The Washington Post has added three general assignment reporters:
- Justine McDaniel has joined the paper's General Assignment desk, where she will cover breaking news and write of-the-moment features. She comes to The Post from the Philadelphia Inquirer, where she spent more than two years providing daily and enterprise coverage of the pandemic.
- Andrea Salcedo has joined the General Assignment desk, where she will also cover breaking news and writing of-the-moment features. She joins the desk from Morning Mix, where she wrote some of The Post’s most read and most emotionally gripping stories of the past two years.
- Maham Javaid has also joined The Post’s General Assignment desk to cover breaking news and write of-the-moment features. She was previously at The New York Times, where she spent part of 2022 covering the Ukraine war and other news for the Live Desk.
The New Republic has promoted Adrienne Mahsa Varkiani as an editor on the newly launched breaking news desk The Ticker. She spent the past four months as deputy editor for breaking news and joined The New Republic in June as a temporary editor. Before that, Mahsa Varkiani was a freelance reporter covering U.S. politics and world news for Slate, Teen Vogue, Mic, and other publications.
Allison Prang has joined POLITICO as a reporter on our sustainability team and will cover corporate governance and the social and environmental debates that are shaping key decisions in Washington. Prang joins POLITICO after five years at The Wall Street Journal, where she covered breaking news while writing about labor, banking and the stock market on the side.
The Atlantic has hired Yasmin Tayag as a staff writer. Over the past year, in her work as a freelancer, she has contributed extensively to The Atlantic. She previously worked at Medium, where she launched the publication Future Human and edited the Coronavirus Blog. Prior to Medium, Tayag edited science coverage at Inverse.
Karen K. Ho has joined ARTNews as a senior reporter covering the business of the art industry. Most recently, she was a senior writer at The Business of Business, where she reported on business stories and sights from Thinknum's datasets. Before that, Ho reported on the business of sustainability for Business Insider.
Mother Jones has announced multiple promotions across the newsroom:
- Samantha Michaels has been upped to senior reporter after spending the past four years as criminal justice reporter. She's been at Mother Jones since 2014.
- Dan Friedman is now senior reporter. He has been the foreign influence and national security reporter since he joined the outlet in 2017.
- Hannah Levintova has been promoted to special projects editor, upped from financial policy reporter. She joined Mother Jones in 2011 as an editorial fellow.
- Sam Van Pykeren is now digital producer, promoted from producer. He started at Mother Jones in 2019.
- Ari Berman has been named national voting rights correspondent. He is also the author of Give Us the Ballot: The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America. He has been at Mother Jones since 2017.
The Block has hired Nathan Crooks as East Coast managing editor. Most recently, he was a breaking news editor for Bloomberg News in Miami, and before that spent five years as Bloomberg's Caracas bureau chief. The Block covers cryptocurrency news.
Larry Avila has been recruited as an editor for Industry Dive’s Supply Chain Dive. He joins the outlet from Northwest Indiana Business Magazine where he was the managing editor for almost five years. Prior to that, Avila was a business editor at The Times of Northwest Indiana and a business reporter at Wisconsin State Journal.
The Denver Business Journal has welcomed Analisa Romano as money reporter. She is a former local government reporter at the Greeley Tribune, where she won a handful of Colorado Press Association and Colorado Associated Press Editors and Reporters awards.
Ty Roush is the newest breaking news reporter at Forbes. He comes to the magazine from USA Today, where he reported for both the Asheville Citizen Times and Black Mountain News. Roush has also previously interned at The Opelika Observer in Alabama and The Herald-Sun in Durham, N.C.
Buffalo Business First has added a reporter and an editor:
- Jacob Tierney has joined the title as a reporter to cover banking and finance, the business of sports, public money and energy. He was previously a reporter for the Greensburg Tribune-Review and the Watertown Daily Times in Canton, New York, and before that served as executive editor of the Buffalo State Record.
- Hassan Green is BBF's new projects editor. He works on special publications and projects, and also compiles lists that appear in print and online, as well as the annual 300-page Book of Lists. Most recently, Green was a freelance writer for We Got This Covered and TAG24 News.
Carolynn Look has been promoted to editor on the Energy Team of Bloomberg News in Europe. She is based in the Frankfurt, Germany, bureau. Look has been at Bloomberg since 2015, when she joined the newswire as an intern. She has since reported on consumer and industry-related topics out of Beijing, and most recently covered the European Central Bank.
Stephen Schmidt has joined Louisville Business First as a reporter covering technology, bourbon and finance/banking. He was previously a writer for St. Mary’s University of Minnesota and a freelance writer.
Bloomberg Green reporter Coco Liu now writes about sustainability from all angles, with a special focus on Asia, greener living and the intersection between tech and climate change. Most recently, she covered the evolving relations between Big Tech and the Chinese government during the country’s first-ever tech crackdown. Liu has been at Bloomberg since 2020.
NBC News Digital has announced that Ginger Gibson is the new senior Washington editor, overseeing coverage of the White House, Capitol Hill, the Supreme Court, DC-centered politics and more. Gibson most recently spent three years as the team's deputy Washington editor and has been with NBC News since March 2020. Prior to that, she was a Washington correspondence at Reuters.
Xochitl Hinojosa has joined CNN as an on-air commentator focusing on national politics. She was previously the managing director at Bully Pulpit Interactive and before that served as the communications director for the Democratic National Committee.
KETV-TV, the ABC station in Omaha, Nebraska, has hired Jack Keenan as a morning news anchor. He spent the past three years at WPTA-TV in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, as a morning anchor and before that worked for KXLT-TV in Rochester, Minnesota.
Amanda Hara will join WSMV-TV, the NBC affiliate in Nashville, Tennessee, on Nov. 15 as morning co-anchor and director of digital content. She joins the station from WVLT-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee, where she spent the past decade as the main anchor of the 6 and 11 P.M. news hour and the executive producer of digital content.
WISN-TV, the ABC station in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, has welcomed Mallory Anderson as live desk anchor for the weekday morning newscasts; she starts Nov. 15. Anderson comes from KRDO-TV in Colorado Springs, where she’s worked as a reporter and anchor since October 2021.
Marco Ramirez has been promoted to morning anchor for CBS-owned KGBT-TV in the Rio Grande Valley. He joined CBS 4 News and Nexstar Media Group sister-station NBC 23 News KVEO as a reporter in July 2021.
Events: Do you have an upcoming media industry event you want to share? Email us.
Media Moves: Keen to shout about a new job, change of beat, new launch or pick up some commissions? Email us.
The Cision research team makes thousands of media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.