NYT Mag & WaPo Welcome New Additions, CNBC Loses Staff Writer, and More Media Updates
Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to email@example.com.
- Samin Nosrat joined The New York Times Magazine as its new Eat columnist. Nosrat is located in Berkeley, California and comes to the Times with nearly two decades of cooking experience. Her latest cookbook Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is a NYT bestseller.
- The Washington Post hired Kyle Swenson as reporter and part of the Morning Mix team. Swenson spent the last year writing a nonfiction book, and prior to that worked as a staff writer for three years at the New Times Broward-Palm Beach. He also had stints writing for the Cleveland Scene and the Nashville City Paper.
- Katie Little left CNBC Digital after six years with the network, first as a news associate and later staff writer. She joined CNBC in 2011 from the Daily Caller, where she was an intern.
- The Verge hired EDM DJ and house music producer Dani Deahl as reporter. She was previously a contributing editor for Nylon. Deahl will continue working as editor at large for DJ Magazine, a position she has held since 2015. She is also a freelancer writer whose work has appeared in Playboy, VICE, Complex, RedBull, TimeOut and more.
- Meredith Newman is The News Journal‘s newest health reporter. She comes from the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Maryland, where she previously worked as general assignment reporter. The News Journal is the main newspaper for Wilmington, Delaware and its surrounding areas.
- Longtime ABC Boston reporter J.C. Monahan joined rival NBC affiliate WBTS-TV as an afternoon and evening anchor. Her first broadcast is set for next week. Monahan spent the last 15 years at WCVB-TV, where she worked as a meteorologist, reporter and later, anchor; she left the station in February.
- Bankrate hired Taylor Tepper as a reporter covering financial planning, taxes, retirement savings, Social Security, health care costs and other tools for people’s financial decision-making. Tepper was previously a reporter for Money magazine. He has also worked for Bloomberg News, NPR Planet Money, The Daily and Tampa bay Times. h/t Talking Biz News.
- Manufacturing Engineering magazine updated the top of its masthead with the promotion of Alan Rooks to editor in chief. He replaces former EIC James Sawyer, who retired from the position last month. Prior to his promotion, Rooks was senior editor for the magazine, a position he has held since he joined the staff in 2016. He previously spent a decade at Cutting Tool Engineering as editorial director.
- Atlanta’s CBS affiliate WGCL-TV lost news director Frank Volpicella, who departed the station after less than a year in the role. He previously worked at Austin’s KVUE-TV as executive news director, and prior to that had stints at WAFF-TV in Huntsville, Alabama and WTVQ-TV in Lexington, Kentucky, among others.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.