The Los Angeles Times has hired several new reporters to cover immigration, and the regions of Sacramento, Los Angeles and Northern California:
- Mackenzie Mays has joined the Sacramento bureau as a state government reporter who will lead a new focus on issues of inequality and how Californians in need are, or are not, being served by their state government. She was most recently a reporter at Politico Pro for two years.
- Hannah Wiley has joined the Sacramento bureau as a state government reporter who will cover California criminal justice and housing issues. She was previously at the Sacramento Bee, where she served as lead legislative reporter
- Jeong Park has joined the LA Times as an Asian American communities reporter, based in Los Angeles. Park comes from the Sacramento Bee, where he covered economic inequity and other labor issues.
- Rachel Uranga has joined Metro as transportation and mobility writer. She spent the past two years at dot.LA as the managing editor for news, and before that covered the Los Angeles Police Department for the Daily News.
- Jessica Garrison will re-join the LA Times Feb. 7 as Northern California correspondent. She comes from BuzzFeed News, where she was an investigative reporter and editor. During her first stint at the LA Times, she was an investigative reporter covering education, City Hall, and the courts.
- Andrea Castillo has joined the Washington office to cover federal immigration policy and the ways the current system serves and fails to serve our nation. She has worked at the LA Times since 2017 and is a founding member of The Times’ Latino Caucus.
Katherine Tinsley is the new digital editorial assistant at Good Housekeeping. She covers entertainment and some beauty content. She was most recently an entertainment correspondent and writer at The Kockturnal, where she conducted celebrity interviews.
ReCode has announced two promotions:
- Samantha Oltman is now senior editor. She has been at Vox since 2019 and helped relaunch ReCode on Vox.com. and before that served as deputy tech editor at BuzzFeed, and a web producer at Wired before that.
- Emily Stewart has been promoted to senior correspondent and will focus on how markets affect people in their everyday lives. She has been at Vox since 2017 and has covered politics, breaking news and business.
Chris Megerian will join the Associated Press in Washington, D.C., Jan 31 as part of the White House team. He spent the past decade at the Los Angeles Times as a reporter in Washington covering the White House. Before that, Megerian covered Gov. Chris Christie, the state police and the prison system for The Star-Ledger.
The New York Times has welcomed Kathleen Hennessey as deputy politics editor of enterprise. She joins the paper from the Associated Press, where she has served in many positions including a White House reporter and editor, deputy Washington bureau chief and, most recently, as regional politics editor. She has also covered the Obama White House for the Los Angeles Times and Tribune newspapers.
Gabriella Cruz-Martínez has joined Yahoo Finance as a reporter covering housing, taxes and credit. She was most recently a staff writer at Money covering personal finance and lifestyle topics. Cruz-Martínez has also contributed to the Hyde Park Herald in Chicago covering K-12 education, business, and politics.
Bloomberg News has hired Caitlin Fichtel as breaking news editor. She was previously a social newsgathering reporter at NBC News for four years and utilize social media platforms to source, verify and license content. Prior to that, Fichtel was an assignment editor/filed producer for NECN in Boston and a digital reporter for NBC Boston.
Morning Brew has tapped Alyssa Meyers as a reporter for Marketing Brew. She was most recently a brands reporter at Morning Consult. Prior to that, Meyers was an editorial fellow at Business Insider and a reporting intern at The Virginian-Pilot.
Joseph Zeballos-Roig has been promoted to senior economics reporter at Business Insider covering federal spending, unemployment and taxes among other topics. He spent the past two years as a policy reporter covering taxes, inequality and federal spending, and has been on staff since June 2019. Prior to that, he was a freelance writer and reported on politics, foreign affairs and culture published in The New Republic and Bedford + Bowery, a New York Magazine site.
WNYC has announced that Janae Pierre has been named host of the daily news podcast "Consider This." Jointly produced by WNYC and NPR, "Consider This" is a podcast that brings listeners a mix of the biggest local and national stories based on the listener’s location. Pierre's first day is Feb. 7, and she’ll begin appearing on air later that month. She joins from WBHM in Birmingham, Alabama, where she hosts All Things Considered and does general assignment reporting. Prior to WBHM, she hosted ATC at WWNO in New Orleans.
Julie Moravchik is the new news director for WBAY-TV, the ABC affiliate in Green Bay, Wisconsin. She was most recently the news content manager at WITI-TV in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for two years. Prior to that, she has worked for Spectrum News 1 as assistant news director at NBC26 in Green Bay as news director.
Rachel Smolkin has been promoted to senior vice president of global news for CNN Digital Worldwide. She has been the VP of news at CNN Digital since May 2021 and has been at the network since 2014, when she joined as executive editor for CNN Politics. Prior to that, Smolkin worked for Politico as the managing editor of news.
CBN/Christian Broadcasting Network will welcome Matt Galka as a reporter at the end of February 2022. He is currently wrapping up his duties as a reporter for KSAZ-TV, the Fox station in Phoenix, Arizona, where he has worked since 2017.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes thousands of media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.
Subscribe to the Cision Blog
Don't miss an article!