Comms Cloud Enhancements Enable PR to Measure True Business Impact Learn More

How Well Did Social Shake-Up 2015 Stir Up Social?

Social Media Today’s Social Shake-Up 2015 Conference took place from June 9-10 in Atlanta, GA. With more than 500 attendees, social discussion peaked on day one, driving higher levels of discussion than the PR Measurement Conference, but not quite as much buzz as Social Media Marketing World.

The conference’s #socialshakeup15 hashtag appeared in 93 percent of conversation surrounding the event, with more than 12,834 tweets during the two-day event timeframe. That’s approximately 25 tweets per attendee!

What other interesting statistics did Cision Senior Insights Analyst Caitlin Jamali  find using our social media monitoring tools? Check out these highlights on the big buzz event to find out!

Which social platform was used most?

Conference-goers love using Twitter to discuss what’s happening in real-time, don’t they?

As expected, Twitter conversations led the online discussion yet again, accounting for 97 percent of social mentions. Video and photo posts accounted for the remaining 3 percent.

Retweets made up less than half of the conversation at 40 percent. The event sponsor’s tweets were the most frequently retweeted by attendees. In total, Social Media Today posted a whopping 886 messages during the event.

Want to make your event a social success? Use social media correspondents. Click here for our free tip sheet that shows you how!

When did discussion peak?

Online discussion began two days before the event’s start date. From June 7-8, word of Social Shake-Up spread slowly but surely before discussion rose dramatically on day one. The second day saw a 15 percent decline before conversation slowed down and fizzled out for good on June 11.

Social Shake-Up Online Discussion

Click to enlarge.

How did it compare to other events?

Social Shake-Up 2015 blew the PR Measurement Conference out of the water with 13,806 total messages surrounding the two-day event.  However, that number looks like a little fish in a big pond compared to SMMW’s grand total of 71,039 messages.

The highest overall net sentiment—+ 16 percent—occurred during the PR Measurement Conference. SMMW comes in second place with a +13.4 percent net sentiment, followed by Social Shake-Up at +11.8 percent.

Who was at the center of discussions?

Social Shake-Up - Speakers

Click to enlarge.

With over 120 speakers presenting their best social media practices and insights, it’s no surprise that their quotes and takeaways made up 80 percent of the conversation surrounding Social Shake-Up 2015.

John Yembrick, social media manager of NASA, had the top share of discussion. Many tweeting from the conference referenced how NASA successfully manages almost 500 social media accounts. Buzz for the keynote speaker accounted for approximately 9 percent of the discussion.

The second most shared and talked about speaker was Dan Gingiss, head of digital customer experience and social care at Discover Financial Services. His examples on consumer expectations, response time and other company social media capabilities drove 7 percent of the total conversation.

Following closely behind Dan was Daina Middleton, Twitter’s head of global business marketing. Discussion surrounding her Marketing in the Participation Age presentation made up another 6 percent of the total buzz.

What were people saying?

With so many speakers providing their insight, there were multitudes of terms and hashtags surrounding the event. While there weren’t any themes in the top terms to note, one prominent term was “space exploration,” which further highlights John Yembrick’s leading share of speaker visibility.

The single most retweeted post from the event came from @KieraStein:

Other top tweets include:

Majority of the online conversations surrounding the event remained neutral, with direct quotes and tips from speakers presenting at Social Shake-Up.

Want employees to be as active on social as these attendees? Check out our latest free tip sheet now!

Tags : social media

About Katie Gaab

Katie Gaab is a content marketing specialist for Cision. Previously the senior editor for Help A Reporter Out (HARO), she enjoys connecting audiences to exciting, new content. She's a dancer, avid concert-goer, foreign language nerd and book worm. Find her on Twitter @kathryngaab.

Recent Posts

Cision Blogs

  • Communications Best Practices

    Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.

  • Cision Product News

    Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.

  • Executive Insights

    Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.

  • Media Blog

    A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.