The press releases that received the most attention in the first half of 2022 – and the lessons they hold for PR teams.
Here at Cision, we’re always urging clients to take a data-driven approach to their PR strategy, and press release creation and distribution is no exception. In looking at some of the press releases that made waves in the first half of 2022, you may notice some common elements that contribute to why, exactly, these releases gained so much traction.
25 of the Highest Performing Press Releases of 2022 on PRNewswire.com
What made the following press releases so attention-worthy? A compelling headline never hurts – particularly when you can name-drop a well-known celebrity, announce a major business acquisition or unveil a true crime mystery.
But as anyone who has ever clicked on a headline knows, it’s also what’s inside that counts – not only in terms of the content that is delivered (and whether it lives up to the promise of its headline), but in how it’s delivered (is the layout easy to read? Are there multimedia elements that capture the eye?).
I invite you to take a look at some of the highest performing press releases from January through June and consider for yourself what sets them apart. I’ve also included some takeaways at the end to help you create your own attention-getting press releases moving forward.
- Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company's Online Pharmacy Launches with Lowest Prices on 100 Lifesaving Prescriptions
- Altos Labs launches with the goal to transform medicine through cellular rejuvenation programming
- Hudsonville Ice Cream Introduces Seven New Little Debbie® Snack Cakes-Inspired Flavors
- Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard to bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone, across every device
- Duncan Hines Partners With Global Superstar Dolly Parton To Bring New Southern-Style Desserts To The Tab
- 1981 Murdered Harris County John & Jane Doe Identified After 40 Years Leads to Discovery Their Baby, Now Age 41, is Missing
- The Polls Are Open - Cadbury Needs YOUR Vote to Determine the Newest Cadbury Bunny
- HGTV DREAM HOME 2022 IN WARREN, VT, SWEEPSTAKES TO CLOSE ON FEBRUARY 17
- Victoria's Secret Launches The Love Cloud Collection, Focusing on A Whole New Level of Comfort
- CASIO EXPANDS EDIFICE COLLECTION WITH NEW TIMEPIECE
- Crocs & Healthcare Apparel Brand FIGS Partner for Third Year of 'Free Pair for Healthcare' Program
- On Wednesday, March 30: Jersey Mike's Donates ALL Sales to the 2022 Special Olympics USA Games
- BNY Mellon Announces Leadership Succession Plan Naming Robin Vince CEO-Elect
- Elon Musk to Acquire Twitter
- Twitter Confirms Receipt of Unsolicited, Non-Binding Proposal from Elon Musk
- Gerber® Announces Search for Next Spokesbaby and Furthers Commitment to Supporting Moms and Babies
- Luggage Company Disrupting Airlines - Saving Travelers From Carry-on Fees
- KELLOGG COMPANY ANNOUNCES SEPARATION OF TWO BUSINESSES AS BOLD NEXT STEPS IN PORTFOLIO TRANSFORMATION
- CBS INVITES AMERICA TO 'COME ON DOWN' - THE ICONIC CBS ORIGINAL GAME SHOW "THE PRICE IS RIGHT" CELEBRATES 50 YEARS OF FUN WITH A 50-STOP NATIONWIDE "COME ON DOWN TO
- Circle Announces a Fully-reserved, Euro-backed Stablecoin, Euro Coin (EUROC)
- eBay Acquires Leading NFT Marketplace, KnownOrigin
- The world's first virtual beer is here, Cheers to Heineken Silver
- FANS CAN ROLL BURRITOS AT CHIPOTLE IN THE METAVERSE TO EARN BURRITOS IN REAL LIFE
- Absolut's Biggest Campaign "The World of Absolut Cocktails. Born to Mix." Demonstrates the Power of Mixing Different People, Perspectives & Cocktails
- Introducing Abound by Marriott Vacations™
3 Common Characteristics of a High Performing Press Release
While no press release is created equal, there are some common characteristics that the most engaging press releases share. Here are three that we see over and over again:
1. A Compelling Headline: Writing a compelling headline is easier said than done, but the experts at Cision PR Newswire have some tips to create headlines that grab attention. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Write your headline as if it were a front-page article – after all, isn’t that ultimately where you want it to end up?
- Include data or research findings – Give the audience a new piece of information they’ll want to learn more about.
- Use active voice and action words – Take a cue from the examples above: “eBay acquires..." “Circle announces.." "CBS invites...", etc.
2. Eye-Catching Visuals: It’s no coincidence that the highest performing press releases are often ones that contain multimedia elements like photos, videos or infographics. Adding visual elements to your press release not only make it more fun to look at, but it helps your audience process and remember your content. Of course, you want to make sure the multimedia you use adds to the story and is relevant, so we encourage you to check out our e-book, The Best Multimedia Content Guide for PR Success.
3. Strategic Formatting: In a world of non-stop news and limitless content to consume, people tend to scan content more than they actually read it. If your press release is nothing but blocks of text, it’s unlikely your audience is going to read every word. Keeping in mind that readers tend to scan online content in an F-shaped pattern – reading across the top (title/headline) and then scanning down the left side of the page. You can increase the chances of keeping your audience’s attention – and getting your message across – by breaking up the content of your press release with more bite-sized, consumable format. If you want to make your press release more visually engaging, consider the following techniques:
- Bolded headlines and subheads
- Bulleted lists of key data points or takeaways
- Short, two- to three-sentence paragraphs
- Block quotes to call out expert opinions or commentary
- Last but not least (as noted above): eye-catching visuals
For more best practices and research-backed guidelines for creating high performing press releases, check out The Ultimate Toolkit for Getting Your Press Release Noticed
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.