Vox has hired Brian A. Anderson as biodiversity editor covering nature and wildlife, biology, ecology, and zoology as they relate to biodiversity and ecosystems. He is based in Chicago and will be a part of the new Vox biodiversity initiative Down to Earth. Anderson has previously reported for The Atlantic and Vice.
Danielle Kwateng has been named executive editor of TeenVOGUE. The promotion comes after several turbulent weeks at the outlet. Kwateng has been at TeenVOGUE for two years as the entertainment and culture director, and before that spent a year at VICE Media as senior editor and at Essence Magazine as content producer.
VentureBeat has welcomed Fahmida Y. Rashid as executive editor. She comes from Decipher, where she served as the senior managing editor. Before that, Rashid has reported for International Data Group, InfoWorld, and CSO Online, and has also served as an analyst at PCMag, senior writer at eWeek, and a product manager at The Knot.
Blakeney Schick has joined The New York Times's Opinion Audio as a senior producer for “Sway.” She most recently produced “All Of It,” a live daily talk show on WNYC. Before that, Schick produced the comedy podcast “Adulting” at WNYC Studios, and worked on live events for the Greene Space and “Werk It,” an annual festival for women in podcasting.
The Washington Post has announced two staff changes at its Paris and London bureaus:
- Rick Noack has began a two-year assignment as a Paris-based correspondent. He has relocated from Germany to France and has become the primary reporter focused on France as it emerges from the pandemic. Noack has been at The Post since 2014.
- Sara Sorcher has become London hub editor. She was most recently the deputy editor of PowerPost and has been on staff since 2018. The London hub includes breaking-news reporters, editors and other journalists, and it operates seven days a week during what is overnight and the morning in the U.S.
Lauren Hepler will join the San Francisco Chronicle April 19 as a reporter covering housing and inequality. She comes from CALMatters where she covered unemployment, the COVID-19 economy and California migration since June 2020. Before that, Hepler reported for Protocol and covered housing, jobs and the environment as a freelancer for the New York Times, the Guardian, the LA Times and others.
The Houston Chronicle has named Shelby Webb renewable energy reporter on the Business Desk. She start her new beat on May 3 and until then will continue to cover suburban education for the paper. Webb joined the Chronicle in 2016 and before that spent three years at the Sarasota Herald-Tribune covering education.
Sara Schonhardt is the new international climate reporter for E&E News. She was most recently the managing editor of Earth Journalism Network, where she worked with journalists around the world to develop and produce stories that look at the human impacts of climate and environmental change. She has also worked for The Wall Street Journal and the Christian Science Monitor.
Politico has announced multiple staff additions and promotions on its Economy & Business team:
- Emily Birnbaum has joined as a reporter covering tech lobbying. She comes from Protocol where she was a technology policy reporter and before that worked for The Hill in the same capacity.
- Greg Mott has joined as news editor for business and economics. He was most recently a financial regulations editor at Bloomberg New and before that spent 16 years at The Washington Post.
- Pradnya Joshi is now the international economy editor, upped from trade and agriculture editor. She has been at Politico since 2017 and before that spent a decade at The New York Times as assistant business editor.
- Toby Eckert has taken on the role of tax and labor editor, adding the Labor Department, unions and other worker issues to his coverage. He has been at Politico since 2015 and has since led the tax team.
- Mark McQuillan, the current business and economy editor, will oversee reporters handling economic policy and monetary policy. This includes the Federal Reserve, Treasury Department, White House National Economic Council and Council of Economic Advisers. He’ll also take charge of the Morning Money franchise and help expand the Long Game franchise into broader business issues. He has been at Politico since 2016.
- Sustainability editor, Lorraine Woellert, will work within the Economy and Business team as well as the Energy team. She took on the Sustainability portfolio and Long Game newsletter a few months ago, and has been on staff since 2016.
Katherine Tangalakis-Lippert is the new reporter at San Fernando Valley Business Journal covering retail, nonprofits and hospitality. She spent the past year freelancing for many publications in the Los Angeles area including WitnessLA, Wear Your Voice and HelloGiggles. Before that, Tangalakis-Lippert has worked at Beacon Project as an investigative reporter.
Protocol has hired Megan Rose Dickey as senior reporter covering artificial intelligence and diversity, equity and inclusion in the technology industry. Most recently, she worked for TechChrunch as a senior reporter and before that served as a producer for KITE Solutions, Inc. and a reporter for Business Insider.
The Dallas Morning News has announced two editorial staff updates:
- Dom DiFurio now covers consumer companies. He spent the past two-and-a-half years covering breaking business news about small business and Fortune 500 companies. DiFurio joined the paper in 2015 from News21.
- Marin Wolf will join the paper June 7 after graduating from the University of North Carolina to take over the breaking news/general assignment business beat from DiFurio. Wolf has previously interned at Bloomberg News on its diversity and sustainability desk.
Nicole Ortiz has been promoted to senior story editor at Adweek, covering the advertising and marketing industries, people in business, and editorial and opinion pieces on emerging trends in these industries. She was most recently a senior editor at the outlet and joined the staff as community editor in 2018. Before that, Ortiz worked for Best Lawyers as managing editor.
Barron's Advisor has welcomed Amey Stone as associate editor. She comes from Morgan Stanley's wealth management team where she was a writer since 2017. Prior to that, she penned Barron.com's column "Current Yield" for two years, and before that served as managing editor for MSN Money.
Columbus Business First reporter Hayleigh Colombo now covers workforce development and diversity, equity and inclusion and will continue to cover the business of higher education, arts, sports, and tourism. She has been at the outlet since 2019 and before that, she spent more than five years at the Indianapolis Business Journal covering education and state government.
Andrea Hsu is NPR’s new labor and workplace correspondent, effective May 10. She is currently a senior producer at NPR's "All Things Considered," and has been at NPR since 2002. Her work has won numerous prizes for NPR, including the prestigious Peabody and DuPont awards. Hsu started her career as a researcher at BBC and has also previously worked at National Geographic.
KSBY-TV, the dual NBC/CW+-affiliated station in San Luis Obispo, California, has welcomed Genelle Padilla as a morning anchor. She co-anchors the morning newscast with Neil Hebert and Brooke Martell. Padilla comes from KCOY-TV in Santa Maria, California, where she anchored evenings for almost two years.
Nadeen Abusada has moved to evenings at WBRZ-TV, the ABC-affiliated station in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. She will deliver the news at the station’s 10:00 p.m. newscast. Abusada has been on the morning news broadcast since 2018.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.