New York Magazine has announced two editorial staff updates:
- Mariam Aldhahi will take on a new role as managing editor, beginning May 31. She succeeds Ann Clarke who is retiring after serving in that role for 17 years, making her the longest tenured managing editor in the magazine’s 54-year history. Since 2020, Aldhahi has been the director of editorial operations for New York Magazine. Prior to joining the magazine, she was managing editor of Curbed.
- Lane Brown has returned to the magazine as features writer. He writes features across a wide variety of topics as well as a monthly column for Vulture. Most recently, Brown was a special projects editor at Pitchfork. During his first stint at New York Magazine, he was a culture editor for seven years.
Leigh Ann Caldwell has joined The Washington Post as co-author of the Early 202 and an anchor of Washington Post Live. She’ll be a marquee anchor for Live, appearing weekly to lead news-making interviews with elected officials, decision-makers and other influencers in Washington and beyond. Her interviews will also be published as a podcast series. Caldwell will also co-author The Post's premier morning political newsletter, Early 202. She joins The Post from NBC News where she has worked since 2014. Caldwell is an award-winning congressional correspondent for NBC News and has covered every presidential and midterm election since 2008 and previously worked at CNN, CBS News and C-SPAN.
Politico has promoted Clea Benson to managing editor, policy, upped from deputy managing editor. Benson has been at the outlet since 2015, when has joined PoliticoPro as financial services editor. Before that, she spent five years reporting for Bloomberg News. Benson has also worked for Congressional Quarterly, Sacramento Bee, and The Philadelphia Inquirer.
Sarah Garland has joined The New York Times as a Metro assistant editor focusing on education, healthcare, housing and homelessness. She comes to The Times from The Hechinger Report, a nonprofit education news outlet that produces reported pieces about the nation’s schools and universities, where she was the executive editor. Before joining Hechinger in 2010, Garland worked for Newsweek International and The New York Sun, covering immigration and criminal justice.
Brian Underwood has been named beauty director at Women’s Health. In his new role, he will oversee all beauty content across print, digital, social, and other brand extensions and events. Underwood was most recently the beauty and wellness director at Oprah Daily. Before that, he held editorial positions at Dr. Oz The Good Life, Life & Style Weekly, and Woman's Day.
Fortune has tapped Chloe Taylor as a London-based reporter. She was most recently a news assistant in the London offices of CNBC, and before that was a news editor, Retail Express at Newtrade Publishing. Taylor has also previously worked as a journalist at Key Media in Auckland, New Zealand.
Inside Climate News has hired an editor and a reporter:
- Erin Schulte Collier has joined the staff as senior editor for networks and partnerships. She is tasked to develop climate and environmental reporting networks in Southeast, Midwest, Mountain West, West Coast and other regions. She will also direct coverage and edit articles. Schulte Collier was previously a freelancer for Fast Company, and her work has also appeared in The New York Times, Wired, Kaiser Health News, The Washington Post and more.
- Victoria St. Martin has joined the outlet as health and environmental justice reporter. She is a veteran journalist and journalism educator who has worked for The Washington Post, The Star-Ledger, and The Times-Picayune.
Genna Contino will join The Charlotte Observer mid-May as a reporter covering Charlotte and Mecklenburg County in North Carolina. She just wrapped up her duties at Greenville News Media Group, where she spent a year as gentrification and affordable housing reporter. Prior to that, Contino reported for Spartanburg Herald-Journal in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
The Verge has hired David Pierce as editor at large and co-host of the site’s namesake podcast The Vergecast. He will also write and report focusing on major tech companies and consumer technology. This marks a homecoming for Pierce, who was previously deputy editor at The Verge, and a frequent guest on The Vergecast during his original stint at the site. He joins from Protocol, where he was editorial director, helping to launch the publication and its flagship “Source Code” newsletter and podcast.
Joseph Williams has returned to Protocol as a reporter after several months reporting for Bloomberg News. During his first stint at Protocol, Williams was a senior reporter covering enterprise software, including industry giants like Salesforce, Microsoft, IBM and Oracle. Before that, he covered AI and advanced technology for Business Insider.
