The Washington Post has hired three breaking news reporters for its Seoul Hub:
- Andrew Jeong has joined the hub from The Wall Street Journal where he was a Seoul-based correspondent, focusing on North Korea. Previously, he was a reporter for the Korea Herald and the Acuris group, focusing on regulatory affairs.
- Rachel Pannett has joined the hub as a Sydney-based reporter. She joined The Post earlier this year after more than a decade with The Wall Street Journal, where she was deputy bureau chief for Australia and New Zealand.
- Bryan Pietsch has joined the paper after spending the last year covering breaking news for The New York Times as a member of the 2020-2021 fellowship class.
Maria Reeve is the new editor in chief of the Houston Chronicle. She succeeds Steve Riley, who announced in March that he will retire after a 41-year career in journalism. Reeve has been the paper's managing editor since she joined the staff in November 2019. Prior to that, she worked for the Star Tribune in Minneapolis, where she served in various roles including assistant managing editor of news, assistant features editor and deputy metro editor.
The New York Times has announced four new hires across the newsroom:
- Stephanie Nolen will join the team later in August as global health reporter. For the past year, she has been the Atkinson Fellow in Public Policy, producing a project for The Toronto Star on the pandemic and inequality in Canada. Nolen is a veteran foreign correspondent and has reported from more than 80 countries. She established bureaus for the Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper, in South and Central America, in South Asia, and in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Lara Sorokanich is a new staff editor assigning and editing stories for the paper's print Kids section. She joins The Times from Fast Company, where she edited front of book stories and feature packages and helped produce annual programs including the Most Innovative Companies and Most Creative People in Business.
- Josh Ocampo has joined the staff as senior digital editor and he will be assigning and editing articles for The Times's forthcoming app, as well as helping on the print section. He comes from Men’s Health, where he was a senior culture editor. Ocampo is also former staffer at Lifehacker and Mic.
- Stephen Gandel has joined the staff as DealBook’s news editor, where he will be planning, assigning and editing the flagship weekday newsletter. He will also write regularly for the newsletter as well. Gandel was previously at CBS News, where he was a senior reporter on the MoneyWatch site. Before that, he was a Bloomberg Opinion columnist and prior to that spent 14 years at Time Inc. as a feature writer at Money, an economics blogger at Time magazine and an assistant managing editor for Fortune.com.
Jennifer Day has been named features editor of Chicago magazine. She is a former books editor at the Chicago Tribune, who was among staffers reported to have taken a buyout in July. Day joined the Tribune in 2012 to launch the Printers Row Journal. She previously worked for the Toledo Blade and Detroit Legal News.
Vulture continues to expand its TV coverage and has added a new editor and promoted another:
- Nic Juarez is the site's new TV recaps editor tasked to work on building out Vulture's robust TV recaps. He Juarez joins from Weedmaps.com, a cannabis service start-up where he served as content strategist.
- Genevieve Koski has been promoted to senior TV editor. She was previously Vulture’s deputy TV editor, a position she’s held since 2018. Before that, Koski was at Vox, where she was deputy culture editor.
Andrea González-Ramírez has joined The Cut as senior writer, effective August 2. She writes and reports on subjects surrounding communities of color, with a focus on sexism, racism, classism, and other systems of power. González-Ramírez was most recently a senior staff writer at Medium’s politics website GEN, where she reported on gender, race, the 2020 election, the COVID-19 pandemic, and other subjects.
Refinery29 has hired Ugochi Egonu is an associate newsletter editor. She was most recently a contract writer at Audible, where she co-wrote and edited the script for an episode of "Life Skills by Rookie." Before that, Egonu was a youth ambassador at Instagram and a youth correspondent for VICE Media.
The Washington Post has also added a tech writer and promoted a reporter:
- Cristiano Lima has joined the paper as the writer of The Technology 202 newsletter. Prior to joining The Post spent five years at Politico, most recently covering tech policy and politics in Congress.
- Tony Romm is now the congressional economic policy reporter at the paper. He has been at The Post since 2018 and has since covered tech companies and breaking news exclusives.
Jennifer Waters has joined The Real Deal as a reporter covering real estate in the Chicago area. She spent the past three years at CoStar as a reporter and before that wrote the Consumer Confidential column for MarketWatch.com. Waters also wrote a personal business column about government retirement programs for the Sunday Wall Street Journal and served as the Chicago bureau chief for CBS MarketWatch.
Protocol has promoted Tom Krazit to enterprise editor. He was previously a senior reporter, covering cloud computing and enterprise technology. Krazit joined Protocol in 2020 from GeekWire, where he was the clout and enterprise editor.
