CisionScoops at Gizmodo, POPSUGAR & Savannah Mag, Plus More Media Updates
Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The New York Times welcomed a new voice to its opinion section, feminist writer Lindy West. Her column will run weekly. West was previously a culture writer at GQ.com, and a staff writer at Jezebel before that. She is the author of Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman.
- CisionScoop: News editor Sophie Kleeman stepped down at Gizmodo after six months in the role. She joined the blog as a staff writer last February, having previously worked in the same capacity at Mic.
- Mark Solheim replaced Janet Bodnar as editor in chief at Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Bodnar will continue writing her column, Money Smart Women. She took the helm in 2009 after spending three decades at the magazine as a writer, and later, deputy editor. Solheim has served in a variety of roles at Kiplinger’s, including senior editor, managing editor, chief copy editor and lead writer.
- Matt Murray was promoted to executive editor at The Wall Street Journal, the sole deputy to editor Gerard Baker, overseeing news across all WSJ platforms. Murray previously served as deputy editor in chief since 2013, and joined the paper as a reporter for its Pittsburgh bureau. h/t Talking Biz News
- Meredith Bennett-Smith is now editor at THINK, a forthcoming commentary vertical from NBC News. Bennet-Smith joins from Atlantic Media’s Quartz, where she was deputy ideas editor since 2015. She previously edited the identities section at Mic.
- The Atlantic upped Matt Thompson and Adrienne LaFrance to executive editor and editor of TheAtlantic.com, respectively. Thompson served as deputy editor for the website since joining the magazine from NPR’s Code Switch in early 2015. LaFrance joined The Atlantic as a member of its tech team in April 2014.
- CisionScoop: POPSUGAR brought on Dawn Davis as an editorial director overseeing Makeup.com. She comes from Total Beauty, where she was on staff since 2012. Davis previously worked in fashion and beauty for Cosmopolitan, Harper’s Bazaar and Lucky Magazine.
- CisionScoop: Editor in chief Amy Paige Condon left Savannah Magazine last month and is succeeded by Emily Testa. Condon held the top spot since last May, and previously served as associate and digital editor.
- The New Yorker tapped Dan Oshinsky as director of newsletters. He held the same title at BuzzFeed for five years.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.