The Atlantic has added two staff writers:
- Tim Alberta has joined the team and will focus on features and profiles on a range of subjects. He comes from Politico where he served as the chief political correspondent and covered Donald Trump, Capitol Hill, the Republican Party, and demographic change in America. He has also reported for The Wall Street Journal and National Review.
- Jennifer Senior has joined the staff as a staff writer and will report long-form features across a wide array of topics; she will also write about books. Senior joins The Atlantic from The New York Times where most recently she was a columnist for the op-ed page.
Rebecca Blumenstein has taken on a new role at The New York Times: deputy editor, Publisher’s Office. This is not a newsroom role and she will work with leaders across the Newsroom, Opinion and throughout the company to ensure support of journalism operations. Blumenstein has been at The Times since 2017 and most recently oversaw the expansion of Live coverage as deputy managing editor.
Track the Vax is a new weekly podcast in collaboration with MedPage Today and Everyday Health, which explores the science and state of the COVID-19 vaccines. Host Serena Marshall speaks with leading experts, pharmaceutical companies, and other physicians and patients on the latest news and science behind the race for a COVID-19 vaccine. Lara Salahi is the executive producer.
The New York Times has announced four promotions on the National Desk:
- Monica Davey has taken on a new role on National as a deputy editor. She will continue to be based in Chicago. Davey has been an editor-reporter since 2017 and has previously worked for the Chicago Tribune.
- Julie Bloom has been promoted to director of news. She is going to lead the evolution of National’s coverage of breaking news stories, profiles, and investigative pieces. Bloom spent the past four years as deputy national editor and has been at The Times since 2007.
- Kim Murphy is now the deputy editor for investigations. She joined The Times three years ago from The Los Angeles Times and most recently served as deputy national editor.
- Jamie Stockwell has been promoted to deputy editor of Race/ Related, the cross-desk initiative aimed at expanding coverage of race and attracting a more diverse readership. She joined The Times three years ago from The San Antonio Express-News.
Hemal Jhaveri has been named race and inclusion editor for USA Today Sports Media Group. She will continue as editor at large at For the Win, USA Today's fan-focused site. Jhaveri has been with Gannett since 2013 and before that worked for Politico and AOL
Anissa Gardizy has been promoted to digital producer for The Boston Globe business section. She oversees the online business page and the section's digital strategy. Gardizy also reports for the business team with a specific interest in breaking news, the biotech industry, last-mile delivery, and the intersection between technology and cities. Gardizy joined The Globe in 2020 as the business co-op.
Morning Brew has tapped Andrew Nusca as executive editor. He will remain based in Los Angeles. He was most recently the digital editor at Fortune, a position he has held since 2016. He joined the magazine in 2013 as senior editor, and before that spent three years at CBS Interactive as an associate editor and editor.
Greg Weaver has joined the Indianapolis Business Journal as managing editor. He will coordinate the daily news coverage and e-newsletters, social media accounts and stories for the weekly print edition. Weaver succeeds Lesley Weidenbener, who was promoted to IBJ’s top editor in January. Weaver has previously worked for The Indianapolis Star for almost three decades.
Silicon Valley Business Journal has promoted Ryan Fernandez to assistant managing editor. He is responsible for managing the production of the weekly print edition as well as SVBJ special sections. Fernandez has worked for the SVBJ as an associate editor since 2013, tackling various writing and editing assignments for both print and online.
Reporter Lucas Aulbach now covers new businesses, neighborhoods, transportation and other development topics for the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky. He was most recently a general assignment reporter and a sports reporter, covering University of Louisville basketball.
Variety has announced the promotion of three writers:
- Matt Donnelly has been promoted to senior entertainment and media writer and focuses on news and analysis about the film and TV industries, particularly the inner workings of the Hollywood creative community. He was most recently a senior film writer and has been with Variety since 2018.
- Elaine Low has taken on a senior TV business writer position. She covers the business of television, with a focus on media strategy, executive leadership, and evolving platforms and business models. She joined Variety in 2019 as a senior TV writer.
- Jazz Tangcay has been promoted to senior artisans editor. She is also part of Variety’s Awards Circuit team devoted to covering awards season, and co-hosts the weekly “Awards Circuit” podcast. Tangcay joined Variety in 2019.
Marissa Evans will join the Los Angeles Times in March as a health reporter focusing on Southern California's communities of color. She was most recently a reporter for the Star Tribune in Minneapolis covering social issues. Before that Evans reported for the Texas Tribune, CQ Roll Call, and Keiser Health News.
Business Insider has welcomed Emma Cosgrove as senior reporter and covers logistics with a focus on e-commerce. She comes from Industry Dive, where she covered supply chain. Before that, Cosgrove reported for The New Food Economy and AgFunder. She is also the co-founder of Well-Fed a destination empowering youth-serving organizations to serve their students healthier food.
AdAge has promoted three staff members to management and reporting positions:
- E.J. Schultz is now news editor. He spent more than two years as the publication’s assistant managing editor. Schultz will continue being based in Chicago. He joined AdAge as a staff writer in 2010.
- Jeanine Poggi has been promoted to assistant managing editor. She was most recently a senior editor and has worked for AdAge since 2012.
- Ilyse Liffreing has been promoted to staff writer. She has been on staff since 2019 and has since managed the social media presence of AdAge as social media editor.
NBC News has promoted Liz Johnstone to senior digital politics editor. She now oversees the network’s entire digital politics team. Johnstone succeeds Gregg Birnbaum who is leaving the network. Johnstone has been the politics editor at NBC News digital since she joined the team in 2016. Before that, she spent five years at D Magazine, most recently as managing editor.
FOX News Digital has announced a new hire and two promotions:
- David Trulio has joined the staff as managing editor and head of strategy. after having been Counselor to the Chairman for the Program on China & Transformational Exports. He also worked in the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
- Michael Arroyo has been promoted to deputy managing editor. He oversees daytime news operations, coordinating long-term and breaking assignments, editing and distribution via alerts, social media and the Fox News and Fox Business homepages. Arroyo joined FOX News in 2008 as production assistant, and most recently served as Foxnews.com's senior editor.
- Kelley Kramer has also been promoted to deputy managing editor. She spent the past year as a senior homepage editor and before that served as a producer on "Fox and Friends." She joined FOX News in 2011 from WTXF-TV affiliate in Philadelphia.
Iris Rodriguez is the new news director for KTLM-TV, Telemundo's station in Rio Grande, Texas. She has been the executive producer for station since 2015. Before that, she worked at Telemundo 39 (KXTX) in Dallas and Entravision Communications in McAllen, Texas.
WLOS-TV, the ABC station in Asheville, North Carolina, has welcomed Ty Russell as evening news anchor. He co-anchors the 6:30, 10:00 and 11:00 p.m. newscasts and also works on News 13 Investigates. Russell was most recently a reporter and anchor at WFOR-TV in Miami.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.