Marie Claire has recruited Deena Campbell as beauty director and oversees beauty content across all platforms. Most recently, she was a beauty content director at Group Nine Media and before that worked as a senior lifestyle editor at Motherly. Campbell has also freelanced for NBC Digital, SELF, PopSugar, Allure, StyleCaster, and other publications.
Politico has announced a promotion and a new hire on the healthcare team:
- Erin Banco has been named global health correspondent covering the pandemic and focusing on how the Biden administration’s policy decisions impact the health and security of other countries. She has been at Politico since February 2021 and most recently served as healthcare reporter.
- Barbara Van Tine has joined as healthcare editor. She was most recently an editorial content manager for the University of California-Berkeley’s consumer health newsletter. In the early aughts, she spent eight years at Dowden Health Media
Hearst Magazines has named Tony Quiroga editor in chief of Car and Driver, overseeing content strategy and development across the brand’s print and digital platforms. Quiroga has been an editor and writer at Car and Driver for 18 years, most recently as cars director. He is also the longest-tenured test driver for the magazine’s signature “Lightning Lap” franchise.
ProPublica has added two engagement reporters:
- Byard Duncan has joined the staff from The Center of Investigative Reporting, where he spent the past seven years as a reporter and producer.
- Asia Fields has joined the staff spending the past three years at The Seattle Times, where most recently she was an emerging investigative reporter.
The New York Times has promoted two editors on the Metro desk:
- Nestor Ramos has been upped to deputy Metro editor. In his new role, he helps to oversee the desk while directing some of the paper's long-form narrative writers. He was most recently an assistant Metro editor and joined The Times in 2020 after several years at the Boston Globe.
- Judy Tong has also been named deputy Metro editor for strategy and operations. She has spent the better part of her career at The Times, starting as a clerk on Metro and Foreign, and then working in Hong Kong to help open The Times’s new bureau there. Most recently, she worked with Newsroom Product, helping develop a new planning tool for the home page.
Katie Krzaczek will join The Philadelphia Inquirer at the end of February as digital editor. She spent the past two years at Business Insider as a business editor, and before that served as an associate editor and producer at Yahoo Finance. Krzaczek has also worked at Billboard and BuzzFeed News.
The Daily Line has tapped Ben Szalinski as a legislative reporter covering Illinois state government, including the General Assembly, Governor’s office, and campaigns throughout the state. He was most recently a local government reporter for Shaw Media's Northwest Herald and before that worked as an intern at the State Journal-Register.
Margarita Noriega is the new managing editor, B2B at Morning Brew. She joined the outlet from CalMatters, where she spent the past two years as a vice president of engagement. Prior to that, Noriega was a lead editor at Glitch and an executive digital editor ay Newsweek. She has also spent time reporting for Reuters and Vox.com.
The Houston Business Journal has hired Shafaq Patel as a reporter covering economic development within Beltway 8, education and diversity, equity and inclusion efforts. She previously worked for HBJ’s parent company, the American City Business Journals, as a DEI reporter. Prior to that, Patel was an intern at the Boston Business Journal and a contract reporter with ACBJ.
The New York Times and Serial Productions has launched “The Trojan Horse Affair,” a new investigative reporting, limited podcast series hosted by Brian Reed. It was edited by “Serial” host and co-creator Sarah Koenig, and produced by Brian Reed, Hamza Syed and Rebecca Laks.
Almin Karamehmedovic has been promoted to senior executive producer of ABC News' "World News Tonight with David Muir," and has expanded his role to include News Content Development on streaming and broadcast. Karamehmedovic has been the executive producer of World News Tonight since 2014 and has been at ABC News since 1998. Prior to World News Tonight, Karamehmedovic held roles as producer, senior producer and executive producer of "Nightline."
The New York Times has promoted Brian Zittel to managing editor for both Op-Ed and newsletters. He was most recently an Op-Ed editor and successfully launched Opinion's newsletter portfolio. Zittel joined The Times in 2014 and before that spent two years as an honorary lecturer at the University of Hong Kong School of Journalism.
Oliver Morrison now covers K-12 education at PublicSource after spending the past four years reporting on health and environment. Morrison has been on staff since 2017 and before that spent tome reporting for The Wichita Eagle, New York Press, and ChalkBeat.
The Reno Gazette-Journal has welcomed two new staffers:
- Mark Robison has returned to the paper as the new local government reporter and community engagement director. He spent the past two years as a host of the Shelter Success Simplified Podcast. Before that, Robison was a co-executive director of Maddie's Pet Project. Between 1993 and 2017 he was a reporter at the Reno Gazette-Journal.
- Kevin MacMillan has joined the paper as city editor. He comes to the Reno Gazette-Journal from Northern Nevada Business Weekly, where he was the editor since 2019. Before that. MacMillan spent a decade at Sierra Sun & North Lake Tahoe Bonanza.
Amrith Ramkumar has switched beats at The Wall Street Journal and now covers climate finance and how Wall Street is paying for and profiting from the energy transition. Most recently he was covering SPACs, stocks and commodities and has been on staff since 2017.
STAT News has tapped Bob Herman as a reporter covering hospitals, health insurance and other health business stories; he begins Feb. 28. Most recently, Herman has been a reporter at Axios and spent five years covering the finances, policies and politics of the healthcare industry. Prior to that, he was the Midwest bureau chief for Modern Healthcare and a senior editor for Becker’s Hospital Review.
Matthew Dowd has joined MSNBC as a contributor and political analyst. His reporting will explore the many threats facing U.S. democracy, with planned on-the-ground segments across the country in the leadup to the consequential 2022 midterms. Dowd was previously a political contributor at ABC News and a consistent presence across all of the network’s political programming, including special event broadcasts. Before joining ABC News in 2007, Dowd was the chief strategist for the Bush-Cheney ’04 presidential campaign.
Univision has named Pedro Rojas Washington, D.C., correspondent. He previously spent seven years as the network’s Texas-based correspondent. Before that, he was a reporter and anchor for KXLN-45 Univision Houston from 2004 to 2014.
Nicole Buckley is the new editorial director at WTMJ-TV, the NBC station in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She has been the senior manager of enterprise and investigative content at the station, and for the past six months served as the interim editorial director. Buckley joined the station in 2015 and before that spent five years at WFTX-TV in Florida.
WWJ/WKBD-TV, the CBS duopoly in Detroit, Michigan, has promoted Paul Pytlowany to news director. He spent the past three years as director of local production and has been on staff for 24 years. Pytlowany has won 61 Michigan Regional Emmy Awards and the Michigan Association of Broadcasters’ (MAB) Excellence Award, in addition to being named the MAB’s “Photographer of the Year” five times.
Emily Thompson has been promoted to news director at WPBF-TV, the ABC station at West Palm Beach, Florida. She has been the assistant news director since 2019 and joined the station in 1998 as a producer. Prior to that, Thompson was a news producer at WXIN-TV in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes thousands of media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.
Subscribe to the Cision Blog
Don't miss an article!