You can uncover opportunities to promote your organization and get your brand in front of a new audience of potential customers by discovering newsworthy reasons to send a press release.
In this series, we have outlined press releases related to company news, employee news, product and service offerings, events, financial disclosures, recognition, ESG and more.
For our final entry in the series, we are highlighting philanthropy-related press releases.
Philanthropic efforts generate meaningful change and strengthen communities. For non-profit organizations, receiving money for your cause is a consequential event. When for-profit companies announce support for a charitable organization's mission, it can generate a snowball effect by drawing more attention to the cause. A side benefit of sharing news of your contribution to important causes can also produce feel-good stories for your brand.
3 Occasions to Send a Philanthropy-Focused Press Release
If your brand participates in any of the following activities, sharing your participation and support can amplify that message, driving awareness and further support for a cause that has meaning for your brand.
Supporting a non-profit or cause. Stakeholders are increasingly insisting that companies operate with purpose and take a stand on important issues. By declaring monetary and philosophical support for a cause, your organization can prove its commitment to remain a good corporate citizen.
- More Than Just A Cup: Keurig and McCafé At Home Take Ronald McDonald House Charities Partnership To New Heights
- Sapphire Gas Solutions Donates Fire Suppression Trailer to Conroe Fire Department
- Sabre launches partnership with Girls Who Code
Employee volunteering: If your employees have given their time to help an important cause, sharing this news can serve as an opportunity to thank them for their generosity and draw attention to the mission they worked to progress.
- Republic Services Hosts Multi-City Day of Service and Charitable Campaign in Honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Insmed Holds Inaugural Global Day of Good - A Company-Wide Day of Service
- Blue Cross Volunteers Support 90 Service Projects Across Massachusetts on 12th Annual Service Day
Receiving a donation. Charitable contributions are the lifeblood of non-profits, so it is a newsworthy event when a company or individual steps up to provide financial support for an organization. A press release can serve as both a thank-you to your benefactors and a way to spotlight your cause.
- Student Leadership Network Receives Momentous $7 Million Gift from MacKenzie Scott
- News Literacy Project receives largest single donation from CA philanthropists Melanie and Richard Lundquist
- The Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation commits $5.5 million to Children's Minnesota's neurosciences program
3 Tips for Creating a Strong Philanthropy-Related Release
- Make the connection between your brand and the cause you're supporting. Audiences who demand authenticity from brands will be curious to know the “why” behind the philanthropic efforts. Explain to your stakeholders why you chose to support this particular endeavor. When you can put meaning behind your efforts, it humanizes your brand for audiences, and it tells stakeholders there’s genuine intent to make a difference (thus dispelling any preconceived notions that this is simply a play to drum up goodwill for your brand). .
- Use quotes or testimonials to show how the contribution enables the mission. Again, authenticity is key when it comes to philanthropy messaging. Whether it’s a quote from the charity’s leader or someone who is directly affected from the service your organization is providing, sharing their perspective can help convey that element of authenticity. Giving others a voice to describe – in their own words – how the work your organization is doing helps to humanize the message for audiences.
- Include a clear call to action. Maximize the power of your press release’s message – and the impact on the cause you’re supporting – by encouraging and empowering audiences to support the cause as well. Make it easy for audiences to learn more about volunteer or donation efforts by including clearly laid out and visible links to their website, donation center or other relevant landing pages.
More Reasons to Write a Press Release
Check out the rest of our series on all the newsworthy reasons to write a press release:
- Part 1: Company Growth
- Part 2: Employee News
- Part 3: Product or Service News
- Part 4: Branding and Marketing
- Part 5: Events
- Part 6: Original Content
- Part 7: Recognition
- Part 8: Financials
- Part 9: ESG
Ready to start writing your press release? Check out the Ultimate Toolkit for Getting Your Press Release Noticed.
Ready to send your press release? We've got you covered.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.