we react to the shift that determines success. In the public relations and communications industries, it’s imperative to be prepared and flexible for whatever changes are happening within the space. Whether it’s new social platforms, better ways to measure and monitor, or keeping on top of trends, the future of PR depends on responding at a moment’s notice. Let’s hear from some inspiring leaders on the benefits of embracing change:
• “Your success in life isn’t based on your ability to simply change. It is based on your ability to change fa ster than your competition, customers and business.” – Mark Sanborn Click to Tweet!
• “Slowness to change usually means fear of the new.” – Philip Crosby Click to Tweet!
• “If you push through that feeling of being scared, that feeling of taking risk, really amazing things can happen.” – Marissa Mayer Click to Tweet!
• “Change before you have to.” – Jack Welch Click to Tweet!
• “Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.” – Steve Jobs Click to Tweet!
• “Things don’t have to change the world to be important.” – Steve Jobs Click to Tweet!
• “We cannot change what we are not aware of, and once we are aware, we cannot help but change.” – Sheryl Sandberg Click to Tweet!
• “The rate of change is not going to slow down anytime soon. If anything, competition in most industries will probably speed up even more in the next few decades.” – John P. Kotter Click to Tweet!
• “Walls turned sideways are bridges.” – Angela Davis Click to Tweet!
• “The price of doing the same old thing is far higher than the price of change.” – Bill Clinton Click to Tweet!
• “Focus on constant iteration of your product or service. Never hold too closely to your idea but be open to change or innovation.” — Jean Chong Click to Tweet!
• “Don’t think what’s the cheapest way to do it or the fastest way to do it…think ‘what’s the most amazing way to do it.’” – Richard Branson Click to Tweet!
• “The characteristic of great innovators and great companies is they see a space that others do not. They don’t just listen to what people tell them; they actually invent something new, something that you didn’t know you needed, but the moment you see it, you say, ‘I must have it.’” – Eric Schmidt Click to Tweet!
• “To lead in an ever-changing world, leaders must adapt and stay nimble.” – Indra Nooyi Click to Tweet!
Heather Whaling is the president of Geben Communication and founder of prTini. She co-moderates the popular #pr20chat, a weekly live Twitter chat exploring social media’s influence on public relations, and is a contributor to the PR Breakfast Club. Follow her on Twitter @prtini .
[Image by Jamie McCaffrey via Flickr]
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.