Cheat Sheet: Google+ for Marketing and PR
Google describes Google+ as “one Google account for everything Google.” It could be considered the “one ring.” It’s meant to bind all things Internet together. While it is a social network, its value may be higher for search than for connections.
Google+ has over 343 million active users. However, only 22 percent of Internet-using adults use the site each month.
While users tend to share more “newsy” content, they aren’t opposed to what brands are saying either. According to Digital Insights, over half of all Google+ users (53 percent) view brand interaction in a positive light.
Despite the hype, Google+ remains a niche network. Businesses can find loyal communities on it, but they should do some research before committing to creating and maintaining a company page. That being said, it is important to have a page in order to reap the benefits of +1’s in search results.
1. Create a Google+ company page. Pages are indexed, which means you increase both your company’s search visibility and your ability to be found by customers interested in your products and services.
2. Take advantage of what Google+ company pages offer. With Google+, you can have hangouts, start campfires, and even email followers. You can’t do any of those things on its main, unnamed, competitor.
3. Add the +1 button to your website. The button increases your search rankings.
4. Set up Google+ authorship. If you want your individual content to be connected to you and to show up higher in search results, you have to have Google+ authorship. Once you do, you get not only higher search rankings but also a beautiful byline and thumbnail of yourself that accompanies your content in search results. On Google+, you can list the sites where you have authorship enabled and be noted as an official contributor.
5. Use video. If you have a YouTube account, you’re ahead of the game. YouTube comments are now integrated with Google+. What does that mean? If someone comments on your video on YouTube, the comment and the video automatically show up in the Google+ news stream. In addition, Hangouts can be posted to your YouTube account, too.
6. Like other networks, Google+ has official information for businesses. Check it out to see if any rumors circulating have been officially verified.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.