Construct America Magazine has named Ciaran Jarosz top editor. He will continue leading editorial and marketing departments of BIM Hub, Manufacturing and Engineering Magazine, Property and Development, Building Design & Construction, and Transport & Logistics, a position he has held since 2014. Jarosz is based in England.
Anastassia Gliadkovskaya has joined Fierce Healthcare as a staff reporter, covering healthcare with a focus on business and policy. Most recently, she was an editorial intern at Forbes and worked on the annual World’s Billionaires issue. Gliadkovskaya has also interned at Keiser Health News and worked as a contractor on the Tip Desk, Electionland at ProPublica.
MarketWatch has hired Katherine Wiles as a trending money reporter. Most recently, she served as an assistant producer for digital at Marketplace and joined the staff in 2019 as a digital intern. Prior to that, Wiles was a radio host for USC Annenberg Media.
Alx Stevens has been named managing editor of Idaho Business Review. She had previously freelanced for the outlet for two years and before that worked as a reporter for Kuna Melba News, a sister weekly of the Idaho Press-Tribune. Prior to that, Stevens covered education in Canyon County for the Idaho Press-Tribune.
Steph Solis has joined the Boston Business Journal as digital editor. She was previously a statehouse and immigration reporter for MassLive.com. Solis has previously covered immigration for USA Today Network, specifically the Asbury Park Press and the North Jersey Record.
Texas Monthly has tapped longtime Wall Street Journal reporter Russell Gold as senior editor covering business in Texas. He had been at WSJ since 2000, mostly covering energy, oil, the energy transition and climate. Gold is the author of two books: The award-winning The Boom, about the rise of fracking, and Superpower, about a renewable energy entrepreneur and his bold idea to unleash the wind-power potential of the Great Plains.
Evan Fallor is the new senior antitrust reporter for DealReporter covering the Department of Justice, U.S. federal agencies and merger review. He was previously had a brief stint as a reporter for Tax Analysis, and before that worked for S&P Global Market Intelligence as trade reporter.
Vera Castillo has been named general producer for Telemundo’s afternoon magazine program “Al Rojo Vivo.” She was most recently the senior executive producer at WSCV-TV Telemundo 51, where she had worked since 2012. Before that, Castillo was she was an executive producer and news director of Mega TV’s “Mega News and De Frente” program.
KSLA-TV, the CBS-affiliated television station in Shreveport, Louisiana, has welcomed Kori Johnson as the 4 and 5 p.m. anchor. She was previously the weekend anchor at WCTI-TV in New Bern, North Carolina.
Joanna Hernandez has been named reporter at Chicago's PBS station WTTW-TV and its flagship program "Chicago Tonight." She produces and appears in general assignment news and feature stories, provides live reports from both the studio and the field, and reports on the many diverse communities and neighborhoods in the Chicago region. Her work also appears on WTTW’s Saturday evening program "Latino Voices." Hernandez previously spent five years at News 12 Networks in New York as a reporter.
Beasley Media's WJBR-FM (Mix 99.5) in Wilmington, Delaware, has added longtime Delaware personality Mike Rossi as midday host. He starts August 2. Rossi Rossi spent the past 33 years at WSTW-FM as a midday host, music director and, from 2013 to 2020, as program director.
Brandon Benitez has joined KRGV-TV, the ABC station in Weslaco, Texas, as weekend sports anchor. He also reports for the station’s 6 and 10 p.m. weeknight newscasts. Benitez comes from KHSL/KNVN-TV in Chico, California, where he spent the past year as weekend sports anchor and reporter.
Dan Abrams will join NewsNation with his own nightly primetime show. “Dan Abrams Live” debuts September 27 and will air weeknights from 8 p.m. ET to 9 p.m. ET. In addition to his TV work, Abrams is the chief legal affairs analyst for ABC News. He also previously spent 13 years at MSNBC.
WCBV-TV, the ABC station in Boston, has shuffled its noon anchor lineup:
- Jessica Brown has joined the station as co-anchor of the noon newscast alongside Antoinette Antonio. Brown was previously a morning anchor at WXIX-TV in Cincinnati, Ohio, and will also co-anchor the 4 p.m. newscast and will serve as NewsCenter 5’s medical reporter.
- Noon anchor Erika Tarantal now anchor the station’s 5 and 5:30 p.m. newscasts with Ben Simmoneau. She has been an anchor and reporter at WCVB since 2014 and will continue hosting the station’s news segment 5 for Good.
COMING SOON: Cision Media Moves Canada!
Subscribe to our upcoming Cision Media Moves Canada Newsletter launching September 1! Learn about the latest staff moves from major Canadian media and choose between a French and English edition - or both! SUBSCRIBE HERE.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes thousands of media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.