The Boston Globe has hired Alexa Gagosz as a breaking news reporter based in the Rhode Island bureau. She comes from the Providence Business News, where she served as enterprise reporter for almost a year. She has also freelanced for the El Mundo Boston, Bay State Banner, the Scope, Storybench, the Chicago Tribune, The Suffolk Journal, and other publications.
Elizabeth Angell has been promoted to editor in chief of Romper, the Bustle Digital Group-owned site dedicated to millennial moms. She joined the outlet in September 2020 as an editorial director and before that spent four years at Hearst working as a digital director for Town & Country and ELLE Decor. Before that, Angell worked at Conde Nast for almost a decade as an editor at Allure.
Adweek has expanded its international team by hiring Stephen Lepitak as U.K. bureau chief. He starts in April and will be based in London. Lepitak is the former executive editor of The Drum, a leading marketing and media industry focused publisher in the U.K.
Forbes has added an assistant editor and a reporter to its roster:
- Maria Abreu has been recruited as an assistant editor on the Money Team. She is recent graduate of New York University and most recently covered justice, business and arts for Bedford + Bowery, NYU's news and culture site covering East Village, LES, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Bushwick.
- Rebecca Szkutak has joined the staff as a reporter covering venture capital. She comes from PEI - Alternative Insight where she worked as a reporter for Venture Capital Journal and Private Debt Investor.
Zeyi Yang is the new tech reporter at Protocol covering China's technology, AI, fin-tech and more. He most recently reported on the COVID-19 pandemic as a freelancer and contributed to the South China Morning Post, the Nikkei Asian Review, the Washington Post, and other publications. Yang has also reported on immigration, technology, LGBTIQ issues, and everything related to China.
The Information has tapped Joshua Sisco as a senior correspondent. He starts February 8 and will cover antitrust regulation and all the other legal issues in the media industry. Sisco was most recently a senior correspondent at MLex Market Insight and covered federal legal and regulatory matters, primarily involving antitrust, along with some intellectual property and privacy and data security matters.
Mary Ann Azevedo has joined TechCrunch as senior reporter. She was most recently the managing editor of FinLedger and a senior reporter of CrunchBase News. Azevedo is also an established freelance writer and cans contributed to Forbes, San Francisco Business Times, Crain's, The Network, Venture Capital Journal, SpareFoot, and other publications.
Business Insider has promoted one and hired two:
- Michael Domanico has been promoted to managing editor of Insider after spending the past year as assistant managing editor. He has been on staff since 2020 and has previously interned at the U.S. Department of Labor and the Office of the New York City Council.
- Allison DeAngelis has joined the staff as a Boston-based senior healthcare reporter covering biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. She comes from the Boston Business Journal where she spent two years as a life sciences reporter.
- Oma Seddiq has been hired fulltime as the new junior politics reporter. She spent the past seven months as a politics fellow and before that worked as a digital producer at POLITICO.
Rebecca Elliott now covers technology and autos for The Wall Street Journal, and specifically focuses on Tesla and car tech. Most recently, she covered energy at The Journal and has been on staff since 2018. Prior to that, Elliott worked at the Houston Chronicle as City Hall reporter.
The New York Times has reassigned reporter Sydney Ember to the economics beat. She spent the past seven years as a politics reporter and most recently covered the 2020 presidential election. She has been on staff since January 2014. Prior to that, Ember was as financial markets advisory analyst for BlackRock.
Maya Goldman has joined Inside Health Policy as a reporter covering Medicaid and Medicare policy. She was previously an education bureau intern at The Wall Street Journal and a contributing writer/editor at the Detroit Jewish News.
CQ Roll Call has hired Suzanne Monyak as an immigration reporter covering litigation and policy with a focus on Congress. She comes from LAw360 where she covered immigration for two years. Before that, Monyak worked for The New Republic as a reporter/researcher.
Ashleigh Banfield has signed on with WGN America to host a weeknight 10 p.m. ET talk show set to debut on March 1. "Banfield' will be an interview-driven show and will focus on newsmakers and issues as well as celebrities and human-interest stories. The arrival of “Banfield” will replace the third hour of WGN America’s three-hour national primetime newscast, “News Nation,” which launched on Sept. 1, 2020. Banfield has had a long career in TV news, working as an anchor and correspondent for CNN, HLN, MSNBC, ABC News, NBC News, TruTV and Court TV among others. She is currently a legal analyst for Court TV and contributor to Investigation Discovery.
The Atlantic has added three senior editors to its staff:
- Daniel Engber has joined the Science desk. He comes from Wired, where he was the Ideas editor. Prior to that, Engber was a senior editor at Slate and a regular contributor to Radiolab, The New York Times Magazine, and Popular Science.
- Chris Ip has joined the Culture section and will focus on the intersection of culture, technology, and human relationships. He most recently edited features at Engadget. Earlier in his career, Ip wrote for the Columbia Journalism Review, worked on a special-projects team at Reuters, and covered news at Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post.
- Honor Jones has joined the staff as senior editor focusing on features. She spent the past 12 years with The New York Times Opinion section. Most recently, she led the section's coronavirus coverage.
Charlotte Owen has been promoted to editor in chief of Bustle. Most recently she served as editorial director of the site and before that worked as executive editor of Bustle U.K. She joined Bustle Digital Group in 2018 after six years at Vanity Fair.
The Los Angeles Times has promoted two on the Op-Ed desk:
- LZ Granderson has moved to Op-Ed as a columnist after spending the last two years as a sports and culture columnist. He moved to the LA Times in January 2019 from ESPN. Granderson is also an ABC News political contributor and co-host of 'Sedano and LZ' on ESPNLA 710. Prior to ABC he was a political contributor and opinion writer for CNN.
- Valerie J. Nelson has been elevated to deputy Op-Ed editor. She was most recently an assistant Op-Ed editor and rejoined the LA Times in April 2019 after four years at the Rand Corp. Before that, she spent more than two decades at the LA Times in a variety of roles.
John Koppisch has joined Discourse, the new online magazine of economics, politics and society published by the Mercatus Center at George Mason University. Previously he was a senior editor at Forbes magazine for 13 years after stints at BusinessWeek magazine, the Asian edition of The Wall Street Journal and the Tampa, Fla., Tribune.
Digiday has brought on Kimeko McCoy as marketing reporter. She comes from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. where she had served as digital marketing specialist since 2019. Before that, McCoy worked as social media editor for Adweek and audience development specialist for Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Jeff Kiernan has joined ABC's WXYZ-TV in Detroit, Michigan, as news director. He was previously a senior director of local content at WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and before that served as VP and news director at WBBM radio in Chicago. Kiernan has also worked as news director at WBZ/WSKB in Boston and WCCO in Minneapolis.
WTVJ-TV, the NBC station in Miami, has hire two new morning anchors: Constance Jones and Kris Anderson will anchor the station’s weekday morning shows from 4:30-7 a.m. Jones comes from WRIC-TV in Richmond, Virginia, where she anchored the 5 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts. Anderson previously spent seven years at WHDH-TV in Boston as a morning anchor.
WPLN-AM (1430) public radio in Nashville, Tennessee, has hired Paige Southwick Pfleger as the station's first arts, culture and music reporter. She comes from Ohio State University news/talk WOSU-FM Columbus (89.7), where she covered criminal justice and the addiction crisis.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.