April 15, 2019
/ by Anna Marevska
TIME magazine has announced several editorial promotions and new hires:
· Sam Jacobs has been promoted to deputy editor and will oversee content across all platforms and manage the newsroom. He most recently served as the digital director and executive editor and joined the staff in 2013 as a senior editor for Time.com. Before that he spent two years as a correspondent for Reuters.
· Kelly Conniff has been promoted to executive editor. She previously served as editor of Time.com and a chief of cultural coverage and will continue to oversee culture coverage and remain a leader of digital operations. Conniff joined the staff in 2012 as social media editor from the National Geographic Society.
· Ben Goldberger has been promoted to execute editor and will oversee outside contributors and helm the Person of the Year franchise. He was most recently an assistant managing editor and has been with TIME since 2012.
· Dan Macsai has been promoted to executive editor and will manage the growth and impact of franchise project as well as the TIME 100 expansion. He was previously the editorial director for special projects and joined the magazine in 2012 from Fast Company.
· Haley Sweetland Edwards has been promoted to senior editor and will leady policy coverage. She has been with the magazine since 2014, when she joined as a corresponded and most recently served as the nation editor.
· Sean Gregory has been promoted to senior editor. Since joining the magazine in 2002, he has served as TIME’s lead writer covering sports and has profiled superstars like Serena Williams and Stephen Curry. He is also an adjunct professor at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Journalism.
· Lori Fradkin has joined TIME as senior editor and will editor features and work with the Ideas team. She comes from Cosmopolitan.com where she served as executive editor. Prior to that, she worked as a senior lifestyle editor at HuffPost and senior editor at AOL.
· Tina Susman has joined TIME as senior editor. She was most recently the national editor at BuzzFeed and has also worked at the Associated Press and Newsday, where she oversaw coverage from Africa. She has also worked for the Los Angeles Times as Baghdad bureau chef.
· Vera Bergengruen has joined TIME as a correspondent out of Washington, D.C. She comes from BuzzFeed where she spent the last two years as a national security correspondent. Before that, she worked for McClatchy as a correspondent.
· Alana Semuels will join TIME as a senior economics correspondent based in San Francisco effective April 29. She is currently wrapping up her duties as a staff writer for The Atlantic, apposition she has held since 2014. Before that, she spent almost a decade at the Los Angeles Times.
New York magazine’s new editor, David Haskell, has already made two promotions in his first days in the role: Noreen Malone is now editorial director, upped from features editor, a position she has held for the last five years. Genevieve Smith has been promoted to features director after spending more than five years as a senior editor.
Julia Carpenter has joined The Wall Street Journal as a reporter covering persona finance. She was previously a reporter for CNNMoney, and before that spent two years at the Washington Post as embedded social media editor. Carpenter has also interned at CNN, Elle, and Esquire.
Fox News has tapped former Democratic National Committee chair Donna Brazile as a contributor. She was previously a contributor for CNN but was let go after it was leaked that she helped Democratic candidates prepare for debates by giving them the questions beforehand.
Michelle Cheng is the newest reporter for Quartz's Work section. She comes from Inc. magazine, where she spent the last two years as an editorial assistant and reporter and wrote stories on business and tech with a focus on retail and labor.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.
1-312-922-2400from 8 AM - 5 PM CT