Media Moves at WSJ & Forbes, Pitchfork Promotes Three
The Wall Street Journal has named Julie Jargon tech and families columnist. The role is part of the Technology Bureau and Jargon will write mainly for the Life & Arts section. She is a WSJ veteran and has been with the paper since 2007, when she joined as a restaurant reporter. Throughout the years, Jargon has covered every corner of the food industry indulging problems at Starbucks and Papa John's dramatic stories. Before WSJ, she was a reporter at Crain's Chicago Business.
Reporter Gerrit De Vynck has moved to the Google beat at Bloomberg News, after covering IBM and East Coast venture firms and startups since September 2017. He joined Bloomberg in 2013 and spent three years writing about the Canadian telecom, media and technology companies like Rogers, Telus, BlackBerry and Canadian tech startups.
Forbes has hired two new assistant editors, one on innovations and another on the money and markets team:
- Monica Melton has joined as assistant editor for Innovation covering cybersecurity, venture capital and innovation. She previously was an associate editor at Auto Finance News and Bank Innovation.
- Sarah Hansen is the new assistant editor for Money and Markets covering covering crypto, blockchain and fintech. She is a recent New York University graduate and has previously interned at Forbes, CNBC and at Investopedia.
Alyssa Katz has joined The City, the not-yet-launched independent, nonprofit news organization dedicated to hard-hitting reporting in New York City, as deputy editor. She comes from the New York Daily News, where she spent the last five years as an editorial board member. She is also the founding editor of The New York World,the accountability journalism project embedded in the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
Pitchfork, Conde Nast's digital platform exploring the independent music world, has promoted three of its staff to leadership positions:
- Amy Phillips is now managing editor, upped from senior news editor -- a position she has held since she joined the site in 2005.
- Matthew Strauss, previously associate editor, has been bumped to news editor. He joined Pitchfork in 2016 as a staff writer from Inverse.
- Evan Minsker has also been promoted to news editor, upped from deputy news editor. He has been with Pitchfork since 2011, and before that freelanced for the A.V. Club, MTV Hive, Paste, and others.
Sports radio WFNI-AM in Indianapolis, Indiana, has renamed the "Grady & Big Joe" show to "Jeff & Big Joe" after co-host Michael Grady exited the station in January. Jeff Rickard has been named co-host, and will broadcast alongside Joe Staysniak, effective Jan. 28. Rickard has worked for, traveled with and covered teams in both professional and Major College Sports since 1995. The show will continue to air weekdays form 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.