Cision is a global communications group of companies that enables its customers to identify and connect with influencers, distribute meaningful public relations, corporate and marketing communications to those influencers and the public, and measure the impact of those communications, as well as monitoring various media for its customers. Our products and services operate under a number of different brands, including Cision, Gorkana, PR Newswire, Hors Antenne, Data Presse, Argus de la Presse, CEDROM, Profnet, HARO, Falcon.io and Prime. In this policy, when we refer to "Cision", “we” and “us,” we mean Cision US Inc. and its affiliates and their divisions, including but not limited to PR Newswire Association LLC, Bulletin Intelligence and MultiVu.
For the purposes of European Data Protection law, Cision is the data controller of the personal data referred to in this policy.
This policy applies to our Services which include (i) all the websites on which it is published (the "Websites") (ii) our mobile apps; (iii) other online products and services provided by us through our Websites or mobile apps; and (iv) databases, distribution services, articles, surveys, newsletters, webinars, media monitoring, and/or analytic reports.
- HOW THIS POLICY WORKS WITH OUR OTHER PRIVACY NOTICES AND POLICIES
- HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION FROM YOU
- HOW YOUR INFORMATION MAY BE USED
- HOW YOUR INFORMATION MAY BE SHARED
- COOKIES & OTHER TRACKING MECHANISMS
- DO NOT TRACK DISCLOSURE
- YOUR CHOICES
- SECURING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- INFORMATION COLLECTION
- TRANSFERS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE THE EEA
- LEGAL BASIS FOR PROCESSING
- YOUR RIGHTS IN THE EU
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA CONSUMERS
This Policy should be read together with our related Privacy Notices, in particular our Customer Privacy Notice, our Data Privacy Notice for Influencers and Other Media Contacts, Falcon.io Listen Platform Privacy Notice, and our Candidate Privacy Notice. Depending on how you interact with us, we will collect and process your personal information as follows:
If you are a customer of any of our services.
We will collect and process your individual contact information and other personal data in accordance with our Customer Privacy Notice and any other agreement that we may have with your business.
If you are an influencer or other media contact in our media database.
We will collect and process your contact information and media profile in accordance with our Data Privacy Notice – Influencers and Other Media Contacts.
If you are an influencer or other media contact or individual active on social media, your data may be being processed by our Falcon 'Listen' service.
We will collect and process your personal data in accordance with our Falcon.io Listen Platform Privacy Notice.
If you are a capital market professional in our Investor Relations Database.
If you visit or register with any of our websites (other than as a Customer or Influencer).
If you are a supplier and you or your company provides us with goods or services.
If you are invited to or attend one or our events
If you apply for a job with us
We will process your personal information in accordance with our Candidate Privacy Notice which will be sent to you when you apply.
If you are employed by us
We will process your personal information in accordance with our Employee Privacy Notice which will be provided to you when you join our staff.
Relevant third-party terms
How We Collect Information from You
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information that you provide directly to us, including when you register for or order a Service; when a company, organization or individual authorizes you to manage its account or use our Services on its behalf; and/or when you subscribe to a newsletter, provide feedback about our Services or contact us with questions or comments about a Service.
Information We Collect Through Your Use of our Services
We collect certain technical information using cookies and other tracking mechanisms to help us operate and provide our Services to you. This information includes, without limitation:
- Information about the systems and device(s) you use to access our Services, including MAC address, IP address, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, device type, and device identifiers;
- Information about your visits to the Websites, including the full URL clickstream to, through and from the Websites (including date and time);
- Information about your use of our mobile apps, including the information you view in our mobile apps and the date and time you view it;
- Information to facilitate your use of our Services (including to provide access to third-party websites and services), such as URL requests, destination IP addresses, or device configuration details; and
- Pages you view or search for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), your engagement with certain variable/dynamic elements of a page and methods used to browse away from the page.
If you decline to have us collect such information (for example, by disabling cookies; see Cookies & Other Tracking Mechanisms below), we may not be able to provide some or all of our Services to you.
Information We Collect about You from Third Parties
Our Services may also, from time to time, contain links to and from social media platforms. You may choose to connect with us through a social media platform and when you do, and to the extent available, we may collect additional information from you, such as your user names, profile picture, contact information, contact list, and the profile pictures of your contacts, through the social media platform. Please be advised that social media platforms may also collect information from you. We do not have control over the collection, use and sharing practices of social media platforms and encourage you to review their usage and disclosure policies and practices, including the data security practices, before using the social media platforms.
We may combine the information we collect about you from the various sources described above.
How Your Information May Be Used
We may use any information we collect, including personal information and technical information, as described to you at the time of collection, for the following purposes:
- Providing, maintaining and improving our Services. Operating and improving our Services (e.g., administration, troubleshooting, managing account access, protecting security); evaluating our Services; developing new features, products, or services; and for other customer service and support purposes.
- Tailoring content. Personalizing the information and content we display to you, including marketing, promotional and sponsored content and advertising within the Services.
- Marketing and communications. Contacting you directly about your use of an account or Service for which you are registered; providing you with information about products or services, from us or third parties that may interest you; serving advertisements to you; and responding to your requests, feedback or questions.
- Research and analytics. Researching and analyzing how you interact with our Services, including to monitor usage and activity trends and for statistical purposes; creating reports for customers that may include both aggregate trends and the organizations that are viewing their releases, or accessing our Services or customer websites or otherwise using our Services; and measuring or understanding the effectiveness of content, communications, Website visits, web traffic, our Services, or advertising we or our customers serve to you and other customers like you, and to deliver relevant advertising to you and other customers like you.
