The Los Angeles Times has hired Laura Wides-Munoz as the deputy editor for the Washington bureau. She starts March 8. Wides-Munoz was most recently the executive editor for news practices at ABC News in Washington, D.C. Prior to that, she was the vice president of special projects and editorial strategy at Fusion Network in Miami, a startup focused on millennials.
After three years on the legislature beat, Politico reporter Eleanor Mueller now covers labor. She has been at Politico since January 2018 when she joined as digital producer and copy editor. Mueller started covering legislature in December 2018. Prior to Politico, she was a digital producer at Sinclair and an intern at CNN.
The New York Times has named Jia Lynn Yang national editor. She has been the deputy national editor since 2017 and before that spent several years at The Washington Post in a variety of positions, including deputy national security editor. Prior to that, Yang was a writer at Fortune.
Owen Thomas has joined Protocol as senior editor covering enterprise and financial technology coverage. He spent the past five years as business editor at the San Francisco Chronicle and ran business and technology coverage at the paper. Prior to that, Thomas served as the editorial director and editor in chief, ReadWrite at Wearable loT World.
Kaiser Health News has tapped Noam N. Levey as Washington, D.C.-based senior correspondent. He comes from the Los Angeles Times where he has worked since 2003, most recently as national healthcare reporter. Prior to joining The LA Times, Levey was a staff writer at the San Jose Mercury News.
Insider has doubled its staff size in Washington, D.C., by hiring five reporters:
- Nicole Gaudiano has joined as a White House correspondent. She comes to Insider from POLITICO, where she’s been a national education reporter on the K-12 policy beat. Previously, Gaudiano worked at USA Today and Gannett.
- Warren Rojas is Insider’s newest politics reporter. He comes from Bloomberg Law where he was a senior reporter for three years. Prior to that, he was briefly the top editor for Eater DC, and before that worked for Roll Call.
- Adam Wren has joined the staff as national politics features reporter, based in Indianapolis. He has previously written for POLITICO Magazine, The Washington Post, The New York Times and Indianapolis Monthly.
- C. Ryan Barber has joined as a reporter covering the Justice Department and courts on the federal law enforcement beat. He spent the past five years covering the same topics for The National Law Journal.
- Camila DeChalus has joined as senior reporter on the federal law enforcement beat with a focus on the Justice Department, federal courts, homeland security, and more. She comes to Insider from CQ Roll Call, where she’s spent the last three years writing about immigration policy.
San Francisco Chronicle energy reporter, J.D. Morris, has added climate change to his roster of beats. Morris now covers energy with a broader focus on policy, green tech, decarbonization and disasters such as fires and earthquakes. He has been on staff at the paper since 2018 and before that covered county government for The Press Democrat.
SpaceNews has welcomed Jason Rainbow as senior staff writer. He anchors satellite telecommunications coverage, while also writing about existing and emerging commercial space markets and businesses. Rainbow is a veteran satellite industry reporter and has spent more than a decade covering the global space industry. Most recently he served as the group editor in chief for Finance Information Group, including its industry publication Connectivity Business.
Quartz has hired three reporters in Taipei, Nairobi, and New York City:
- Leslie Nguyen-Okwu has joined the Asia team as a correspondent based in Taipei. She has been in Taiwan since 2017 and has freelanced for Ozy and other publications. Before moving to Asia, she reported on tech in Silicon Valley.
- Carlos Mureithi has joined Quartz Africa as a reporter based in Nairobi, Kenya. He was most recently online editor at the Daily Nation in Nairobi and has reported on business, human rights, the environment, culture and the arts. His work has also been featured in Quartz, the New York Times, Al Jazeera and Reuters.
- Clarisa Diaz has joined the Things team as a reporter based in New York City. She comes from New York Public Radio where she reported, wrote, designed, and coded for WNYC and Gothamist.
The New York Times has promoted two on its Styles desk:
- Tracy Ma has been promoted to assistant editor. She was most recently a visual editor and joined the staff in 2018. Before that, she spent four years at Bloomberg Business week.
- Sandra E. Garcia has joined the desk as a reporter after several years on the Express desk. She has been at The Times since 2013.
Jenny Deam has joined ProPublica as a reporter covering healthcare. Her first day is March 1. Deam comes from a five-year run at the Houston Chronicle where she covered the business of medicine and healthcare. Prior to that, Deam spent 11 years at the Los Angeles Times. She has also reported for the Denver Post, St. Petersburg Times and Kansas City Star.
Law360 has promoted Elise Hansen to senior reporter covering fintech. She was most recently a reporter on the corporate finance beat and covered M&As, capital markets, technology, and the law. She joined Law360 in 2018 as a news assistant.
Reporter Rachel Louise Ensign now covers wealth for The Wall Street Journal. She was previously reporting on banking and Bank of America in particular. Ensign has been at The Journal since 2011 and has since covered all aspects of the banking industry, including financial regulation and personal finance.
Fortune has named Rachel Schallom digital editor, effective February 19. She has been the outlet's deputy digital editor since 2019. Before that, Schallom was a managing editor at VICE Media and before that worked for The Poynter Institute and The Wall Street Journal.
Cannabis Business Times magazine has hired two editors:
- Anthony Lange has joined the staff as associate editor and will contribute to both digital and print platforms. He spent the past decade as an editor at Chagrin Valley Times, Solon Times and Geauga Times.
- Andriana Ruscitto is the new assistant editor at the outlet and also work for Cannabis Dispensary and Hemp Grower magazines. She was most recently a marketing assistant at Language Plus, Inc.
Cole Johnson has joined WTVF-TV, the NBC affiliate in Nashville, Tennessee, as a multimedia journalist. He comes from TEGNA's KCEN-TV in Waco, Texas, where he reported stories for the 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. newscasts. Before that, Johnson worked for Hearst Television in Iowa.
Raychel Lean is the new Florida bureau chief of Daily Business Review, Law.com's weekly, curated selection of international content from around the globe, She was most recently a litigation reporter at the publication and before that spent three years at AD-VISE (UK) Limited as a content writer.
Kristin Mazur is the new news reporter at WOIO-TV, the CBS affiliate in Cleveland, Ohio. She was most recently a news reporter/anchor at ABC 13 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and before that spent three years at WHP-TV in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Risa Feldman is the new editor in chief of Journey Beyond Aspen. Her promotion comes after Feldman spent the past three years as director of content development, a position she had held since joining the magazine in 2018. Prior to that, she was a luxury travel writer for Aspen Luxury Life Magazine for four years.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.