The Worcester Business Journal has welcomed Alexander McDougall as a reporter covering healthcare and diversity. Most recently, he was an editorial assistant for Innovation Leader in Boston and before that reported for Houlton Pioneer Times. McDougall has also freelanced for Worcester Magazine.
Emma Ockerman is the newest reporter at MarketWatch and part of the Personal Finance Team, covering the intersection of personal finance, inequality, and social justice. Most recently, she covered inequality, civil rights, and the economy for VICE News, and before that she reported for Bloomberg News covering U.S. equities for the First Word team.
Morning Consult has welcomed back reporter Mark Burns to cover sports business. Most recently, he was a reporter for Sports Business Journal covering the NHL/hockey and MLS/soccer. Before that he had a brief stint at Morning Consult and served as the editor in chief of Sports Business Chronicle.
Automotive News has two new staff members:
- Kellen Walker has joined the outlet as a podcast producer and host of the "Daily Drive." He spent the past 13 years at Hubbard Broadcasting as a podcast producer, on-air radio personality and music director.
- Jake Neher has joined the staff as a reporter and lead investment in audio storytelling. He was most recently a producer and host of "Today with Stephen Henderson" on WDET-FM in Detroit, and before that worked for Michigan Public Radio Network as capitol reporter.
Sydney Franklin has joined The Cincinnati Enquirer as real estate enterprise reporter. Most recently, she was a contracted reporter at The New York Times, where she covered the weekly On the Market column and freelance on feature real estate-related articles. Before that, Franklin worked at The Architect's Newspaper as an associate editor.
Business Insider has welcomed Morgan Chittum as a reporter covering investing and crypto on the Investing Desk. She was previously a crypto reporter for Blockworks and covered markets and digital assets for almost a year. Before that, Chittum was a breaking news reporter on the Metro Desk of the New York Daily News.
Aaron Holmes is the new reporter at The Information covering enterprise tech. he joins the staff from Business Insider, where he was a tech reporter for the past two years and reported on cybersecurity and breaking news. Before that, Homes was a Metro intern at the Tampa Bay Times.
Bloomberg News has announce several staff updates:
- Jon Morgan has been named senior editor for enterprise at the Washington, D.C. bureau. He spent the past decade as a team lead and editor at large at the bureau, and managing a team covering transportation, technology, and the environment. Before Bloomberg, Morgan worked at the Pew Research Center and the Baltimore Sun.
- Reporter Daniel Flatley has moved to the National Security Team to focus on economic sanctions and diplomacy. He has been covering Congress for Bloomberg News in Washington, D.C., with a focus on foreign policy and national security. Flatley has been at Bloomberg News since 2017.
- Lydia Beyoud has joined Bloomberg as a reporter to on the Financial Policy Team to cover the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodities Futures Trading Commission. She was previously at Bloomberg Law and has also worked for Reorg Research and Bloomberg BNA.
Cox Media Group has created a new division to focus on elevating investigative content and collaborations among all of its stations. The company has hired two to lead the Investigative Unit:
- Josh Wade has been named executive producer and starts June 1. He was most recently a senior investigative producer at WSB-TV in Atlanta, Georgia, where he spent two decades.
- Jodie Fleischer has been named managing editor of investigative content. She was previously an investigative reporter at NBC in Washington, D.C., and before that spent a decade at Cox-owned WSB-TV in Atlanta, Georgia.
WRC-TV, the NBC station in Washington, D.C., has added three journalists to its staff:
- Walter Morris has joined the station as a reporter after spending the past year as the Los Angeles correspondent for Black News Channel. Before that he spent seven years at WSVN-TV in Miami.
- Mauricio Casillas has joined the station as a reporter. He comes from KVIA-TV in El Paso, Texas, where he was most recently a morning news anchor and executive producer for Good Morning El Paso.
- Melissa Younger has joined as a Nightside executive producer. She comes from WBTS in Boston, where she was also the Nightside executive producer. Younger has also produced newscasts at stations in Myrtle Beach, Greenville, S.C., and Pittsburgh.
Sara Salinas has been promoted to deputy business editor at CNBC upped from news editor. She joined the network in 2017 as technology reporter and before that interned for the Boston Globe, Indianapolis Star and Baltimore Business Journal.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes thousands of media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.