5 Ways to Enhance Your PR Efforts
Sometimes, the simplest changes can have the biggest impact. This is the case with our list below, which offers you five ways to enhance your PR outreach. Take 30 minutes each day to work on one of these areas and in a matter of weeks, you’ll have a more-targeted PR strategy and skills that are ever-evolving with the industry.
1) Clean up your contact lists—Building relationships and connecting with influencers is one of the core functions of public relations. It’s important to review your media list once a quarter or more to make sure your contacts’ coverage area or outlet hasn’t changed, look for new contacts, and reach out to see how your contacts are doing. Getting in the habit of doing this 4 or more times a year will ensure your brand is top-of-mind, and will help you to build and nurture strong relationships. Tools like Cision’s media database will help you keep up with media changes, and offer a quick way to identify influencers in your industry.
2) Review Metrics—It’s important to measure and analyze campaign output so you can course correct and deliver the best results. Hopefully you’re already aligning campaigns with goals and measuring as you go, but take some time to take a deep dive into your metrics. Whether you’re looking at vanity metrics like followers, likes and retweets; content metrics like visitors and bounce rate; or the holy grail, conversion metrics like downloads, demo requests or sales, see if you can find any trends. Does your beauty content get the most traction on Pinterest? Do you have a high bounce rate when there’s a call-to-action at the top of your content? Are readers not converting when you add a pop-up subscribe box to your site? This kind of intel helps you to better understand your audience and, when used as insight for future campaigns, helps drive better return.
3) Pick up a new skill—Even though traditional education ends when we receive our diploma, to keep relevant in your industry it’s important to always be a student of your craft. Seek out webinars and other resources from industry leaders, or even pick up a new skill relevant to your industry, like coding, SEO or graphic design.
4) Get creative—The digital world has given us new opportunities to connect with our end-users, making traditional media just one of the many ways we can reach our audience. Take time to think of creative ways you can reach and grow brand awareness and share news. Content marketing is one way to reach new audiences, and with that comes amplification. Which platforms are your target audience using and how can you reach them in a natural way? Ask yourself this question and see where it leads you.
5) Organize your social channels—With 42 percent of online adults using social networking sites, it’s a good way to grow your audience. To drive the best results, keep your social platforms organized with the built-in tools they offer, and update quarterly. On Twitter, you can use the list function to make a public or private list of specific users. For example, you could keep all food contacts in one list so you can quickly see what individuals in your network are discussing, while keeping a separate list of beauty contacts. Keeping these networks organized will help you use these channels efficiently.
For more PR tips, register for our free May 21 webinar with Gini Dietrich, Stop the Spin: Earning Consumer Trust.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.