Happy (Early) Father’s Day to the Top 50 Daddy Bloggers

In the last 50 years, the shape and dynamic of the “typical” family has shifted dramatically. Long gone are the days of every Dad going to work while Mommy stays home and cares for the children and the demands that go along with it. As represented in shows like “Modern Family” and “Parenthood”, every family is unique and families have been drawing up a blueprint that works best for their circumstances.

No matter who is at home with the kids, it doesn’t leave a lot of time for creativity.

In order to have a lucrative blog, you must constantly come up with new ideas to keep your content fresh and have the discipline to write consistently. It is hard enough to do this without juggling the demands of raising children at the same time, but I’m here to tell you about a few who are able to pull off both successfully.

While Father’s Day is still a month away, we’d like to take the time to honor some of our Top Bloggers who are also Dads. So, we pulled a list of the Top 50 Daddy Bloggers from Cision’s media database and ranked them by Klout Score:

1. Chris Brogan,  Dad-O-Matic
  2. Adam Cohen, DaDa Rocks
  3. C.C. Chapman, Digital Dads
  4. Josh Becker, DadStreet
  5. Bruce Sallan, A Dad’s Point of View
  6. Mr. Dad of Divas, Dad of Divas
  7. Whit Honea, DadCentric
  8. Neal Pollack, Alternadad
  9. Mr. Frederick, Mocha Dad
  10. Dorian Carta, Dad-O-Matic
  11. Jason Avant, DadCentric
  12. Chris Singer, Book Dads
  13. PJ Mullen, Real Men Drive Minivans
  14. Rob Babiak, Look What Mom Found…and Dad too
  15. Mike Henneke, Is This Mike On?
  16. Jim Lin, The Busy Dad Blog
  45. Chag Holland, Cynical Dad
  46. Greg Barbera, DadCentric
  47. Keith Wilcox, Almightydad
  48. Greg Allen, Daddy Types
  49. Keith Morton, African American Dad
  50. Joey Donovan Guido, Daddy Brain

Adam Cohen, C.C. Chapman & Josh Becker were kind enough to sit down with me to answer some Q&A on what makes them successful and why they got started in the first place. The first set of Q&A is from C.C. Chapman. C.C. is a long time blogger, media producer and author of the book “Content Rules”.

Q. When did you start blogging?

A: July 2, 2002 I wrote my first ever true blog post on CC-Chapman.com and I haven’t looked back. I started DigitalDads.com in March of 2009.

Q: What was the reason you started blogging? Are you a stay-at home dad or a working dad?

A: I’ve been someone that always kept a journal and I’ve always loved technology. I had just read an article about this new platform called Blogger and a friend of mine had started blogging so it seemed like a logical thing for me to try. I started writing specifically about being a Dad as well because I felt that the voice of father was being left out of many conversations and I wanted to make sure we were out there. Instead of just focusing on the typical parenting advice angle I wanted to focus on all aspects of being a man and a dad.

Q: In your opinion, how has your space (Dad Blogs) changed since your began?

A: A lot more people have jumped in thinking they were going to magically get fame and fortune without having to work hard at it. Having been in the online space my whole career I watched as this happened and I tried to always tell people it would not work that way.

I think they are now starting to realize that I (and others) was right.

Q: How has your blog evolved since its creation?

A: Digital Dads started out with just me and a couple of other potential writers. Now it is much more formal with an Editor in Chief and a solid stable of writers each writing their own weekly content. We have an editorial calendar and new content every day of the week. It certainly didn’t start out that way.

Q: Any tips for new bloggers trying to get started?

A: Don’t expect to find a pot of gold as soon as you start writing. It takes a long time (or a lot of luck) to build an audience and a community. Keep creating great content and people will find you, but it is going to happen over a long period of time and you have to be dedicated to make it work.

Q: How do you feel about pitches from PR Pros? Do you accept them?

A: Chapman: I ran my own marketing agency and have worked for others so I’ve done plenty of outreach and pitching before so I’m completely open to it. In fact I welcome pitches. I just wish most of them were done better.

Q: What was the best pitch you ever received?

A: The best ones are short and to the point and not full of PR buzzwords. The ones I get from SHIFT and Edelman are consistently done right.

Q: Is there a really bad pitch that stands out?

