Tik Root has joined the Climate and Environment team at the Washington Post as a reporter for climate solutions. Root comes to The Post from Newsy, an award-winning live news channel, where he worked in the documentary unit. He is also a veteran freelance writer and his byline has appeared in The Post many times, as well as in National Geographic and The New York Times, among other publications.
Dana Afana will join the Detroit Free Press later in May as a reporter covering City Hall and local elections. She comes from MLive where she spent five years as a reporter covering transportation issues locally and regionally, and countywide commercial real estate and business stories. She was previously an intern at MLive.
The Los Angeles Times Metro environmental team has welcomed Alex Wigglesworth as a reporter covering wildfires. She will cover breaking news during fire season but also dive deeply into the ecological, climate, economic and political facets of the topic. Wigglesworth previously spent nearly two years as a breaking news reporter on L.A. and has been on staff at the LA Times since 2016.
Erin Kayata has joined Boston Magazine as a writer covering real estate. She was most recently a reporter for Hearst Connecticut Media Group and has also previously worked as an associate editor at MJH Associates Inc. and an assistant staff writer at Reader’s Digest Association.
San Francisco Chronicle business reporter Shwanika Narayan has moved to the race and equity team to cover workplace discrimination, income inequality, and poverty. She has been with The Chronicle since 2019 and has since covered retail and logistics. As a freelance writer and video journalist her work has appeared at AJ+, Al Jazeera's digital arm, as well as NBC News and Quartz.
Lydia Moynihan has joined the New York Post as Wall Street reporter. She comes from Fox Business Network, where she spent four years, most recently as producer for Charlie Gaspirano. Before that, Moynihan interned at CNBC and Nasdaq.
Milwaukee Business Journal has hired Teddy Nykiel as a reporter covering technology, startups, and residential real estate. Nykiel was most recently an associate digital editor for Taste of Home in Milwaukee. Previously, she spent five years as a writer for NerdWallet in San Francisco.
Sonia Waraich is the new reporter at the Triangle Business Journal covering healthcare, life sciences, and higher education in the Triangle. She was most recently a reporter at the Times-Standard newspaper in Eureka, California.
Indrani Sen has joined The New York Times as culture vertical editor for Opinion. She joins The Times from Medium, where she was an editorial director and oversaw three publications — Forge, GEN and ZORA. Previously, Sen was Quartz’s culture and lifestyle editor, where she founded and ran Quartzy.
The Associated Press has announced multiple staff promotions at the senior leadership team in News:
- Washington bureau chief Julie Pace and global sports editor Michael Giarrusso have become assistant managing editors and joined the senior team. Pace has been helming the DC bureau since 2017, and Giarrusso served as a sports editor since 2013.
- Deputy managing editor Amanda Barrett has assumed broad responsibility for digital content and our efforts to grow audience. This will be in addition to her responsibilities involving the Nerve Center, News staff diversity and inclusive storytelling.
- At the visuals team, director of photography David Ake has been promoted to assistant managing editor. And deputy managing editor Derl McCrudden now focuses on video and audio, including emerging opportunities in streaming markets.
- Deputy managing editor for Operations David Scott is now News’ vice president and managing editor for operations, products and production. In this expanded role, he serves as News’ primary liaison with Revenue, Products and Technology.
Claire Spellberg Lustig is the new TV editor for Primetimer. She comes from Decider.com, where she served as reporter/producer and reported on breaking entertainment news stories, and larger industry trends with an emphasis on Netflix, Disney, and Warner Media. Before that, Spellberg Lustig was a tv/film writer at Elite Daily.
Insider continues to expand its newsroom and has hired multiple staff across the organization:
- Alison Brower has joined Insider as LA bureau chief for business. She was most recently the deputy editor for arts and entertainment at the Los Angeles Times, where she oversaw business and cultural coverage as well as investigative features. Prior to that, Brower was the deputy editorial director at the Hollywood Reporter for five years.
- Bianca Chan has joined Insider as a finance reporter. Previously she was an editor of Bank Automation News, a publication covering technology, automation, and innovation within financial services.
- Michael Cogley has joined Insider as associate tech editor in London. Previously he was a tech correspondent at The Telegraph.
- Ryan Joe has joined as advertising editor. He was most recently the managing editor at AdExchanger,
- Bradford William Davis has joined the staff as a reporter on the investigations desk. He previously worked as a columnist for the New York Daily News.
- Tom Dotan has joined Insider as a senior correspondent covering the gig economy, including Uber and Doordash. He previously worked at The Information,
- Bethany McLean has joined Insider as special correspondent. Previously a contributing editor at Vanity Fair and an editor at large at Fortune.
- Isabelle Lee has joined Insider as a markets reporter. Before moving to New York, she was an on-air stock market reporter and a television producer in the Philippines.
- Anders Kapur is the new senior managing producer based in New York. Previously he was a video producer and editor for Deadspin.
- Tekendra Parmar joins Insider as a tech editor, freelance. He has previously written for Time, Fortune, and The Nation, among other publications.
- Vishal Persaud has joined as a startups and venture-capital editor. He was previously the venture capital and technology editor at PitchBook News.
- Justin Rood has joined Insider as an investigative correspondent. Previously he was a Senate committee investigator and trained Hill investigators from both parties.
- Mattathias Schwartz has been added as senior correspondent. He has previously contributed to New York Times magazine and is a former staffer of The New Yorker.
- Anna Silman has joined Insider as a senior features reporter. She spent the past five years as a senior writer at The Cut at New York Magazine.
"Post Reports," the daily podcast from the Washington Post, has hired two assistant producers:
- Sabby Robinson has joined the staff as assistant producer from American Public Media, where she has been producing audio documentaries and episodes for APM Reports’ podcast “Educate.” Prior to that she was an intern at Chalkbeat.
- EmmaTalkoff has joined the staff as assistant producer. She comes from NPR, where she was most recently a producer on “Morning Edition” and “Up First. Before that she was an intern at Time.
Sahil Patel has joined The Information as media reporter. He spent the past two years at The Wall Street Journal reporting on tech platforms and digital video as part of the CMO Today newsletter team. Before that, Patel worked at Digiday, VideoLink, and Cynopsis.
Forbes has welcomed Kevin Dowd as a staff writer covering private equity and M&As. He will also pen a newsletter titled Deal Flow, focusing on mergers and acquisitions. The newsletter made its debut on April 18 and publishes Sunday through Thursday. Dowd was most recently a reporter for PitchBook, where he covered private markets.
- Brianna Keilar has moved from afternoons to co-anchor the revamped broadcast. She has been at CNN since 2011 and most recently anchored the "Right Now" broadcast.
- John Berman remains co-anchor of New Day and will continue to serve as a relief presenter of Anderson Cooper 360. He has been at CNN since 2012 and before that spent 17years at ABC News.
- Eric Hall is now the executive producer of New Day. He was most recently the EP of CNN Newsroom and has been at the network since 2010.
- Alisyn Camerota has moved from New Day to anchor CNN Newsroom, afternoons 2-4pm. She has been the anchor of New Day since 2014.
- Former New Day EP Javier Morgado has joined At This Hour at 11am. He had been at the helm of New Day for almost seven years.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.