October 27, 2016
/ by Maria Materise
The world of PR is constantly changing. Is your brand prepared to adapt?
Nathan Friedman, general manager of Citizen Relations, says brands need to constantly be on the lookout for new opportunities for innovation.
In this interview, Nathan discusses why brands should always challenge the status quo, how to best connect with consumers and how the PR industry will continue to evolve.
What do you hope to accomplish in your new role as general manager of Citizen Relations?
I hope to drive innovation and growth while keeping true to the strong culture of the agency.
What is the most important lesson you’ve learned throughout your career?
The most important lesson I’ve learned is to always challenge the status quo. When driving innovation, it’s imperative that you stay nimble, curious and actively listen for opportunities to make things better or different.
What do you think are some of the biggest PR challenges facing brands today?
There are several challenges facing brands today – trust, crisis in the digital age and the change in how and what content consumers view, share and consume.
What are some of the key components of a successful communication strategy?
You will never go wrong with data-driven insights and a simple strategy that leads to ownable creative.
It’s no secret digital has changed the way we communicate. What are some of the ways brands need to adapt?
1. Think like a consumer. Develop holistic strategies and craft ideas that naturally engage.
2. Take calculated risks. Don’t fear unknown or unchartered territories and be open to other verticals and audiences.
3. Connect to consumers with authentic content. It’s not a sales pitch or creative that feels like a traditional commercial.
How do you envision the future of PR?
The future of PR will still revolve around media, content and influence. I foresee a larger PR landscape as the marketing world continues to evolve and incorporate much of what we’ve done for years. Crafting content that influences, placing that content in the right hands so it can be shared authentically is a critical element of what we do.
What advice do you have for those looking to begin a career in PR?
Be hungry to learn. Be open to opportunity no matter what it is. Stay curious. Ask questions.
Rapid Fire Round
1. I always thought I’d be…a commercial airline pilot.
2. My hobbies outside of work include…traveling and exploring the world.
3. If I could have lunch with anyone, it would be…my late grandfather and JFK.
4. My favorite social media platform is…Instagram!
5. My biggest pet peeve is…closed-mindedness.
6. One thing most people don’t know about me is…I’ve traveled to more than 30 countries (so far!).
Become a Headline Hero
A winning strategy needs a strong foundation. Download our latest white paper Master the Mix: Amplify Your Campaign Results With Earned Media and get a communications framework that will help you develop and demonstrate your value across earned, paid and owned media channels.
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.
1-312-922-2400from 8 AM - 5 PM CT