Gillian Wong has joined The New York Times Hong King bureau as senior Asia editor specializing in China. She previously spent three years at the Associated Press as news director, China, and before that worked for The Wall Street Journal for two years as tech correspondent.
FX and The New York Times have partnered for new series titled "The Weekly." The show, which will air on TV and stream on Hulu in early 2019, is a narrative documentary news program that includes one or two of The Times's biggest and most important visual stories each week. Viewers will be with those stories and the reporters as the show brings them to life. The following staff has been added to the story team:
- Dan Barry, who has been a national news columnist for the paper for years, will lend his expertise in storytelling. Barry joined The Times in 1995 and has since worked for Metro and News, including running the About New York and the This Land columns.
- Laura Kim, senior producer on the Facebook Live team, has also joined The Weekly team. Before joining The Times in 2017, she worked for MSNBC as a producer and digital producer for “Morning Joe.”
Sammy Roth is set to join the Los Angeles Times in December as a reporter covering energy. He comes from the Desert Sun, where he worked as energy reporter for four years. Before that, Roth was the editor in chief of the Columbia Daily Spectator, the student newspaper of Columbia University.
Ken Thomas has joined The Wall Street Journal as politics reporter to cover Democrats and the 2020 campaign. He was most recently a White House reporter for The Associated Press, and has covered politics for the AP since he joined the Washing bureau in 1999.
The Orange County Business Journal has promoted two of its staff to top editorial positions:
- Mark Mueller has been named editor of the outlet, succeeding Pete Weitzner. Mueller joined OCBJ in 2005 as a reporter, and most recently served as senior editor at the paper covering commercial and residential real estate.
- Peter Brennan has been named executive editor, a new position at the paper. He oversees coverage of financial, technology and leisure sectors as well as publicly traded companies. He has been with OCBJ since February 2017, when he joined the staff as finance editor. Before that he worked for Bloomberg for almost 15 years.
Hyper-local cable network Spectrum Network has launched Spectrum News 1 Southern California, a news operation focusing on in-depth reporting and long-form storytelling in Southern California. With the launch, comes the addition of the following newsroom staff:
- Giselle Fernandez has been named morning anchor of "The Beat on 1" morning newscast. She will co-anchor alongside Lisa McRee, Alex Cohen and Melvin Roberts. She will also host “LA Stories,” a weekly, one-hour documentary-style show featuring in-depth one-on-one interviews with local newsmakers and change agents in Southern California. Fernandez previously anchored NBC’s weekend edition of the “Today Show” and Sunday edition of the “NBC Nightly News.”
- Former radio host Alex Cohen joins as a host of “Inside The Issues,” a one-hour political program that will air every Monday to Thursday. He was most recently the local host of “Morning Edition” on NPR.
- Melvin Robert will host “The SoCal Scene” every Wednesday. The 30-minute insider’s guide to local arts and culture will explore the latest art exhibits, movie premieres, live events, and nightlife experiences across Southern California. Over the years, he has appeared on “The Wendy Williams Show,” “Access Hollywood LIVE,” “The Young Turks,” “Lip.TV,” “KTLA-5 Morning News” and “Good Day LA.”
- Catalina Villegas joins as a reporter focusing on West Los Angeles. She comes from Univision, where he spent the last year as a producer.
The Cision research team makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! If you have a media move, send it to email@example.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/media_moves.
Most Recent Posts
Cision Blogs Topics
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.