How to Embrace Your Inner Self-Publicist
Some marketers feel a little nervous about raising their head above the parapet and shouting, “Hey everyone, look at me!” But in the crazy world of social media marketing, where your voice needs to be heard above all the noise of countless other marketers,sometimes that is just what you’ve got to do.
The fact is that very few people are natural self-publicists. Many people don’t like to draw too much attention to themselves, fearing other people’s reactions to their endeavours. Instead they find it easier to keep quiet or continue to throw money at all those expensive acquisition marketing technique that used to work so well. In this socially-enabled age, it is highly likely such an approach will deliver ever diminishing returns and ultimately result in failure.
Social media marketers cannot hide behind their spreadsheets and overly complicated analytic software suites. They must become the creative, energetic and articulate individuals that everyone imagines marketers to be.
5 Steps to Becoming a Successful Self-Publicist
- Know Your Product: There can be no short cuts here. If you don’t know (and love) your product or service, you’ll be quickly ousted as nothing but snake oil seller. The Internet is littered with this kind of people – you don’t want to one of them.
- Know Your Audience: Equally as important as knowing your product or service.Get to know the people, who ultimately pay your wages, as well as you do you friends and family. You never know when you might need them to help you get your message out there. Remember, it’s called “SOCIAL” for a very good reason.
- Solve Problems: I believe the best marketing attempts to solve problems for your existing and potential clients. If you don’t know what problems you customers currently suffer from, you need to go back and read points #1 and #2.
- Support Your Community: Endorse your friends and followers opinion, share posts and engage in conversations. Whenever possible do something useful for someone without expecting anything in return. Karma has a great way of rewarding people who are kind.
- Be Persistent: You’ve got to keep pushing great content out there. Think of your social media activity like a pulse. It shows the world you are alive and in good health. Stop and start engaging erratically and your audience will start to think that something is wrong.
To find out how Viralheat can help you promote yourself and your organization the right way on social media, join us for a free product demonstration every Thursday at 1pm (PST), 10am (EST), 6pm (UK).
Photo credit: Tom Marcello
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.