A: Every day I get horrible pitches. Most of them come in the form of a form letter that was written targeting women writers so those end up in the trash. The most recent two horrible ones ended up on a blog post that you can read at http://www.IamNOTaMom.com

Q: What do you wish every PR Pro knew about your blog?

A: I wish they knew that our tag line is “where a Dad can be a Guy” and we’ve also been called “the man cave of the internet” and yet we never get pitched on anything non-parenting related. We write about style, entertainment, food, sex and any other topics that the typical male reader or viewer would be into.

We have a staff of photographers, videographers and writers that would love to come to your events and cover them either on the site or on Digital Dads TV which is a weekly online show that we are always looking for guests for as well.

Keep an eye out on Cision Blog for Laurie’s follow-up posts with Q&A from Josh Becker and Adam Cohen.

This post is part of the Future of Earned Media series.

0 replies
  1. @BruceSallan says:

I'm honored to be on this list with such great dads, most of whom I'm happy to say I know! I also am proud to announce my 1st book is coming out just in time for Father's Day. It's called, "A Dad's Point-of-View: We ARE Half the Equation." Visit the "Store" at BruceSallan.com if you want to read more about it.

It is the time of the dad (and men) given the bum rap we continue to receive by the MSM and society as a whole. When I was a 24/7 SAHD (my boy's mom had abandoned them), I still painfully remember the two questions most asked of me. By the moms, "What do you do all day?" as if they'd EVER ask another mom that question! By the dads, "When are you going back to work?"

• Laurie Mahoney
      ChannerMahoney says:

Vincent,

Thanks for your comment! As far as how we pulled the list, we just searched for bloggers who covered the topic “fatherhood” in our media database and looked up the Klout scores for the twitter handles of the bloggers. Hope this helps.

• @jspepper says:

I recommend using Traackr to get a much better view on influence. Klout measures nothing but how prolific you are at Twitter and Retweets, it seems like.

But do know a lot of the guys on the list, and kudos to them all bc they rock. :)

• @TurboDad says:

We have to have the topic "fatherhood" to count as a daddy blogger? Curious. I didn't know that rule. I've been a daddy blogger for the last two years, and don't think I've once said or tagged the term "fatherhood".

2. TheJackB says:

I recognize that these lists are rarely as complete as we might like them to be, but I would be remiss if I didn't take issue with your claim that this list is of the Top 50 dad bloggers.

One could suggest that I am bitter because I wasn’t included on this list and perhaps that is true. I am one of the veterans. I have been a dad blogger since 2004 and a father who kept a journal since 2000.

But it is reasonable to question a list that includes blogs that are virtually abandoned or rarely updated. And while I am a supporter of the group blogs that you listed here it is hard not to notice that several have multiple listings because you included many if not all of the writers for those blogs.

It is all a long winded way of saying that I think you fell short here.

• @BruceSallan says:

I can vouch for @TheJackB and @CuteMonsterDad being significant Dad Bloggers. Like 'em both and, btw, I think most of us "Dad Bloggers" would prefer to be called "Dad Bloggers" rather than "Daddy Bloggers." Though, I irony is that I sure loved when my boys called me "Daddy" and it feels strange that they now call me "Dad" or "Dude." Again, I'm proud to be here, but acknowledge that every list has its arbitraryness (new word).

• DadStreet says:

I agree Jack. Well said and yes you are an excellent blogger. However, keep in mind what this list is. It's pulled from Klout. It's not a measurement of the content in the blog. It's only based on Klout. Maybe the title should be Top 50 Klout Daddy Bloggers.

Also? I'm proud to be called a "Daddy" Blogger but respect my brothers who don't.

3. @EPayneTheDad says:

Like Bruce, I'm honored as well to be with such a distinguished group. What I think surprised me the most (outside of being named on the list, period) is that over the years I've become fast friends with several of the fathers named here and we were able to successfully bridge the gap between the blogosphere and the real world. Congrats to all!

Also, will there be a badge of some sort that we can place on our site to celebrate or commemorate this honor? (Sorry if I'm being boastful here).

• @BruceSallan says:

I like the badge idea! Lol. I also liked the fact that I knew at least half these guys and went to follow any I didn't already know. I've found every dad writer/blogger I know to be mutually supportive and supportable! I'm about to go on air with my Radio Show and will mention this list "live" in about 35 minutes!

