Top 10 news apps for the iPhone
Kimberly Yount is a Media Relations Assistant in Cision’s Broadcast Monitoring group in Oakland.
According to an NPR report, the average American spends two to three years waiting in line. We all know what it’s like to be bored waiting in line . What do you usually do?
With the dawn of the smartphone, our options while standing in line are almost limitless. Not only can you juggle your bank account with the touch of a finger, you can read the most up-to-date news, play a game of scrabble, tweet to a celebrity & watch your favorite sports team’s latest highlights.
Here are some of the best free iPhone apps created by news organizations that deliver up-to-the-minute news and multimedia content.
1. New York Times – Up-to-date news and information on your iPhone. It lets you access the latest news and photos, customize your news category display, and read articles even when you are offline.
2. BBC Reader – Not only can you keep up with what’s going on in the US, but there is a tab for the UK. There is an image slideshow and also offers the capability to read while offline, as the information is stored in your phone’s cache.
3. Discovery Channel – Addicted to watching the Discovery Channel? This app will hold you over until you can get home. You can get up-to-date news, check out quizzes, watch TV clips, purchase programs to watch on your home computer and of course double check the channel’s TV schedule to make sure you get home in time to catch Cash Cab or Dirty Jobs.
4. NPR News – This great news app links you to over 1,000 NPR radio stations; you can listen to your favorite NPR radio station wherever you are. You can archive/make a playlist of what you’d like to listen to for a later time if you’re currently busy listening to something else.
5. Tv.com – Streaming video content from CBS (including CBS News, Sports, and Radio), the CW, and Showtime, as well as CBS-owned CNET, etc. The content is mostly clips, promos & interviews and you’ll be able to find some full episodes that you can watch right on your phone.
6. Bloomberg – This app tracks your stocks, which you’re free to customize, and keeps you in the know of the latest financial news. This app is easy to use and aesthetically pleasing.
7. Wall Street Journal – This app features exclusive WSJ videos as well as radio podcasts. It’s another good news source to keep you up to date. You can save articles to your phone and share them easily with friends.
8. Time – This app is a great resource of up-to-date news articles, Time’s top ten lists, photo essays, some great video. Automatic data push keeps you up-to-date even if you’re offline.
9. Popular Science – This one helps you keep up with news technology, scientific research, and especially new gadgets. What I found especially cool was the tabs at the bottom for Green Technology & DIY.
10. Today Show – Did you miss Matt & Meredith this morning? Well this app brings the highest ranked morning television show right to your phone. Not only can you watch or listen to today’s episode, you can jump around and check out interviews you want to re-watch. Don’t forget to check out the latest trends, health issues, fashion segments and much more available through this app.
I hope some of these will ease your pain while standing in line for your coffee tomorrow morning.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.