- Legal compliance. Complying with laws, regulations and requests from law enforcement or other governmental entities; carrying out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts; and using as evidence in litigation.
- Protecting rights and interests. Protecting the safety, rights or property of Cision or any third party; investigating, preventing or otherwise addressing activity that Cision, in its sole discretion, may consider to be or pose a risk of being, an illegal, unethical, or legally questionable activity.
We may also create aggregate or anonymous information about your and other users’ use of our Services for purposes similar to those listed above.
How Your Information May Be Shared
We may share any information, including personal information as follows:
- With our subsidiaries and affiliates, including any future subsidiaries or affiliates;
- With our service providers and sub-contractors to the extent reasonably necessary to enable us provide our Services (e.g., we use a third-party platform for e-mail and cannot communicate with you without disclosing your e-mail address to our third-party e-mail provider);
- With a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of any of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, including during planning or negotiations of such sale or transfer;
- With a third party with whom we must legally share information about you;
- With the company or organization you represent upon their request;
- With you or other third parties with your express consent;
- To comply with any court order, valid subpoena, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- To protect our assets or rights, including for billing and collection purposes;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Cision, our customers or others, including exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction; and
- With any other entity disclosed by us when you provide the information.
We may also share aggregate or anonymous data for marketing, advertising, research, compliance, or other purposes.
In the event that we receive a request from a governmental entity to provide it with your personal information, we will take reasonable attempts to notify you of such request, to the extent reasonably possible and legally permissible.
Securing Your Personal Information
The security of your information is important to Cision, and we have implemented administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against theft or misuse. Unfortunately, no system can guarantee complete security of your information. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information from unauthorized third parties, Cision cannot ensure or warrant the security of such information. Thus, your use of the Services and communications with us is at your own risk. You are responsible for protecting your username(s) and password(s) and for the security of information that you transmit to us over the internet.
Our Services are directed to working professionals. Our Services are not intended for children under 16 years of age or the relevant age of majority, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under that age. If you are under 13 years of age or the age of majority, you are not permitted to submit any personal information to us.
Third-Party Information Collection
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites and services, including those of social media platforms, partner networks and advertisers. Please note that these websites and services may have their own privacy policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the policies of any third parties. If you chose to access any websites or services linked from our Services, please check the applicable policies before you use or submit any personal information to such website or service.
Third parties unaffiliated with us may also collect information about you, including tracking your browsing history, when you use our Services. We do not have control over these third-party collection practices and advise you to adjust the settings of your browsers or install plug-ins and add-ins if you wish to minimize these third party collections.
Personal Information Transferred from EEA and/or Switzerland
We may share your personal data with entities within the Cision Group. Given that we are an international organisation with our headquarters in the USA, this may involve transferring your personal data outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). Some of the third parties to whom we transfer your personal data are also based outside of the EEA, so their processing of your personal data will likewise involve a transfer outside the EEA. Where your personal data is transferred outside of the EEA we will ensure that we appropriate mechanisms in place to ensure the protection of your personal information, including the use of specific contracts approved by the European Commission giving your personal data the same protection as it has in Europe.
Such transfers may be made by or to us in our capacity as a data processor or as a data controller:
Processor: Cision is a provider of software, services and tools intended to help customers manage all aspects of their marketing and PR campaigns. Cision does not own or control any of the information it processes on behalf of its customer. All such information is owned and controlled by Cision’s customer. In this capacity, Cision receives information transferred from the EU to the US merely as a processor on behalf of its customer, although such information may not be required by Cision.
Data Controller: Cision also provides information products designed to help customers research and plan their campaigns more effectively. In this function, Cision acts as a data controller of the personal information contained in these products and processes this personal information as a data controller.
Further details of transfers of personal data outside the EEA are provided in our Customer Privacy Notice and our Data Privacy Notice – Influencers and Other Media Contacts.
Legal Basis for Processing
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
Where we need to process your information to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
Where we need to process your information to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Where it is in our legitimate interests to do so. Our legitimate interests include our legitimate commercial interests in operating the Cision Services and providing you with access to our Media Database. We make sure that we consider and balance any potential negative impact on you and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you.
Where we have obtained your consent.
If you reside in the EU, or if your personal information is processed in connection with one of our European businesses, you have certain rights under European data protection laws and in particular the General Data Protection Regulation. These rights include rights of access; the right to rectification; the right to erasure; the right to restrict processing; the right to data portability; and the right to object to processing.
Your rights include the right to:
- Access your personal information (via what is commonly known as a "data subject access request").
- Require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold.
- Require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations by submitting a Data Subject Request.
- Receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations.
- Object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing.
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means (including profiling) which produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affect you.
- Object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information.
- Otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
In some cases these will not apply to you, or to the particular use that we are making of your data, and there are exceptions (for example if we have to process the data to comply with our own legal obligations).
For further information on each of these rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, you should refer to guidance from your local Data Protection Authority: https://ec.europa.eu/justice/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm
You also have the right to make a complaint to your local data protection authority at any time. We hope that we would be able to resolve any concerns that you may have before you approach your data protection authority so please do contact us in the first instance.
How long will we use your personal data?
We will keep your personal data only for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this privacy notice and to fulfil our legal obligations. We will not keep more data than we need.
Additional Information for California Consumers
To listen to the Audio version of this page please download the file.
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), we are required to notify California consumers about our collection, use, and disclosure of their personal information (whether collected through this website or offline). Please see more information about this here.
Cision US, Inc.
Legal Dept. (Privacy)
1785 Greensboro Station, 8thFloor
McLean, VA 22102
5 Churchill Place
London E14 5HU
LAST UPDATED ON SEPTEMBER 13, 2022