CisionScoop at ELLE, Layoffs at LA Weekly, Promotions at NBC and Yahoo Finance, and More Media Moves
Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CisionScoop: After ten years serving as ELLE‘s culture editor, Seth Plattner has departed the magazine in order to pursue freelance opportunities. His writing has covered a wide range of pop culture topics, including music, movies, celebrities, and travel.
- Following the sale of LA Weekly to Semanal Media, the following are no longer with the newspaper:
- Matthew Cooperstein, who has been with LA Weekly since 2006, most recently as its publisher.
- Mara Shalhoup, who has served as editor in chief since February of 2015. She has also previously served as editor for the Chicago Reader and Creative Loafing Atlanta.
- Drew Tewksbury, who has served as managing editor since May of 2016. He has also previously worked with Los Angeles Magazine, Backstage, NPR, and KCET-TV.
- Gwynedd Stuart, former deputy editor of arts and culture, who has been with the newspaper since 2015. She has also written for the Chicago Reader, Creative Loafing Atlanta, and Folio Weekly.
- Andy Hermann, who has served as music editor since 2014. He has also written for The Daily Dot and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Online.
- Katherine Spiers, former food editor since July of last year. She is also the creator and host of the podcast, “Smart Mouth.”
- Dennis Romero, who has served as a staff writer since 2009. He has also previously written for LA CityBeat and the LA Times.
- Jason McGahan, former staff writer. He has also written for the Chicago Reader and Men’s Journal.
- April Wolfe, who has spent the last year as the newspaper’s lead film critic.
- Garry Santos, former multimedia designer. He has also worked with RadarOnline.com and MailOnline.com.
- In order to oversee changes during LA Weekly’s crossover to Semanal Media, Brian Calle has stepped in as operations manager.
- Bruce Evans, who has been with NBC Television Network for over twenty years, has been promoted to executive vice president of current programming.
- Yahoo Finance has promoted Jen Rogers to the role of senior producer. Rogers has been with Yahoo since 2014, and served anchor of its show, The Final Round.
- After seven years of publishing pop culture, fashion, and entertainment content, BULLETT Media has shuttered.
- Tia Mitchell, former bureau chief in Tallahassee for the Florida Times-Union, has left the paper to join AJC.com as a local government reporter covering DeKalb County.
- MarketWatch has named Emily Bary as its new technology reporter. Previously, Barry was a reporter for Barron’s for the past five years.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.