4. @DadCentric says:

It's great to see our site so well-represented, and there are a lot of other excellent writers on this list. At the same time, using someone's Klout score as the sole basis for a "ranking" means that plenty of excellent dadbloggers who don't have a huge Twitter following were left off of this list. The guys from DadWagon, Pierre Kim (MetroDad), Jim Griffioen (Sweet Juniper), Doug French (Laid-Off Dad) are all tremendous writers and influencers, and any serious discussion of dadblogging – and certainly any "Top" or "Best" list – is incomplete without them.

5. Laurie Mahoney
    ChannerMahoney says:

Thank you for all of your comments. I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be ranking the daddy blogger list by other metrics in the two remaining blog posts in this series. As you know, there are many ways to measure influence and we hope to showcase the list objectively.

6. AlwaysHomeandUncool says:

While I appreciate being on a Top 50 Daddy Blogger list (twice, in fact, with my DadCentric crew at #32 and under my apparent new nom de blog "Mr. Kevin" at #33), I don't appreciate all the additional half-assed PR pitches this has generated.

Let it be know that I don't have any greater interest in running random photos of F-list celebs holding your client's water bottle or talking up beer-scented diapers when my kids are now tweens just because you now address me "a top daddy blogger" blah blah blah.

I prefer "Your Imperial Royal Studliness of a Top Daddy Blogger, Sir."

Better yet pony up the Benjamins for an ad. I mean, I can't live off my wife's pity forever.

7. Backpacking Dad says:

Ironically, the one thing you can't tell about a person from their Klout score is how good/influential/important/popular etc… their BLOG is. You can't tell anything about their blog at all, using that metric. You CAN tell, to some extent, how connected they are on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. And that reveals the real audience for this list (and most other lists like this): Marketers and PR reps who want to reach the most social media savvy personalities.

I applaud you for trying to find a way to rank or include bloggers that isn't just a "get your fans to come vote for you so we can increase our pageviews" scam. Next time find out what the metric really measures before you use it. Or be up front about why the list is being compiled and who it is for.

• @FunkyDung says:

Good point, BD.

Another flow in the list is the selection bias in the original search, Cision's media database. I picked a name near the bottom that I recognized, Buck Daddy, and checked his Klout score to satisfy my curiosity. It's 37. Mine's 51. Now, I am by no means a top dad blogger. I'd have to blog a hell of a lot more often and better than I do to qualify for that. ;) However, knowing that there are dad bloggers on the list with Klout score's lower than that of a nobody like me makes me wonder if the list has much meaning at all.

That said, I plan on using it as a way to check out some dad blog's I've never read, so it has at least that much value. :)

• CK_Lunchbox says:

The fundamental conundrum for marketers and PR firms in their use of social media everywhere.

I think the BSC should come up with an equation for ranking dad bloggers like they do for picking who goes to what bowl game.

8. CK_Lunchbox says:

Thank you for the inclusion amongst so many good guys. Of course it's probably not fair of me to be on it since I had to sleep with several people to be here. (Talk aboutcha measurin' influence. HEY-O!) Besides, it's just a matter of time before some one finds those naked pics of me when I was trying to pay for college and then I'll get disbarred from the dad bloggers fraternity.

9. Orange Jeep Dad says:

I found this article through my blog statistics. Someone found my blog by visiting Google and typing the phrase "dad blogs." Low and behold, I'm #6. A majority of the reason I started blogging was because when I searched for dad blogs late last year, the top four or five blogs Google gave me hadn't been updated in months/years. But what do I know, I'd never even heard of Klout before this blog post.

10. @fitzwillie says:

Congrats to GeekDad's own Andy Robertson at #20, though I'll point out that GeekDad is a community blog with over 20 Core Contributors; not sure if that was taken into the Klout Score methodology. As Editor, I want to see ALL my writers recognized for their great parenting posts!

11. DC Urban Dad says:

A few things:

1) I have those nekkid pics of CK_Lunchbox and am willing to share to the highest bidder.

2) I am with Home and Uncool, my steady stream of crappy PR pitches has definitely increased since this list launched.

3) If I am gonna be on the list get my url correct.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!