Media Moves at Poynter & TV Guide, Several New Metro Staff Join LA Times
The Poynter Institute has named Tom Jones its new senior media writer; he starts on Jan. 2. Jones is an award-winning sports columnist, and spent three decades writing for the Tampa Bay Times, the Tampa Tribune and the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Most recently, he wrote the "Shooting from the Lip" column at the Tampa Bay Times, and hosted The Sports Page on WDAE-AM radio in St. Petersburg, Florida.
Christopher Rosen has joined TVGuide.com as editor in chief. He was most recently the editorial director of Radio.com, and before that spent three years as the executive editor of Entertainment Weekly. Rosen has also served as an entertainment editor for HuffPost, and senior editor for Movieline before that.
The Los Angeles Times has announced a number of additions to its Metro desk, as well as a new hire at its Sacramento, California, bureau:
- Gustavo Arellano has joined the paper as a features writer, and will focus on culture and diversity of the region. His work will appear in the California section as well as Page 1 and Column One. Arellano will also contribute to the food section and calendar. He was most recently a contributing columnist on the LA Times' Op/Ed page. Prior to that, he spent a decade as editor and publisher of the OC Weekly.
- Maria LaGanga has rejoined the paper as metro general assignment reporter. She is based in the El Segundo, California office. LaGanga used to serve as the LA Times' longtime San Francisco bureau chief and later as a national correspondent. Most recently she reported for the Guardian U.S. and the Idaho Statesman-Review.
- Erika D. Smith will join The Los Angeles Times as assistant metro editor. She has spent the last three years at the Sacramento Bee as associate editorial page editor. Before that, she reported on the Metro desk of the Indianapolis Star for five years, and covered the tech and business beat for the paper before that.
- Reed Johnson has rejoined the paper as an assistant metro editor. He comes from Zocalo Public Square, where he served as managing editor. Before that, he was a Brazil correspondent for The Wall Street Journal and a Mexico-based reporter for the LA Times. Johnson also spent a handful of years as an arts and features writer in the Calendar section.
- Laura Newberry is the newest breaking news and general assignment reporter on the Metro desk. She has previously worked for the Tampa Bay Times, Reading Eagle and MassLive.com.
- The Sacramento bureau of the paper has hired Melody Gutierrez as a reporter covering the California statehouse. She comes from the San Francisco Chronicle, where she worked as a politics reporter for five years. Before that, she served as a writer for The Sacramento Bee.
Ben Frumin has been named editor in chief of Wirecutter, succeeding Jacqui Cheng who stepped down in September. He begins his new role on Jan.7, and will oversee all Wirecutter coverage and day-to-day editorial operations of the site. Frumin comes from TheWeek.com, where he was editor in chief since 2012. He joined TheWeek.com in 2011 as deputy editor, and before that spent two years at Talking Points Memo as a senior editor.
Yong Lim has been promoted to desk editor, municipals at Debtwire. He has been with the outlet since November 2017, when he joined the staff as content editor. Before that he worked for the Bond Buyer as special projects editor. Debtwire provides actionable intelligence and research on high yield and distressed credits.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.