CisionScoop at Kiplinger's Personal Finance, Mass Layoffs at NY Daily News
Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/Media_Moves
CisionScoop: Miriam Cross has been promoted to associate editor at Kiplinger's Personal Finance. She was most recently a staff writer for the outlet, and covered travel, consumer credit and personal finance, all topics she will continue to focus on in her new role. Cross joined Kiplinger's as a researcher/reporter in 2012, and was named staff writer in 2015.
In an attempt to fundamentally reorganize its newsroom and focus on breaking news, Tronc and the New York Daily News have let go half of the paper's staff. Mass layoffs affected the Metro, Sports, Social Media, Photography, and Culture desks, leaving roughly 40 journalists at the paper. The following editorial staff is no longer with the outlet:
- Editor in chief Jim Rich, a Pulitzer Prize winning editor who has been at the helm of the paper since 2015.
- Managing editor Kristen Lee, who was named at the post in March 2018. Prior to that, she served as director of digital editorial operations for three years.
- Deputy managing editor for production Jon Blackwell, who had been in this position since 2012.
- Theater critic Joe Dziemianowicz, who has been with the paper since 2000 and has since covered Broadway and off-Broadway shows as well as opera, cabaret and local performing arts events.
- Politics editor Dareh Gregorian, who has been with the paper since 2013.
- Head of content and breaking news editor Zach Haberman, who has been with the paper since 2012.
- Reporters Glenn Blain, Ariel Scotti, Victoria Bekiempis, Andrew Keshner, Andy Mai, Adam Shrier, Nicole Hensley, Terrence Cullen, and Nicki Gostin.
- Metro reporters Erin M. Durkin, Christina Carrega, Chelsia Rose Marcius, and Edgar J. Sandoval.
- Sports reporters, both in print and online: John Harper, Frank Isola, Justin Tasch, Peter Botte, Christian Red, Mike Mazzeo, Daniel Poppers, Kevin Armstrong, John Healy, Nicholas Parco, Julian Garcia, Mark Fischer, Zachary Ripple, and Ari Gilberg.
Men's Health has added two new top staffers: Marty Munson is the magazine's new health director, effective July 30. She was previously a deputy editor for Dr. Oz The Good Life, and the digital content director for Shape magazine. Ross McCammon has joined Men's Health as special projects editor, effective July 30. McCammon comes from GQ , where he served as articles editor for two years. Before that, he spent almost a decade at Esquire in a variety of positions.
Vox Media has announced that it will fold its fashion-focused web site Racked. The company plans to re-brand the site and launch it as The Goods this fall. The new venture will live within the main Vox web site as a vertical. Racked covers shopping and retail on a national level.
Chicago Public Media news/talk radio station WBEZ-FM has named Alden Loury senior editor of the station’s new Race, Class and Communities desk. Loury comes to WBEZ from the Metropolitan Planning Council, where he has served as director of research and evaluation since 2016.
Travel experts and sisters Colleen Kelly and Catie Keogh have launched The Trip Sisters, a weekly radio show and podcast airing on WLS-AM in Chicago. The show airs from 2 to 3 p.m. Saturdays and covers food, culture and adventure. Both Kelly and Keogh are also contributors to the Travel Channel and FamilyFun Magazine.
After more than a decade away,Thomas Roberts has joined WGCL-TV, the CBS affiliate in Atlanta, as evening anchor. Roberts will work alongside Sharon Reed. He spent the last ten years at MSNBC in New York, and prior to that worked for CNN Headline News in a Atlanta for several years.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.