Why Communication Pros Should Make This Simple Promise
The future of PR is here. The proliferation of data and technology offer new opportunities to work better, faster and smarter.
With access to all of these tools, it’s easy to get sucked in — to become robotic and automated, and to let technology do the work. Best practice? Add a layer of humanity, and use technology to better relate to the people you’re trying to connect with. After all, doesn’t PR stand for “people” and relationships” in the end?
This human connection is the differentiator between PR pros who get things done, and those who drive meaningful, valuable business outcomes. It all boils down to how you approach building relationships with influencers — from bloggers and journalists to social media celebrities.
That’s why we’re asking the industry to take a special promise, with a message that we hope will reach the farthest corners of our industry:
I, ______________________, pledge to:
- Treat influencers as valued partners – not commodities, outlets or channels.
- Respect the inbox of influencers I engage by sending targeted, relevant pitches.
- Use technology to build relationships, not replace them.
- Engage influencers on a regular basis – not just when making an ask.
- Keep pitches short, simple and to the point.
- Personalize pitches so recipients can easily identify why an opportunity is the right fit for their audience.
- Clearly communicate expectations and desired outcomes prior to engaging in a partnership.
- Learn influencers’ contact preferences and abide by them.
- Verify that an influencer’s content, voice and tone aligns with my brand prior to approaching them with a partnership or idea.
- Respond promptly to an influencer’s questions, concerns or requests.
- Honor all agreed upon deadlines, or update influencers in advance if a deadline cannot be met.
- Streamline communications by providing content (images, videos, etc.) and offering additional resources (customers, investors, analysts, etc.) upfront.
- Require influencers with whom you coordinate a paid and/or compensated partnership to fully disclose the relationship when talking about your brand.
I will also refrain from:
- Spamming influencers with irrelevant pitches or impersonal communications.
- Approaching influencers without first researching their content, interests and/or audiences.
- Forcing influencers to chase me for answers and information.
- Failing to communicate expectations and desired outcomes.
- Waiting to engage influencers until I need something from them.
- Misleading influencers to believe that a company or brand I represent is an expert in something they are not.
- Committing to deadlines that I and/or the company I represent cannot meet.
Every PR pro has the responsibility to move the industry forward, and to keep pushing it to be more innovative and accountable, without losing the human touch. Together, we can do it.
Build relationships. Pitch responsibly. Promise to practice smarter influencer relations by signing the #pitchPRomise today.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.