Magazine industry developments in the New Year
- Last year GQ expanded its branding by opening posh bars in areas like Moscow and Dubai. This year they’re expanding the brand a little closer to home by opening a GQ Barbershop in New York City. According to AdWeek.com, the barbershop is a partnership with Fellow Barber, a shaving emporium. The shop will open at Barclays Center, a sports stadium in Brooklyn.
- Although media and marketing industry magazine Advertising Age is reducing its print frequency to 25 issues a year, down from 45 issues per year, it is also adding to the magazine. Folio.com reported that publishers are planning on increasing its page count by 50 percent as well as adding new features and revamping its website.
- Ad Age isn’t the only magazine making some cuts. Bauer Publishing is planning to cut Closer magazine’s circulation down from 150,000 to 100,000. The celebrity weekly was only launched a few months ago and targets 40-something women.
- Gun magazines are apparently doing well, reported AdAge.com. Gun and ammunition-related magazines tend to do better “when gun owners feel their rights are being threatened,” Media Industry Newsletter editor in chief Steve Cohn told AdAge.com. As a result, consumer demand is growing. Some examples include Guns & Ammo magazine, which has seen a circulation hike of 7 percent, while Handguns saw readership go up by 16 percent.
- Forbes magazine recently launched its own social network called Stream. According to MediaPost.com, the feature, which is part of the magazine’s new app for iOS, lets readers save, share and find content from the magazine as well as the website. It also allows for editorial content and sponsored content (the hot new way to advertise) to flow together better.
It may just be the beginning of 2014, but from month one it looks as if there will be plenty of changes and innovations to come from the magazine industry.
–Katrina M. Mendolera
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.