Buyouts at NYT, Moves at CBS and More Media Updates
Cision’s research department makes over 20,000 media updates to our influencer database each day! Here are the latest moves to keep your media lists up to date and on point. All CisionScoops reflect original reporting from the Media Research team; if you have a scoop, send it to email@example.com.
- Numerous employees at The New York Times have accepted buyouts. The departing employees are as follows:
- Phoenix bureau chief Fernanda Santos has accepted a buyout. She served in many roles at the paper since joining as a metro reporter in 2005.
- Michiko Kakutani, chief book critic, has accepted a buyout. Kakutani was a veteran at NYT, joining in 1979.
- Investigatve reporter James Risen has accepted a buyout. Risen served as a reporter for the paper for nearly two decades, starting in 1998.
- N.R. Kleinfield has accepted a buyout after 40 years at the paper, most recently serving as senior metro investigative reporter.
- Michael Gordon, who has covered national security since January, has accepted a buyout.
- David Dunlap has accepted a buyout. Dunlap has been with NYT since 1975, serving in several roles, most recently as metro reporter.
- Investigative reporter Barry Meier has accepted a buyout. He began reporting for the outlet in 1989, originally covering healthcare.
- Lizette Alvarez, bureau chief in Miami, has accepted a buyout. Another NYT veteran, Alvarez was with the paper for 22 years, and joined in 1995 as a metro reporter.
- Business reporter Diane Cardwell has accepted a buyout. She also has been with NYT since 1995, and has served as a bureau chief, metro reporter and editor.
- Senior staff editor and seat on the editorial board, Linda Cohn, has accepted a buyout. Cohn joined the publication in 1988.
- Anita Gates, culture desk editor, has accepted a buyout. Gates has been a critic and reporter for the paper for nearly 25 years.
- William Grimes, a nearly 30 year veteran, has accepted a buyout. He most recently served as an obituaries writer, and prior to that he was a restaurant critic and reporter.
- Culture staff editor Nancy Kenney has accepted a buyout. She began working at NYT in the fall of 1989as a visual arts and architecture editor.
- Andy Webster has accepted a buyout. He served as a culture staff editor and critic, reviewing film and theatre.
- Erik Piepenburg has accepted a buyout. He served as a senior staff editor covering theatre, film and pop culture. He was with the paper for 14 years.
- Science reporter Justin Gillis has stepped down from his role at NYT. He covered the science, environment and climate change.
- Tatiana Schlossberg has stepped down from her position as science reporter, where she covered the environment in the “Trilobites” feature.
- Fuse has welcomed Jennifer McGovern as its new SVP, current and development. McGovern has had a successful career in Television, serving in various roles at Fox Television Studios, TLC Entertainment, Oxygen Media and, most recently, VH1. Also joining Fuse is Patrick Courtney, who has been named SVP, digital strategy and operations. Prior to joining the network, Courtney served as director of marketing at Nearly Newlywed and SVP, programming and marketing strategy at Above Average.
- Dale Phelps, who has been serving as interim editor since April, has been named editor and vice president of news at The News Tribune. Prior to being named interim editor after the departure of Karen Peterson, Phelps was managing editor of the paper.
- James Bach has departed The Washington Business Journal to serve as an analyst for Bloomberg. Bach had been with the publication since the late summer of 2015.
- Editor in Chief Blaise Zerega has stepped down from his position at VentureBeat. Zerega came to the magazine in January 2016, after serving as the managing editor and president of Epic Magazine.
- ABC affiliate WMDT-TV has enlisted the talents of Erica Murphy, who now serves as a weekend anchor and weekday reporter. Murphy has served as a reporter for several radio and television stations including CBS Radio and Fox Television Studios.
Communications Best Practices
Get the latest updates on PR, communications and marketing best practices.
Cision Product News
Keep up with everything Cision. Check here for the most current product news.
Thought leadership and communications strategy for the C-suite written by the C-suite.
A blog for and about the media featuring trends, tips, tools, media moves and more.