CisionScoops at EQDerivatives, National Law Journal and Texas Lawyer, New Ownership at Essence and Staff Shifts at McClatchy
Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to email@example.com.
CisionScoop: After a year at EQDerivatives, Patrick Fay has been named as head of research and consulting. For the past year, he has served as a research advisor and consultant, and previously was the global head of derivatives at FTSE Russell.
CisionScoop: Experienced law writer Mark Bauer is now the managing editor for both National Law Journal and Texas Lawyer. Bauer previously contributed to Atlanta Daily Report, Miami Daily Business Review, ACTIVE Network, and American Way Magazine.
CBS Television Network‘s London bureau gained a new full-time correspondent in Roxana Saberi. Saberi had been a freelancer for CBS Newspath since 2016 and joined the London team earlier this month. Before her time with CBS, she reported on international events, culture, and social justice from around the globe for Al Jazeera America.
Essence Magazine, as well as its website and events businesses, have officially been sold by Time, Inc., to an investor group headed by Richelieu Dennis, founder of Shea Moisture. Dennis confirmed that Michelle Ebanks will remain president of the magazine, and gain an equity stake in the business. At Time, Inc., Ebanks had served as president of both Essence and People en Español since 2001; however, she has left the latter to focus more on Essence’s new ventures.
McClatchy news syndicate has made several recent staffing announcements in efforts to establish regional editors, overseeing newsroom groups based on location. These changes will go into effect next month:
- Robyn Tomlin, currently managing editor and vice president of the Dallas Morning News, has been picked as the first regional editor for the Carolinas, overseeing the newsrooms at five organizations in the area.
- At The News and Observer, Tomlin will be replacing John Drescher, who has served as executive editor for the past decade. Drescher will step down to serve as opinion and solutions editor, focusing on conversations about important issues in the Triangle.
- In the California area, Joyce Terhaar has announced her resignation from The Sacramento Bee. Terhaar joined the Bee in 1988, and for the past seven years, she has served exceptionally as executive editor and senior vice president.
- With Terhaar’s departure, Fort Worth Star-Telegram executive editor Lauren Gustus will be moving to Sacramento to serve as the area’s regional editor, responsible for McClatchy’s five California newsrooms including the Bee, as well as The Idaho Statesman in Boise.
- While Gustus will serve as the regional editor, the top local editor at the Bee will be Scott Lebar, who has served as managing editor since 2013.
- Taking over for Gustus at The Fort Worth Star-Telegram is Tom Johanningmeier, who will serve as interim executive editor. Johanningmeier, who has been with the Star-Telegram for 18 years, currently serves as the managing editor for sports and special projects.
WILX-TV signed on a new creative services director. Jim Showers joined the NBC affiliate in Lansing, Michigan last week, after serving in the same role for Tennessee CBS-affiliate WJHL for the past three years.
Erica Janik, executive producer for Wisconsin Life on Wisconsin Public Radio, has retired from the station. She was one of the co-founders of the show, and served as its executive producer for six years.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.