Media Moves at The New York Times & Barron’s, Graydon Carter Staffs Air Mail with Former Colleagues
Maya Salam, current gender reporter at The New York Times, will transition to the culture desk in mid-August as a senior staff editor. Salam has been with The Times since 2015 and has since covered gender, feminism, and LGBTQ issues. Prior to that, she was the editor of the front page team at Yahoo! and worked for the site for four years.
Former Vanity Fair top editor Graydon Carter continues to staff his Air Mail venture, mostly with former colleagues:
· Michael Hainey has joined the team as deputy editor. He was previously the executive director of editorial at Esquire for three years, and before that worked for Town and Country and GQ. Hainey worked for Carter early in his career at Spy magazine.
· Jim Kelly is the newsletter’s new book editor. He worked under Carter at Vanity Fair for almost a decade as a contributing editor, and was previously a longtime editor at Time Inc.
· Bridget Arsenault has joined Air Mail as the London editor. She is also a former Vanity Fair contributor, and most recently wrote for Forbes.com’s lifestyle platform covering culture, travel, society, and the intersection of all three.
· Bob Mankoff is the new cartoon editor. He was most recently the cartoon and humor editor at Esquire, and before that spent 20 years at The New Yorker and left in 2017.
· Laura Jacobs is the new arts intel editor. She is another former Vanity Fair contributor and has worked with Carter since 1995. Before that, she served as the editor in chief of Stagebill for eight years.
· Julia Vitale has joined Air Mail as senior editor. She was most recently an assistant editor at Vanity Fair and had been with magazine since 2015 when she joined as editorial assistant. Before that, Vitale spent four years at The Walk Magazine, the University of Pennsylvania’s fashion magazine.
· Ashley Baker is the new style editor. She comes from Daily Front Row Miami where she was the executive editor since 2014. Prior to that she was the executive editor for Nylon and The Daily Front Row in New York.
Brian Hershberg has been named managing editor for enterprise at Barron’s and oversees personal finance and retirement coverage. He previously spent almost two decades at The Wall Street Journal, most recently as the wealth editor covering brokerages, financial advisories, financial regulation, personal finance and retirement. He has also served as The Journal's U.S. news editor, economics, real-time deputy editor, money and investing, and copy editor. Before that, he was a copy editor and business reporter at the Courier-Post.
Nationally syndicated entertainment show “Extra” has hired Jennifer Lahmers as a correspondent. She starts in mid-August. Lahmers is currently the morning anchor at Fox’s WNYW-TV in New York. Lahmers will move to Los Angeles to report for the show, which will be retitled “Extra, Extra” and will be hosted by Billy Bush.
Rick Hall has been named manager of digital radio for Moody Radio in Chicago. He oversees the daily operation, scheduling, growth and outreach of Moody’s online stations, including Praise and Worship, Urban Praise, Radio Moody, Proclaim and Majesty. Hall most recently was program director and morning host at WAWZ in New York.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.