Axios has announced several top editorial promotions:
- Sara Kehaulani Goo has been named editor in chief. She succeeds Nicholas Johnston, who has been editor in chief since its founding in 2016; Johnston will take on a new role as publisher to focus on new newsroom initiatives, including the ongoing expansion of Axios Local and other upcoming products. Kehaulani Goo joined Axios in 2019 as executive editor and since then has launched the company's podcast operations. Prior to joining Axios, Kehaulani Goo was the managing editor of digital news for NPR. She has also held leadership roles at Pew Research Center and The Washington Post.
- Aja Whitaker-Moore has been promoted to executive editor. She joined Axios in 2020 as a managing editor overseeing the outlet's business coverage and newsletters, including Axios Markets, Pro Rata and Closer. Prior to Axios, Whitaker-Moore served as the global editor in chief of fixed income for the Acuris Group, and the deputy editor in chief at Debtwire.
Danielle Cohen has joined The Cut as a blogger. She comes to the site from GQ Magazine, where she was an editorial business assistant, and most recently an editorial operations associate. Prior to that, Cohen has interned at Esquire and New York magazine.
Condé Nast has appointed Sarah Burke as editor in chief of them. Burke has spent the majority of the last few years at VICE and, since February, has overseen the production of the VICE World News documentary series Transnational, which highlights issues around transgender rights globally. As editor in chief, Burke will spearhead them.’s content creation across digital, video, and social platforms.
The Washington Post has added two new correspondents covering China
- Christian Shepherd has joined the paper as a China correspondent. He has spent the last six years as a Beijing correspondent for Reuters and the Financial Times Shepherd is based at The Post's Beijing bureau.
- Cate Cadell has joined The Post as a national security correspondent who will focus on the U.S.-China relationship. has spent the past eight years in China, including five years with Reuters, covering politics, human rights, trade and technology. Cadell starts Nov. 1 and will be based in Washington.
Amy X. Wang is the new assistant managing editor at The New York Times Magazine. She comes to the magazine from Rolling Stone where she has been a senior editor since 2018 and has spearheaded their coverage of the music business. Before Rolling Stone, she was a reporter at Quartz and the Economist.
Bloomberg Law has welcomed Andrew Kreighbaum as a reporter covering immigration. She spent the last three years as an education and labor reporter at Bloomberg Government and before that she covered federal policy fir Inside Higher Ed.
The San Francisco Chronicle has welcomed two editors in Opinion:
- Zeba Khan has joined the staff as deputy editorial page editor. She brings nearly a decade of experience as senior facilitator at the Op-Ed Project. In 2018 Khan was a John S. Knight Journalism Fellow at Stanford University and has taught design thinking workshops for journalists of color at the Maynard Institute as well as for journalism students at the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University. As a freelance opinion writer, her pieces on race, religion and politics have appeared in national outlets including the Boston Globe, CNN and the Washington Post.
- Harry Mok has joined Opinion as assistant editor. He comes to the team from the copy desk, where he has been an on-call editor since 2016. Mok has had stints as an online producer with the Bay Area News Group and as a writer for the US Office of the President.
Penny Rosenberg has been named the editor of the Albany Democrat-Herald (Oregon) and the Corvallis Gazette-Times, and will also supervise the Lebanon Express. Most recently worked as the city editor for three papers in the Los Angeles area.
The Puget Sound Business Journal has tapped Joey Thompson as healthcare and retail reporter. Most recently he was a reporter at The Daily Herald of Everett and covered south Snohomish County, COVID-19 and data visualization. Thompson has also worked at the Associated Press and has contributed to The Spokesman-Review.
Lisette Voytko now covers entertainment at Forbes and focuses on earnings in Hollywood, music and influencing. She spent the past year on the wealth team and joined Forbes in 2019 as a breaking news reporter. As a freelancer her work has appeared in xoJane and Bklyner.
Morningstar has promoted Tom Lauricella to chief markets editor. He has been the editor of Morningstar StockInvestor since 2015, and before that spent 15 years at The Wall Street Journal as a reporter and editor. At The Journal, he was part of a team that won a Gerald Loeb Award in 2011 for covering the flash crash. Lauricella has also covered bond markets for Dow Jones.
MarketWatch has welcomed Nathan Vardi as managing editor for enterprise. He will lead a team of reporters tasked with producing deep-dive features, investigations, and data projects. Vardi spent the past two decades at Forbes -- most recently as a senior editor -- and has covered hedge funds, private equity, and pharma among many other subjects, and written more than 20 magazine cover stories.
Natalie Venegas is the new breaking news reporter at Adweek. She comes to the publication from AL DIA News Media and Philadelphia, where she was a news reporter for several months. Before that, she was a social media manager and content producer for Voces Oral History Center in Austin, Texas.
American Public Media's Marketplace program has hired Savannah Maher as a reporter on the economics beat. She was most recently a tribal affairs reporter for KUNM public radio in New Mexico and held the same post before that at Wyoming Public Radio. Maher has also served as an associate producer at NPR and WBUR’s Here & Now.
Morning Brew has hired Grace Donnelly as an emerging tech reporter covering electric vehicles, batteries, and all things climate tech. She was most recently a staff writer at the Atlanta Business Journal and before that served as associate editor for Fortune magazine.
Freddy Rolón has been promoted to SVP of programming and scheduling at ESPN. He is responsible for leading the overall content strategy and schedule for ESPN’s linear networks, including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNEWS. He’ll also continue to oversee all aspects of the ESPN Deportes’s linear and digital business. Rolón joined ESPN in 2004 as Senior Manager of Marketing for ESPN Deportes and has spent his entire career with the company. Since 2020 he has been the VP of programming and acquisitions at ESPN.
KATC-TV, the ABC/CW station in Lafayette, Louisiana, has brought on Nichole Cyprian as news director. She spent the past three years as the news director at WALB-TV in South Georgia and before that has held executive producer positions at WLBT-TV in Jackson, Mississippi and WMC-TV in Memphis, Tennessee.
Andrew Gillfillan is the new assistant news director of WFOR-TV, the CBS station in Miami. He was most recently the executive producer at KNTV-TV in San Jose, California, for five years. Prior to that, Gillfillan has held EP positions at KRIV-TV in Houston and WXMI-TV in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
KAIT-TV, the ABC station in Jonesboro, Arkansas, has promoted Jorge Quiquivix to assistant news director, upped from news producer. He has been on staff since 2012 and joined as an associate producer.
Uriel Posada has joined KTRK-TV, the ABC station in Houston, Texas, as executive producer. He spent the past eight years as the regional news director at KINT-TV in El Paso, Texas, and before that has held EP and ND positions at KTDO-TV in New Mexico and KUVS-TV in Modesto, California.
WJTV-TV, the CBS station in Jackson, Mississippi, has brought on Warren Trent as assistant news director. He comes to the station from KTVK-TV in Phoenix, Arizona, where he spent more than a decade, most recently as investigative producer. Prior to that, Trent spent three decades at The Walt Disney Company.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.